Squatman51 is offline Senior Member

Starting morning cardio

i will be starting morning cardio on an empty stomach... my question is what is the best way to lose fat while keeping as much muscle as possible.....I hear walking at an incline is the best? any suggestions?

kamchez is offline Junior Member
    the stairmaster works great for me , are you on any juice right now ?

nope no juice for me yet

probably in about 2 years or so

D9S0M is offline Associate Member
    set the incline to it cant go anymore and walk @ 3 that gets my heart rate up

Zapp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kamchez
    the stairmaster works great for me , are you on any juice right now ?
    I agree. Lost three inches off of my waist doing the SM 30 min after every workout except on leg day. I do a 5 on 1 off. Never lost any size.

I thought it was best to do low intensity cardio for a longer period of time to burn fat?

What would be the best meal to take in after doing cardio on an empty stomack? Whey protein and fat.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    ZAP that is great news, i need to lose 3 inches on my waiste has well. I started stairmaster last week at 30 minutes twice a week.

The lower back seems to be doing fine (Stiking back problems), i will up this to 5 times a week and see what it does for me.

Zapp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick32
    ZAP that is great news, i need to lose 3 inches on my waiste has well. I started stairmaster last week at 30 minutes twice a week.

The lower back seems to be doing fine (Stiking back problems), i will up this to 5 times a week and see what it does for me.
    I would bump it up to at least 4 or5 times a week bro. Be sure to keep your protein level at your body weight. I weigh 210 and made sure I had at least that many grams of protein if not more every day. Also kept my carb level right at or below 150g a day. Good luck bro. Let me know how it goes.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I cut the carbs bigtime when I was cutting and that seemed to make me lose my muscle/strength...

DerDon is offline Junior Member
    About doing cardio on empty stomach, I was just pointed out to this website where this guy is totally against cardio on empty stomach. Now I been doing am cardio on empty stomach for about 2 weeks now, and thought i was doing the right thing. Now I see this site and begin to think twice. Whats right and whats wrong? What do u guys thinK?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek34.htm

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Do not listen to that ass clown, I would love to get into the whole morning cardio thing but there's always so uneducated jackass writing articles like that.....Someone posts them up here almost everyday...Morning cardio is proven, both scientifically and in the real world, that why people advise it.

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Do not listen to that ass clown, I would love to get into the whole morning cardio thing but there's always so uneducated jackass writing articles like that.....Someone posts them up here almost everyday...Morning cardio is proven, both scientifically and in the real world, that why people advise it.
    Yup, last year I lost 15lbs just by switching my cardio from after workouts to in the am on an empty stomach. I didnt change my diet at all so it definitely works. Now I'm back at it again, doing it the PROPER way, on a cutting diet and doing am cardio. If definitely works, I did cardio after weight training for years and years and never lost a damn thing.

^ Thanks for clearing that up. Got me nervous that I wasnt doing the right thing and I was doing more harm than good.

freakintraining is offline Associate Member
    after your cardio are you free to eat a clean breakfast...ie. egg white shake fruit?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyKitty
    Yup, last year I lost 15lbs just by switching my cardio from after workouts to in the am on an empty stomach. I didnt change my diet at all so it definitely works. Now I'm back at it again, doing it the PROPER way, on a cutting diet and doing am cardio. If definitely works, I did cardio after weight training for years and years and never lost a damn thing.
    i agree Cardio after anaerobic exercise is a bad idea....been said so many times,

The Dynasty is offline Junior Member
    Try it 5 times a week for 2 months, and see how you tighten up so quickly (assuming diet and lifting is in check)

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerDon
    About doing cardio on empty stomach, I was just pointed out to this website where this guy is totally against cardio on empty stomach. Now I been doing am cardio on empty stomach for about 2 weeks now, and thought i was doing the right thing. Now I see this site and begin to think twice. Whats right and whats wrong? What do u guys thinK?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek34.htm

yea i just read the same article

there has always been arguments over this - the same guy suggested doin at least an hour of cardio at around 75% max heart rate

no wander he was loosing muscle if he was doing that in the morning

keep it low intensity - 50% - 65% - no more than an hour
    take glutamine, vit c, amino's and multi vit beforehand

^ Thanks GForce! I think Im going to stick with my a.m. routine. Im starting to see slight results already and I've only been eating good + cardio in morning for a little over 3 weeks now. I used to do cardio after workouts and hardly noticed any difference in bf%. I definitely think a.m. cardio on an empty stomach works much better. But ill add the vitamin C + amino acids before cardio. Could you tell me how vitamin c + amino acids would benefit? Just curious. I always did the glutamine and multi. How do I get a source of amino acids, is it just a certain kind of pill or powder? Ill do a search on it.
    Last edited by DerDon; 08-02-2005 at 11:45 PM.

vitamin c can decrease cortisol as well as help your multi vit get absorbed
    aminos help stop your muscle proteins breaking down during cardio

of course for more fat burning you could add an ECA stack
    ephedrine is also anti-catabolic - preserving your muscles further

aminos help stop your muscle proteins breaking down during cardio
    This is dead wrong, I have never seen any evidence that aminos will prevent catabolsim. The only thing that will happen with Amino's taken before cardio is the will be converted to glucose via Gluconeogenesis. Its a waste of money, IMO. Unless your diet is god awful and you are starving yourself like there is no tomorrow, catabolism is very very overrated. Your body does not simple start to eat itself after 8 hours of not eating, this notion is absurd. If you are very worried about Cortisol in the moring, take Lean Extreme or something of that nature upon waking. Low Intensity cardio has no reason to touch muscle protein as there will be plenty of fat available to energy use.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    This is dead wrong, I have never seen any evidence that aminos will prevent catabolsim. The only thing that will happen with Amino's taken before cardio is the will be converted to glucose via Gluconeogenesis. Its a waste of money, IMO. Unless your diet is god awful and you are starving yourself like there is no tomorrow, catabolism is very very overrated. Your body does not simple start to eat itself after 8 hours of not eating, this notion is absurd. If you are very worried about Cortisol in the moring, take Lean Extreme or something of that nature upon waking. Low Intensity cardio has no reason to touch muscle protein as there will be plenty of fat available to energy use.
    Am cardio is CATABOLIC

sorry bro this is the last time i promise

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    Am cardio is CATABOLIC

sorry bro this is the last time i promise

only if you dont take the necessary precautions before hand

Low intensity cardio in the morning with the correct supplements is not catabolic

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    only if you dont take the necessary precautions before hand

Low intensity cardio in the morning with the correct supplements is not catabolic
    ...I know bro.......I just like messin with Giantz11 HAHAHA

huh?

why would your body choose to turn amino's into glucose for energy when it has fat stores and any excess carbs to use as energy

and i never said amino's were anti-catabolic - but i do believe they are beneficial to take before cardio so your muscles arent completely deprived of protein

this is the only time amino's are useful in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    ...I know bro.......I just like messin with Giantz11 HAHAHA

oh right fair enough

why would your body choose to turn amino's into glucose for energy when it has fat stores and any excess carbs to use as energy
    Because your body will use anything you have eaten before it turns to anything else! You said it before catabolism is not an issue as well as low intensity burns fat, so there is no need to use aminos because muscle protein was never in jeopardy anyways.

hmmm

i see what you are saying, although i have never heard of them being turned into glucose - if this is true i wander why i consistently read of pro bodybuilders taking amino's before cadio

how did u hear about this anyway?

It's basic Physiology, pick up any text and you can read this. Amino's are protein and do have a caloric content, just look at the label. They will be used as fuel just as anything you ingest prior to cardio. IMO the best place for Amino's is pre, during and post workout. Leucine is directly correlated to protein synthesis and whenever you can add it, it would be of great benefit. Plus, take the pro "routines" with a grain of salt, first and foremost they are bullshit and secondly the drugs these guys are on can make up for eating Ice Cream and Steak pre cadio.

yeah i suppose you have to watch out for pro's supplement lists as they are probably getting paid to mention supplements they may not even be taking

i have always taken amino's before cardio as your body hasnt had protein for 8hours and the addition of 5g of amino's helps puts the body back into an anabolic state after resting

i have always taken amino's before cardio as your body hasnt had protein for 8hours and the addition of 5g of amino's helps puts the body back into an anabolic state after resting
    I don't mean to harp on you but this is also untrue when, the body tends to be in one state or the other. Either you are fully catabolic or fully anabolic ....That is the difference between Cutting and Bulking, which is also the reason you cannot gain muscle mass during a cutting phase. Plain and simple if you are hypocaloric you are in a catabolic state, does this mean muscle wasting, no, catabolic means the breakdown of tissue for energy, which in this case would be fat, so its all good.

its cool

i dont have enough knowledge on the subject to really agree or disagree with you, i am just trying to understand as best i can

No worries bro, alot of misconception out there.

Loads of good info right there. Thanks fellas.

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't mean to harp on you but this is also untrue when, the body tends to be in one state or the other. Either you are fully catabolic or fully anabolic ....That is the difference between Cutting and Bulking, which is also the reason you cannot gain muscle mass during a cutting phase. Plain and simple if you are hypocaloric you are in a catabolic state, does this mean muscle wasting, no, catabolic means the breakdown of tissue for energy, which in this case would be fat, so its all good.

You couldnt be more incorrect with that statement...

I know guys who diet up for shows, and my last cutting phase i put on at least 2-3 lbs of muscle with no gear.

Thread Information