Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

The truth about fats

Now this page is amazing. Im gonna some day dig through the references to make sure everything is accurate but it is all comon sense.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm#

After reading this Im seriously gonna restructure my fat intake. Greatly lower olive and flax and increse butter and egg.

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    yeah, i read on another board about some of these issues...whole milk is a staple to some (at least those who do not compete, like me), and egg yolks are very beneficial, i always leave a couple in...never heard about the butter, but that's good news, cuz i misses me some butta'!

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Hell yeah, I love me some good butter.

butter rox

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm glad you found this page.

I mentioned this about fats in another thread a while ago.

I had changed my fat in take some months back...and Johan you may recall me mentioning that this is the best i've felt while cutting EVER...and the strongest i've been...and i'm not using any anabolics.

I attribute this to the maintenance of hormone levels and the general feeling of well-being that lies in tandem with saturated fat ingestion. (whole eggs are a feel-good food )

In total i feel 100% healthier...It may be placebo...but i don't think so

Nark...
    Last edited by *Narkissos*; 08-09-2005 at 02:29 AM.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    so how much is a good level of saturated fat compared to mono/poly?

why is it every time you think you are eating right, some study comes along and tells you that your not

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    so how much is a good level of saturated fat compared to mono/poly?

why is it every time you think you are eating right, some study comes along and tells you that your not

I would say 5-6 grams of flax oil day is a good ammount and the rest should be pretty evenly divided betwen sat and mono. Just to make sure we get the mono benifits.
    A even mix betwen coconut oil and olive oil would be what I would want to consume but I cant get coconut oil here in sweden

Veretta21 is offline Junior Member
    ^^^Exactly what G-Force said----I wish we could know what is the correct way to eat for a healthy life---something always comes along and changes it

well imo eating the healthy way is eating the way we ate when the human race evolved. How do primitive tribes eat?

They DONT have any degenerative diseases like cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, arthritis and so on.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    nice post...johan you always have something good to read

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    A even mix betwen coconut oil and olive oil would be what I would want to consume
    That mix is what i'm consuming right now. The two don't mix homogenously..probably due to differences in composition (the coconut oil is a lot denser)...So i just add 1tbsp of each...a sprinkle of oregano and stir it...call it salad dressing

sounds good Damn I hate my country I want some god damn virgine coconut oil

the caprylic acid in it is ****ing great. I cant get pure caprylic acid either here since its clasified as a medication and the licenses needed to sell it is way to expensive for any supplement company to be able to afford. Another blow by the pharmacutical companies against supp companies.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I cant read....

how bout a sample cut and paste of your modified diet then of what you would LIKE to do there Johan.

my good ol buddy ol pal ol friend for me and my fatt azz.

my diet right now is totaly wierd and almost exclusivly shakes.

hmm I can post what my ideal diet imo with supps included. would be for lean bulking but today Im to tired(16th day in a row working god damn). Il try to get it done before I leave for my girl this thursday

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    you do it...whenever your GATDAMN READY MY SHAKE LOVIN BROTHAH!!

hope you and your woman are doin good....

EH, tell me what you did that night when you were gonna make er some grub? what happened bud?

Cost me bundle to get a couple bottles of the stuff Johan.

I had to catcha plane and go to one of my neighbouring Caribbean relatives to get a bottle of the stuff. My grandmum is in St.lucia for a lil bit...so i'll get her to send me a couple more bottles

Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    you do it...whenever your GATDAMN READY MY SHAKE LOVIN BROTHAH!!

hope you and your woman are doin good....

EH, tell me what you did that night when you were gonna make er some grub? what happened bud?
    Yeah we are doing good. The distance is hell but nothing unmanagable.

the night got turned uppside down since she wanted to meet out on town. But I did give her a nice massage and we had plenty of sex

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Cost me bundle to get a couple bottles of the stuff Johan.

I had to catcha plane and go to one of my neighbouring Caribbean relatives to get a bottle of the stuff. My grandmum is in St.lucia for a lil bit...so i'll get her to send me a couple more bottles
    I guess I need to order it from some other EU country. To bad the mct oils aviable have so low caprylic acid content. Sux. Someone somewhere in sweden muyst know where to get it. Il ****ing grow my own palm tree if I have to.

Dude you need to be giving her the sex and you getting the massge....I keep trying with my girl and well, it doesn't happen

So I gotta shell out $100 for a message

lol shouldnt be to hard to convince her

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    I agree with many of the things this article says, however, If I were a "non-diet and excercise" educated indvidual, this article would be highly mis-leading.

Yes, it discusses the benefits of saturated fats
    Yes, it discusses the benefits of EFA's and the importance of having them in the correct proportion
    Yes, it discusses the hazards of highly processed and hydrogenated fats, which we have known for a long time

What is missing and very important though is THE PERCENTAGE of fat that one's diet should be made up of (unless of course I just missed it, correct me if I have). See if I didnt know anything, I would read this article and think woohoo! I can eat as much fat as I want, look how gooood it is for you.

She says there is no link bw saturated fats and heart disease, ok fine. But the fact is that fats are high in calories, so if consumed in excess of what our body needs (even if they are "good fat") they'll be stored as body fat and as bodyfat goes up, the risk of being overweight or being obese goes up, and then, the risk of diabetes and heart disease goes up as well. So in a way, yes, there is an indirect link. This is common knowledge that I dont think anyone would disagree with.

Anyway, just my 2cents. A very interesting article, some good facts, but a bit misleading as well.

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    Oh, and if all this was mentioned in the article but I missed it cause I'm so damn tired then IGNORE the above post.

true kitty. Ohh well what non exercising people would think when reading it doesnt bother me that much to be honest.

I havent set my mind yet on if I think a diet should have a high or semi low E% as fat or not. tricky.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    true kitty. Ohh well what non exercising people would think when reading it doesnt bother me that much to be honest.

I havent set my mind yet on if I think a diet should have a high or semi low E% as fat or not. tricky.

i'm gonna wait for you to make up youre mind then copy you

Johan, check this out:

The influence of the type of dietary fat on postprandial fat oxidation rates: monounsaturated (olive oil) vs saturated fat (cream).

Piers LS, Walker KZ, Stoney RM, Soares MJ, O'Dea K.

Menzies School of Health Research, Casuarina, Australia. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: To compare postprandial whole-body fat oxidation rates in humans, following high-fat (43% of total energy) mixed breakfast meals, of fixed energy and macronutrient composition, rich in either monounsaturated fat (MUFA) from extra virgin olive oil or saturated fat (SFA) from cream. DESIGN: Paired comparison of resting metabolic rate (RMR), thermic effect of a meal and substrate oxidation rates following consumption of isocaloric breakfast meals, differing only in the type of fat, administered in random order 1-2 weeks apart. SUBJECTS: Fourteen male volunteers, body mass index (BMI) in the range 20-32 kg/m(2), aged 24-49 y and resident in Melbourne, Australia, were recruited by advertisement in the local media or by personal contact. MEASUREMENTS: Body size and composition was determined by anthropometry and dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). Indirect calorimetry was used to measure RMR, thermic effect of a meal, post-meal total energy expenditure and substrate oxidation rate. Blood pressure and pulse rates were measured with an automated oscillometric system. Fasting and 2 h postprandial glucose and insulin concentrations and the fasting lipid profile were also determined. RESULTS: In the 5 h following the MUFA breakfast, there was a significantly greater postprandial fat oxidation rate (3.08+/-4.58 g/5 h, P=0.017), and lower postprandial carbohydrate oxidation rate (P=0.025), than after the SFA breakfast. Thermic effect of a meal was significantly higher (55 kJ/5 h, P=0.034) after the MUFA breakfast, in subjects with a high waist circumference (HWC > or = 99 cm) than those with a low waist circumference (LWC<99 cm). This difference was not detected following the SFA breakfast (P=0.910). CONCLUSION: If postprandial fat oxidation rates are higher after high MUFA, rather than SFA meals, then a simple change to the type of dietary fat consumed might have beneficial effects in curbing weight gain in men consuming a relatively high-fat diet. This may be particularly evident in men with a large waist circumference.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    intresting...those are the types of fats to use and avoid from johan's other post

The following nutrient-rich traditional fats have nourished healthy population groups for thousands of years:

Butter
    Beef and lamb tallow
    Lard
    Chicken, goose and duck fat
    Coconut, palm and sesame oils
    Cold pressed olive oil
    Cold pressed flax oil
    Marine oils
    The following new-fangled fats can cause cancer, heart disease, immune system dysfunction, sterility, learning disabilities, growth problems and osteoporosis:

All hydrogenated oils
    Soy, corn and safflower oils
    Cottonseed oil
    Canola oil
    All fats heated to very high temperatures in processing and frying

I think pehaps that Monounsaturated fats elevate oxidation rates, also oilve oil is on his good list so its looks like its just further proof. Perhaps, something like oilve oil before bed or at breakfast would be beneficial due to the fact that fat oxidation rates are higher after a meal.

interesting study. But I would like to se the same done with mct fats aswell. Since butter for instance is rich in capric acid and other short and medium chain fatty acids maby butter is used more easily than olive oil?

We 3 should put our heads togheter and find out what fat combination boosts metabolism the most

Replacing 40% of dietary animal fat with vegetable oil is associated with lower HDL cholesterol and higher cholesterol ester transfer protein in cynomolgus monkeys fed sufficient linoleic acid.

Gupta SV, Yamada N, Fungwe TV, Khosla P.

Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA.

This study was designed to evaluate whether replacing approximately 40 g/100 g dietary animal fat with vegetable oil would improve plasma lipids and lipoproteins when diets contained prudent levels of total saturated acid (SFA), monounsaturated acid (MUFA) and PUFA. Using a cross-over design, male Cynomolgus monkeys (n = 10) were fed purified diets containing a mixture of fats. For the diet based on animal fat (AF-diet), approximately 85 g/100 g of the total fat was derived from pork fat, and approximately 40 g/100 g of this was replaced with olive oil for the vegetable oil-based diet (VO-diet). Thus, the fat content of the VO diet comprised 50% pork fat and 35% olive oil. The remaining 15% of the total fat (for both diets) was safflower oil. Both diets provided approximately 30% of total energy (%en) from fat, <10%en SFA and approximately 6-7%en from PUFA. Monkeys were rotated through two 7-wk feeding periods, during which time plasma lipids and lipoproteins were evaluated. Compared with the AF diet, plasma total cholesterol (TC) concentrations tended to be lower ( approximately 10%) after monkeys consumed the VO diet (3.18 +/- 0.83 vs. 3.52 +/- 0.93 mmol/L, P = 0.099), and this was due entirely to a significant 12% reduction in HDL cholesterol (1.53 +/- 0.41 vs. 1.73 +/- 0.47, mmol/L, P = 0.0009). Although plasma lipoprotein compositional analyses revealed no significant differences in either lipoprotein composition or the estimated particle diameters, the measurement of cholesterol ester transfer protein (CETP) using (3)H-cholesterol ester-labeled HDL revealed that the lower HDL cholesterol (HDL-C) when monkeys consumed the VO diet was associated with a 31% increase in transfer (P = 0.04). However, despite the changes in HDL-C, the TC/HDL-C ratio did not differ between monkeys after the two diet treatments. Regression analyses of data from these monkeys revealed a significant correlation between the dietary 16:0/18:2 ratio and plasma HDL-C. These data suggest that within the context of currently recommended prudent diets, it may be possible to manipulate HDL-C beneficially. Whether a similar effect would occur in humans warrants investigation.

PMID: 12888644 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    In monkies replacing animal fat with vegitable fat produces a negative change in cholesterol

Damn Monkies

Thread Information