• 3 Post By guitarzan
  • 2 Post By guitarzan
  • 1 Post By guitarzan
  • 1 Post By RaginCajun
  • 1 Post By RaginCajun

Thread: The US state that bans sparklers but not guns

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

The US state that bans sparklers but not guns

American firework laws may seem strict - but as the UK prepares for Bonfire Night, has the US got the right idea?

In Delaware, you don't need a licence to own a shotgun.

You don't need a permit to buy a shotgun or carry a shotgun.

If you're over 18, and you pass the background check, the state won't interfere with your shotgun.

Sparklers, however, are a different matter.

Guns v Sparklers
    ◾"A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state" (Delaware constitution, article 1, section 20)
    ◾"No person shall store, sell, offer or expose for sale, or have in possession...any fireworks" (Delaware code, title 16, section 6901)

Unless you have a permit for a public display, it is illegal to sell or possess fireworks in Delaware.
    That includes sparklers - which the law specifically mentions.The maximum fine is $100. Last year, 17 people were arrested in Delaware for fireworks offences.While the US constitution does uphold the right to bear arms, it doesn't uphold the right to bear roman candles.

In the US, firework laws vary from state to state, even town to town. Like Delaware, Massachusetts bans all consumer fireworks - including sparklers.

Illinois, Ohio, and Vermont ban everything but sparklers and novelty items. Other states ban anything that flies.

The laws mean firework stores are often found on state lines, so customers from one state can take advantage of laws in another.

Patriotic Fireworks is in Elkton, Maryland - six miles from the Delaware state line. It's a small, friendly store, found down a long, tree-lined track.

A pig-tailed dog called Princess Sofia says hello to customers. A sign on the door says: "Let freedom ring".

But they take the law seriously.

Firstly, they don't sell to people from Maryland. They could, but the state law is so complex, and so strict, it's not worth their time.

"I would have to dedicate a person to go round with each customer, to make sure they bought legal items," says owner April Frederici. "It's just easier not to."

They do sell to Delaware residents - "I can't be the world's policeman," says April - but every customer must sign a contract.

It states that fireworks will be used "in accordance with all state and local laws". It also says Patriotic will not be liable for any "accident or injury".

And when it comes to fireworks, accidents do happen. Just ask American football player Jason Pierre-Paul.
    The US state that bans sparklers but not guns - BBC News
    Obs likes this.

News hitting the headlines in the UK,

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    When you can't buy the fireworks you want, just make them! I have a shop dedicated to my hobby, making fireworks. Although I wasn't able to participate this time, some friends of mine have been out there since Friday making stuff to take to a big event in Florida this week. Here's some of their stuff
    The US state that bans sparklers but not guns-img_1281.jpgThe US state that bans sparklers but not guns-img_1282.jpg
    marcus300, Sh0tsf1red and Obs like this.

Btw, those are mortar fired shell!
    marcus300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    when you can't buy the fireworks you want, just make them! I have a shop dedicated to my hobby, making fireworks. Although i wasn't able to participate this time, some friends of mine have been out there since friday making stuff to take to a big event in florida this week. Here's some of their stuff
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1281.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	170839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	170840
    omfg

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    What you talking about. In Canada you cant have both. We spent 5 million on a gun registry software and they realized that they miss critical feature inthe software 1 year after it was in use and they cant "ADD" that feature in that software so they scratched it completely there goes 5 mil of tax payers.
    I still Love Canada.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarian View Post
    What you talking about. In Canada you cant have both. We spent 5 million on a gun registry software and they realized that they miss critical feature inthe software 1 year after it was in use and they cant "ADD" that feature in that software so they scratched it completely there goes 5 mil of tax payers.
    I still Love Canada.
    All that to realize criminals do not use guns registered to themselves...lol
    RaginCajun and 80svenicebb like this.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Sad it has to be that way here in NY just a few years ago they fireworks were allowed.But you always got a few idiots who do things with them that they are not suppose to adults 1 NFL player and gets hurt.This is why we get stupid laws because of STUPID people.
    80svenicebb likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    you can make a bomb with sparklers

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Freaking snowflakes! Just the same type of crap from liberal lawmakers. I have a conceal carry in one state but I drive through your state on a trip I can get arrested and charged with a felony. And if I have a fire cracker in my car another charge? SMH
    80svenicebb likes this.

You can make a bomb with household chemicals
    Obs likes this.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    From the Bob and Tom Show its Donnie Baker on Fireworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peSIVpgO1xM
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTahl View Post
    From the Bob and Tom Show its Donnie Baker on Fireworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peSIVpgO1xM
    Swear to gawd state law!

Obs
    When you can't buy the fireworks you want, just make them! I have a shop dedicated to my hobby, making fireworks. Although I wasn't able to participate this time, some friends of mine have been out there since Friday making stuff to take to a big event in Florida this week. Here's some of their stuff
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1281.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	170839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	170840
    I would love to blow shit up with you. We have several people in my are that have blessed me with the hobby of blowing stoves washing machines etc to bits.

I am not into the sparkle. Its the explosion and watching a microwave fly 150' in the air that turns me on.
    RaginCajun likes this.

Lol, we blew a freezer up yesterday! I'll post video as soon as my friend sends it to me
    RaginCajun, Obs and 80svenicebb like this.

Btw, i have a friend in Missouri that comes down sometimes. He actually makes and sells firework tooling
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Lol, we blew a freezer up yesterday! I'll post video as soon as my friend sends it to me
    I never got to play with tannerite but quarter half and full sticks are my best friend. Most people have no idea what a real m-80 does let alone a stick.

Obs
    Btw, i have a friend in Missouri that comes down sometimes. He actually makes and sells firework tooling
    Its in the dna here. I like shooting as much as the next guy but explosives are soo much more fun. You ain't living unless you are ducking for cover.

Come to think of it... Tannerite is king because you get to shoot it and then it blows up. Little alcohol mixed in...
    Fuck yes.
    Last edited by Obs; 11-02-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    80svenicebb likes this.

The US state that bans sparklers but not guns-img_0175.jpg

Here's a 14" shell I made in February. Weighed 40lbs and goes 1/4 mile high! Typically, the largest you'll see in a fireworks show is 6", weighing around 3lbs.
    80svenicebb, Obs and RaginCajun like this.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    American firework laws may seem strict - but as the UK prepares for Bonfire Night, has the US got the right idea?

In Delaware, you don't need a licence to own a shotgun.

You don't need a permit to buy a shotgun or carry a shotgun.

If you're over 18, and you pass the background check, the state won't interfere with your shotgun.

Sparklers, however, are a different matter.

Guns v Sparklers
    ◾"A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state" (Delaware constitution, article 1, section 20)
    ◾"No person shall store, sell, offer or expose for sale, or have in possession...any fireworks" (Delaware code, title 16, section 6901)

Unless you have a permit for a public display, it is illegal to sell or possess fireworks in Delaware.
    That includes sparklers - which the law specifically mentions.The maximum fine is $100. Last year, 17 people were arrested in Delaware for fireworks offences.While the US constitution does uphold the right to bear arms, it doesn't uphold the right to bear roman candles.

In the US, firework laws vary from state to state, even town to town. Like Delaware, Massachusetts bans all consumer fireworks - including sparklers.

Illinois, Ohio, and Vermont ban everything but sparklers and novelty items. Other states ban anything that flies.

The laws mean firework stores are often found on state lines, so customers from one state can take advantage of laws in another.

Patriotic Fireworks is in Elkton, Maryland - six miles from the Delaware state line. It's a small, friendly store, found down a long, tree-lined track.

A pig-tailed dog called Princess Sofia says hello to customers. A sign on the door says: "Let freedom ring".

But they take the law seriously.

Firstly, they don't sell to people from Maryland. They could, but the state law is so complex, and so strict, it's not worth their time.

"I would have to dedicate a person to go round with each customer, to make sure they bought legal items," says owner April Frederici. "It's just easier not to."

They do sell to Delaware residents - "I can't be the world's policeman," says April - but every customer must sign a contract.

It states that fireworks will be used "in accordance with all state and local laws". It also says Patriotic will not be liable for any "accident or injury".

And when it comes to fireworks, accidents do happen. Just ask American football player Jason Pierre-Paul.
    The US state that bans sparklers but not guns - BBC News
    You can also walk into Wal-Mart and buy a Thompson center 50 cal muzzle loader over the counter. No background check needed..

The US state that bans sparklers but not guns-img_0490.jpg

One of my rockets lol.
    Look how fat I was in February!
    Obs and 80svenicebb like this.

Obs
    Insanely jealous guitarzan!

Haha, we do have fun!
    80svenicebb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    I never got to play with tannerite but quarter half and full sticks are my best friend. Most people have no idea what a real m-80 does let alone a stick.
    That shit should not be legal
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    That shit should not be legal
    It isnt legal... Its like the only illegal thing I do! Golly

Obs
    By that I mean tannerite is legal. The shit I use and do isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    By that I mean tannerite is legal. The shit I use and do isnt.
    yeah, exactly

it should not be legal to buy that shit. i have seen cars blow up, huge crater! haha!
    Obs likes this.

Sh0tsf1red is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    yeah, exactly

it should not be legal to buy that shit. i have seen cars blow up, huge crater! haha!

"Shall not be infringed"

Thread Information