Thread: Books...

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin

Books...

I thought I’d write up a list of books that I think are amazing, everyone who likes reading should check them out. I’m always looking for new stuff, so please post up your favorites.

Fiction

Heart of Darkness- Joseph Conrad

The Lord of the Flies- William Golding

1984- George Orwell

A Catcher in the Rye- JD Salinger

Les Miserables- Victor Hugo

The Count of Monte Christo- Alexandre Dumas

A Clockwork Orange- Anthony Burgess

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk- Author of Fight Club, Survivor, etc…

I, Lucifer – Glenn Duncan

A Brave New World- Aldous Huxley

The Death of Ivan Illyich- Leo Tolstoy

Beowulf

Non- Fiction

The Art of War- Sun Tzu

Holy Blood, Holy Grail – Baigent, Leigh, Lincoln

A Brief History of Time- Stephen Hawking

Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed- Jim Al-Khaili

Republic- Plato

Leviathan- Thomas Hobbes

The Illiad- Homer (not sure which to include this in)

decadbal is offline Banned
    u should very well know, those books are way over our heads.. i mean come on, beowould and 1984, i dont need to read a book about a year, i was alive then.. i know what all happened...LOL, JK bro, good books..

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Last two I read:

Under the Banner of Heaven

Bowling Alone

Both were very good.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Bar none, every single one of these books is in my bookshelf. And yes, i've read them all. Nice list. If you're going to include the Iliad, why not the Odyssey?
    Last edited by LM1332; 05-10-2004 at 07:26 PM.

adamw1 is offline Associate Member
    Last book i read was The Davinci Code by Dan Brown you should check it out if you havnt already

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    My all-time favorite is still Catch-22. To this day, I still fall out of my chair laughing when I read it.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella is one of my alltime favorites. It was the basis of the movie Field of Dreams. If you hated the movie, still give this a shot. If you liked the movie, you'll love the book.

Also by Kinsella, The Iowa Baseball Confederacy is great.

Wiggum is offline Associate Member
    Enders Game is another good one. Can't remember the author.

And besides Catch-22, my other favorite book is On the Road by Karouac.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    Bar none, every single one of these books is in my bookshelf. And yes, i've read them all. Nice list. If you're going to include the Iliad, why not the Odyssey?

I like the Illiad better as far as the characters and life lessons that it teaches the reader. I tried my best to keep the list short. It sucked that I only included books that I currently possess and happened to see on my bookshelf... I've given alot of books to friends for reading.

I really have to read Catch-22... I think i'll pick that up later this evening.

I'll also check out Shoeless Joe.

AdamW1--- I have read the Da Vinci Code... some of the books that I listed are about the actual facts that the Da Vinci code was based on. The first chapter of The Templar Revelation basically sums up all the questions about Chrisatianity that the Da Vinci code raises.... the rest of the book simply blows your mind. if you liked Dan Brown's thriller adaption, check out the solid facts, they're much better reading imo.

Speed Trials is offline Junior Member
    Like Wiggum said, On The Road is great.

1984 was great, like you said.

A couple others:
    Crime And Punishment--Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Picture Of Dorian Gray--Oscar Wilde

I've read most everything mentioned and agree with most.

Just a few more:
    The Stranger - Camus
    The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
    The Bell Jar - Plath
    The Sorrows of Young Werther and Faust - Goethe
    Anything by Sinclair Lewis
    Steppenwolf - Hesse (everything by Hesse is great)
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Pirsig
    Everything by Huxley
    Letters from the Earth - Twain
    So many more I won't list

Quote Originally Posted by monstercojones
    I like the Illiad better as far as the characters and life lessons that it teaches the reader. I tried my best to keep the list short. It sucked that I only included books that I currently possess and happened to see on my bookshelf... I've given alot of books to friends for reading.

I really have to read Catch-22... I think i'll pick that up later this evening.

I'll also check out Shoeless Joe.

AdamW1--- I have read the Da Vinci Code... some of the books that I listed are about the actual facts that the Da Vinci code was based on. The first chapter of The Templar Revelation basically sums up all the questions about Chrisatianity that the Da Vinci code raises.... the rest of the book simply blows your mind. if you liked Dan Brown's thriller adaption, check out the solid facts, they're much better reading imo.
    thanks for that have just ordered the book as the davinci code facinated me so am gonna read up on all the theorys

also if any one likes readin fantasy and science fiction then i would recommend Magician by Raymond Feist.This book got my imagination so involved a few years ago that i just havnt stopped reading thank you Raymond!

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I recall one of these being started last summer with decent results....i'll reiterate some of my picks from then as well as add a few new ones.

Any time I'm asked, I am absolutely compelled to recommend Time's Arrow by Martin Amis. It's quite likely my favorite book. And I try to reread it at least once a year.

Aboslutely *anything* by either Chuck Palahniuk or Nick Hornby...two *extremely* under-appreciated authors whom I believe will be remembered years from now as two of the best of this time period.

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen....and if you like that give his collection of essays How to be Alone a read as well - both have a great style to them.

Bertrand Russel....literally anything by him.

Those are just a couple that come to mind

EDIT: Before I forget Franz Kafka's The Trial...the kind of book that stays with you for a long ass time after you finish. Truly frightening in that regard.
    Last edited by BigGreen; 05-18-2004 at 07:43 PM.

palequail is offline Banned
    I try not to read so my eyesite stays 20/20...

Hey you guys are forgetting one of the most liverating books ever. "Stranger in a strange land", Robert Heinlein. Who wouldn't want to have a religious cult where you sleep with all sorts of different women.
    Last edited by EastCoaster; 05-11-2004 at 09:32 AM.

RJM03 is offline Senior Member
    The Charm School is hands down the best book I have ever read. I would recommend it to anyone.

Oh ****, I forgot about Bukowski. Anyone else here read anything by Charles Bukowski?

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    I recall one of these being started last summer with decent results....i'll reiterate some of my picks from then as well as add a few new ones.

Any time I'm asked, I am absolutely compelled to recommend Time's Arrow by Martin Amis. It's quite likely my favorite book. And I try to reread it at least once a year.

Aboslutely *anything* by either Chuck Palahniuk or Nick Hornby...two *extremely* under-appreciated authors whom I believe will be remembered years from now as two of the best of this time period.

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen....and if you like that give his collection of essays How to be Alone a read as well - both have a great style to them.

Bertrand Russel....literally anything by him.

Those are just a couple that come to mind

EDIT: Before I forget Franz Kafka's The Trial...the kind of book that stays with you for a long ass time after you finish. Truly frightening in that regard.

Einstein--- i love camus, it was my mistake not including him on my list.

biggreen- as always, your input is much appreciated. i will be picking up time's arrow...

and Chuck Palahniuk is veryyyy underappreciated. he sells himself short in interviews by labeling himself 'the only guy who writes books for dudes'. in actuality, his sparse, almost hemmingway-ish style of writing makes for an easy read that contains manyyyy strong messages and sardonic, often humorous, critiques of western culture today.

thanks for the replies everyone... keep em coming!
    Last edited by 50%Natural; 05-12-2004 at 07:29 AM.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Trials
    Oh ****, I forgot about Bukowski. Anyone else here read anything by Charles Bukowski?
    Another person I think will help to define this period of literature is Bukowski.

My favorite book? The Prince.

The book I hate the most? Catcher in the Rye. **** YOU Holden, you piece of ****. I really do hate you.

And I will second the Palahniuk references. I definitely dig Camus.

There was a book I read over and over again when I was young called simply "The Seed," where a brilliant man discovers after leaving his family and going into a daze of self discovery that the key to man's existence is merely a cosmic joke, set off as a catalyst. The person who finds me a copy of that book will be the person I name my first born child after.

The Seed

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Another person I think will help to define this period of literature is Bukowski.

My favorite book? The Prince.

The book I hate the most? Catcher in the Rye. **** YOU Holden, you piece of ****. I really do hate you.

And I will second the Palahniuk references. I definitely dig Camus.

There was a book I read over and over again when I was young called simply "The Seed," where a brilliant man discovers after leaving his family and going into a daze of self discovery that the key to man's existence is merely a cosmic joke, set off as a catalyst. The person who finds me a copy of that book will be the person I name my first born child after.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    That's not it. I was both elated and depressed, but now I can still hope to see monstercojones find it, because I think it would look good with my last name.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    That's not it. I was both elated and depressed, but now I can still hope to see monstercojones find it, because I think it would look good with my last name.
    LMAO! Monstercojones would go well with virtually every last name, but it would be a tough name for a kid to live up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Trials
    LMAO! Monstercojones would go well with virtually every last name, but it would be a tough name for a kid to live up to.

you're **** right it would... my real name is actually cooler if you can believe it.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    One i read a few months ago that was surprisingly good... "From the Corner of His Eye" by Dean Koontz.

Although can't forget some of the classics...
    Mutiny on the Bounty
    Little Women
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Pride and Prejudice
    Oliver Twist

Where the Red Fern Grows was a good one too.

I'm not much of a poetry person, but love Poe... If you like Poe then a good one is "Complete Storries and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe"
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

as far as outlandish fiction goes, dean koontz is one of my favs... i have read over 25 of his books since i was around 12. stephen king isnt too bad either.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monstercojones
    as far as outlandish fiction goes, dean koontz is one of my favs... i have read over 25 of his books since i was around 12. stephen king isnt too bad either.
    Can't believe I forogt Stephen King, hes one of my favorites, got every book he ever wrote... My favorites by him are Neeful Things, The Stand, and Insomnia.

With regards to Dean Koontz, the first book of his I read was Icebound and I didn't like it very much so I had a tough time picking up another one of his books. From the Corner of His Eye was such a good book though I gave him another shot and he does have some good books.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Thread Information