Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mfenske is offline Member
    The best WBD I've ever seen (personally that is) was a Blazer that had 22 Image Dynamics 12" IDQ series drivers. The glass was 2" thick Lexan and the doors and panels of the truck were filled with cement to reduce resonance. It mic'd out at 173.9 db. That's FREAKIN' LOUD!!!! The rafters in a building over 300 yards away was vibrating. Mark

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I've never seen one this big before
    thats what your girl told me last night

and who the hell bumped a thread 1.5 yrs old!

doctorherb is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate

your not helping things jackazz!!

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    thats what hurbs ass told me last night
    I believe you!

doctorherb is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I believe you!

I know you love me...you still got my pics up in your bedroom??

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorherb
    I know you love me...you still got my pics up in your bedroom??
    LOL, nah Just your moms. She got bigger muscles for pulling my member.

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfenske
    The best WBD I've ever seen (personally that is) was a Blazer that had 22 Image Dynamics 12" IDQ series drivers. The glass was 2" thick Lexan and the doors and panels of the truck were filled with cement to reduce resonance. It mic'd out at 173.9 db. That's FREAKIN' LOUD!!!! The rafters in a building over 300 yards away was vibrating. Mark
    that's damn loud. i've seen 3 differenet small car hatchbacks at the same show hitting anywhere from 168-171db with 4, 15" woofers. needless to say they were throwing about 7,000-10,000 watts to each speaker. those idq woofers aren't all that strong but if you get 22 of em it's going to be almost impossible to not make it loud.

That sub is very real. Practical? Nope, but it is real. In regards to blowing a window I've only seen it happen a handful of times and most of those times were by folks that had many drivers and tons of power, like 24 15" subs and kilowatts of power. Anyone that tells you they blew out a window that doesn't have anywhere near that much equipment or power is full of $hit, unless they accidentally dropped a sub through the window. FYI a speaker's magnet has absolutely no effect on the car other than added weight, except for if it was strong enough to change the Earth's magnetic fields. Lastly with today's more efficient amps (classes D, H, T, X etc.) you can get large amounts of power with reasonably low current draw. Sorry about the rant. Guess you can't tell I'm an A/V Tech. by trade huh? Mark
    when you say blowing out a window are you talking about actually shooting it out of the car? i don't think i've ever heard of that happening but i'm sure someones done it. i've spidered 2 windshields within about a 2 month period with only 4, 15's. i had 3,000 watts strapped on each one though hitting at my best 159.8db. my current draw was somewhere around 700 amps with 4 class d amps and a highs amp. had 5 batteries also.

Quote Originally Posted by punchrf
    when you say blowing out a window are you talking about actually shooting it out of the car? i don't think i've ever heard of that happening but i'm sure someones done it. i've spidered 2 windshields within about a 2 month period with only 4, 15's. i had 3,000 watts strapped on each one though hitting at my best 159.8db. my current draw was somewhere around 700 amps with 4 class d amps and a highs amp. had 5 batteries also.
    I am referring to blowing the seal around the windshield and causing the window to fall out, breaking on impact. It's pretty rare to see anything near that. When I sold car audio retail I had a kid that insisted his "buddy's" 2 10's was hitting 180db and blew out his back window. Jackass. Mark

My bad. I was doing a search for the Research Chem co that used to advertise here and found this thread. That said, being the A/V dork I am I couldn't resist. Mark

I am referring to blowing the seal around the windshield and causing the window to fall out, breaking on impact. It's pretty rare to see anything near that. When I sold car audio retail I had a kid that insisted his "buddy's" 2 10's was hitting 180db and blew out his back window. Jackass. Mark
    that would be a sight to see. i kept getting sh!t from people in my town for awhile because i have a jackass friend and when i told him i almost hit 160db but couldn't quite get there he managed to start telling people i was hitting over 200db. he has a big mouth too. i think the loudest so far was 181db last year but that was outlaw. i think 176 or 177db is the legal world record.

that would be a sight to see. i kept getting sh!t from people in my town for awhile because i have a jackass friend and when i told him i almost hit 160db but couldn't quite get there he managed to start telling people i was hitting over 200db. he has a big mouth too. i think the loudest so far was 181db last year but that was outlaw. i think 176 or 177db is the legal world record.
    You are right on about the world record. It currently stands at 177.9db. I don't think people have any idea how loud that is. If memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always do) I believe that the maximum attainable score is about 195db in Earth's atomosphere. I'll do a little checking to see if I can back that up. If ya don't mind me asking what kind of vehicle and at what frequency did you do that? Mark

You are right on about the world record. It currently stands at 177.9db. I don't think people have any idea how loud that is. If memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always do) I believe that the maximum attainable score is about 195db in Earth's atomosphere. I'll do a little checking to see if I can back that up. If ya don't mind me asking what kind of vehicle and at what frequency did you do that? Mark
    it was a s10 blazer with 4 jl audio 15w3's and 4 crossfire 1000d amps rated at 2400 peak watts a piece but i had them modded and they were real close to 3000 watts peak output. can't remember the exact numbers as this was about 4 years ago. i could have probably got about 164-165 db out of it if i would have kept the blazer long enough to play with box configurations. i wanted to do a driver side port as they tend to get a little bit more decibals out of em for some reason. i think my port was like 32" tall by 14" wide in the center of the box. i've never heard that about 195db is the most that can be obtained. that's crazy that stereos are getting that close to it. even my 159db was insane. if a girl would sit in my blazer and i burped it, it would make there hair go straight out following the air movement. i miss that stereo. i'm in the process of another big system now. i'm putting 8, 15" mtx 8500 series subs in the extended cab of my truck in a sealed box. somewhere around 6000 watts rms total watts. it's going to get nutty. hoping for about 165-167db.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    lordblitz...werent you the guy on mtv with the pinto that got "pimp my ride" done
    I saw that.....

That was crazy!!!

~SC~

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Tgats a 10" sub, the car is tiny!

it was a s10 blazer with 4 jl audio 15w3's and 4 crossfire 1000d amps rated at 2400 peak watts a piece but i had them modded and they were real close to 3000 watts peak output. can't remember the exact numbers as this was about 4 years ago. i could have probably got about 164-165 db out of it if i would have kept the blazer long enough to play with box configurations. i wanted to do a driver side port as they tend to get a little bit more decibals out of em for some reason. i think my port was like 32" tall by 14" wide in the center of the box. i've never heard that about 195db is the most that can be obtained. that's crazy that stereos are getting that close to it. even my 159db was insane. if a girl would sit in my blazer and i burped it, it would make there hair go straight out following the air movement. i miss that stereo. i'm in the process of another big system now. i'm putting 8, 15" mtx 8500 series subs in the extended cab of my truck in a sealed box. somewhere around 6000 watts rms total watts. it's going to get nutty. hoping for about 165-167db.
    Cool. A friend of mine (honest I have the pics to prove it) when I was in HS, he was a little older, had 16 12" JL Audio 12W1's and 2 Phoenix Gold MS-2250's in an 2 door Blazer. The coolest thing about that truck is that he could hit the upper 150's at any frequency from 20hz on up. You haven't heard loud until you hear Bach's Toccata Fugue at 150db. Mark

Cool. A friend of mine (honest I have the pics to prove it) when I was in HS, he was a little older, had 16 12" JL Audio 12W1's and 2 Phoenix Gold MS-2250's in an 2 door Blazer. The coolest thing about that truck is that he could hit the upper 150's at any frequency from 20hz on up. You haven't heard loud until you hear Bach's Toccata Fugue at 150db. Mark
    that's insane. w1's? are those the free air series? i heard a vw jetta bout a year ago that had 4, 12" image dynamics idmax's in a free air set up firing into the trunk with the rear of the speaker exposed. that made my head feel like it was going to collapse and said it was low 150db's but real low frequencies like your buddies. it felt quite a bit louder than my 159.8db. i'm doing the 8, 15's in my truck just for the intimidation factor that it will have when people look in the truck. it would be fun to do something like 130, 6" speakers. always wanted to do something outrageous like that.

that's insane. w1's? are those the free air series? i heard a vw jetta bout a year ago that had 4, 12" image dynamics idmax's in a free air set up firing into the trunk with the rear of the speaker exposed. that made my head feel like it was going to collapse and said it was low 150db's but real low frequencies like your buddies. it felt quite a bit louder than my 159.8db. i'm doing the 8, 15's in my truck just for the intimidation factor that it will have when people look in the truck. it would be fun to do something like 130, 6" speakers. always wanted to do something outrageous like that.
    The W1's were JL Audio's entry level speaker back in the mid-nineties. The series you were thinking of were the IB4's, also a very good speaker for Infinite Baffle applications. Yeah, 8 15's sealed should hit the lows and be very intimidating. Ever consider using the bed instead for theft reasons? Mark

The W1's were JL Audio's entry level speaker back in the mid-nineties. The series you were thinking of were the IB4's, also a very good speaker for Infinite Baffle applications. Yeah, 8 15's sealed should hit the lows and be very intimidating. Ever consider using the bed instead for theft reasons? Mark
    don't want to cut a hole through to my bed. i'm putting the alarm on my truck that pages you up to 1/2 mile away if the alarm goes off and also putting lo jack on it. i'm insuring it to a high value also so i'm covered pretty good i think. always been careful with my stereos. i never played it real close to where i was going to be leaving it for awhile, if i saw someone behind me on my way home and the same car was following me for to long i would make some detours on the way home (actually had 3 asians follow me for 30 minutes one night till they realised i was driving in circles i guess), very picky about where i leave it too. i'm not implying that only asians steal stereo's but that's what nationality they were in the car from what i could see. i've always been fond of a wall of speakers, hence me using the cab of the truck. plus im getting a streetbike so i want to be able to have all that bed space because i drive to the coast twice a month and will be taking the bike over there but ususally have 1 passenger and that wouldn't be a fun 2.5 hour ride to the coast with 2 people on a crotch rocket.

don't want to cut a hole through to my bed. i'm putting the alarm on my truck that pages you up to 1/2 mile away if the alarm goes off and also putting lo jack on it. i'm insuring it to a high value also so i'm covered pretty good i think. always been careful with my stereos. i never played it real close to where i was going to be leaving it for awhile, if i saw someone behind me on my way home and the same car was following me for to long i would make some detours on the way home (actually had 3 asians follow me for 30 minutes one night till they realised i was driving in circles i guess), very picky about where i leave it too. i'm not implying that only asians steal stereo's but that's what nationality they were in the car from what i could see. i've always been fond of a wall of speakers, hence me using the cab of the truck. plus im getting a streetbike so i want to be able to have all that bed space because i drive to the coast twice a month and will be taking the bike over there but ususally have 1 passenger and that wouldn't be a fun 2.5 hour ride to the coast with 2 people on a crotch rocket.
    Getting your audio system jacked sucks. I lost about $7K between products and labor back in Y2K. Car hasn't been the same since. If there's anything I can do to help with the planning of the install lemme know. Quite frankly I enjoy planning systems out more than installing them. Mark

Getting your audio system jacked sucks. I lost about $7K between products and labor back in Y2K. Car hasn't been the same since. If there's anything I can do to help with the planning of the install lemme know. Quite frankly I enjoy planning systems out more than installing them. Mark
    will do. mainly the questions i have right now are about the alternators and keeping them seperate from the computer system of my truck. i'm going to be putting 3 alternators on. 2 for just stereo and for right now i'm planning on running 1, 0 gauge wire from each of the 2 stereo alternators fused with a 200 amp circuit breaker on each wire going to this 1 battery.

http://www.ephorizon.com/Horizon/Pro...oduct_Spec.htm

my question is will i have some wierd ground loop problem by running 2 wires from the alternator to the one battery? i don't think i will but not 100% sure on that. i can't wait to get it done, it should be intense.

will do. mainly the questions i have right now are about the alternators and keeping them seperate from the computer system of my truck. i'm going to be putting 3 alternators on. 2 for just stereo and for right now i'm planning on running 1, 0 gauge wire from each of the 2 stereo alternators fused with a 200 amp circuit breaker on each wire going to this 1 battery.

http://www.ephorizon.com/Horizon/Pro...oduct_Spec.htm

my question is will i have some wierd ground loop problem by running 2 wires from the alternator to the one battery? i don't think i will but not 100% sure on that. i can't wait to get it done, it should be intense.
    You, my friend, are doing things right. I see so many people trying to run kilowatts of power on a stock alternator. Maybe they'll add a cap if they're really loaded. I think as long as you keep the positives isolated you can probably ground them all to the same place. Also, check out termpro. One of the best audio boards on the web. http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bi...ultimatebb.cgi Mark

You, my friend, are doing things right. I see so many people trying to run kilowatts of power on a stock alternator. Maybe they'll add a cap if they're really loaded. I think as long as you keep the positives isolated you can probably ground them all to the same place. Also, check out termpro. One of the best audio boards on the web. http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bi...ultimatebb.cgi Mark
    i just recently bought a stereo shop so have to do things right. don't want customers to see some bunk work. i don't start till next week so i have a lot of things to learn starting next week. i know a good amount about system design but i don't know many people that will go to this extreme so there is not a whole lot of knowledge available that directly apply to my particular setup i'm designing. oh well, sealed box are relatively simple but the wiring and fiberglassing of amp racks is going to be tricky to fit it all in there and make it look clean.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    It's photoshopped simply because the bass' structure couldnt support it's own weight without the old school woofer suspension systems which absolutly kill the bass, especially if it was this big.

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    Thats not photoshopped man, i've got a buddy with a 32", it's stupid but it works, not practical at all, i've got 2 12's that sound better all around, the lag is rediculous with that speaker, it cant recover its self quick enough, but it's definately not photoshopped

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    It's photoshopped simply because the bass' structure couldnt support it's own weight without the old school woofer suspension systems which absolutly kill the bass, especially if it was this big.
    your right about it killing the bass but yes it is real. a stereo shop in my town had a clarion and it was kinda loud, comparable to a 15 but played quite a bit deeper frequencies. it's just to big to keep up with the movement a 60 hz frequency has. at 25hz it doesn't have to move as fast. they are very picky speakers about enclosures. they kept blowing the speaker. my buddy with 2 average 12" subs blew them out of the water at a stereo competition and i would say that the clarion is far superior in quality than audiobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    Like you're saying, if the woofer can't bring itself back to center fast enough that is a poor design. This is often why in lines of subwoofers it's wisest, if all subs have same size magnet and voice coils, to choose one of the smaller sizes as it should be better able to control the movement of the cone. Though not all large diameter speakers sound crappy. The JL Audio 18 inch woofers that I have heard sound fantastic. Another thing to consider is the enclosure that the woofer is placed in, a bad enclosure can cripple a great sub. The largest subwoofer I ever recall seeing was a joint venture between Richard Clark (who is a GOD amongst car audio geeks like me) and MTX I believe. It was 63" in diameter and was in a bread truck. Here's a couple of pics. Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How big is this speaker?-new-70b.gif   How big is this speaker?-new-73b.gif   How big is this speaker?-richard3-sml.jpg   How big is this speaker?-woofer3.jpg  

Like you're saying, if the woofer can't bring itself back to center fast enough that is a poor design. This is often why in lines of subwoofers it's wisest, if all subs have same size magnet and voice coils, to choose one of the smaller sizes as it should be better able to control the movement of the cone. Though not all large diameter speakers sound crappy. The JL Audio 18 inch woofers that I have heard sound fantastic. Another thing to consider is the enclosure that the woofer is placed in, a bad enclosure can cripple a great sub. The largest subwoofer I ever recall seeing was a joint venture between Richard Clark (who is a GOD amongst car audio geeks like me) and MTX I believe. It was 63" in diameter and was in a bread truck. Here's a couple of pics. Mark
    from what i was being told about this woofer was that they couldn't get the doors to stay shut and the frequency that it played was so deep that it was making people close by throw up. how much of that is true i don't know since it was all 2nd hand conversation.

from what i was being told about this woofer was that they couldn't get the doors to stay shut and the frequency that it played was so deep that it was making people close by throw up. how much of that is true i don't know since it was all 2nd hand conversation.
    Knowing RC's reputation I doubt it. I think it was scrapped for financial reasons. Mark

Knowing RC's reputation I doubt it. I think it was scrapped for financial reasons. Mark
    heard that also. i really served no practical use. there really is nothing that would fit in besides home theater or concerts. that would have been a bad ass speaker if they could have perfected it.

heard that also. i really served no practical use. there really is nothing that would fit in besides home theater or concerts. that would have been a bad ass speaker if they could have perfected it.
    Yeah, no lie, that would have been cool. I did see a thing on the net about a horn-loaded enclosure being built in to a basement. Superhuge thing. BTW I think they should make one of us AR's Resident Audio Geek. Mark

panasonicbike is offline Junior Member
    That is stupid big.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information