partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

why do people discuss politics or even care?

now i don't mean why. obviously people have theeir own areas of interest. why do they care i guess is more of my question. please don't think that i am trying to be pessimistic or rude in anyway, but i can't do **** about what goes on so why should i even waste time out of my day?
    i'm honestly asking. i see no point to sit around and watch political shows, listen to radio shows, or even read the paper.see, i use to do all this years ago, then i realized none of us can change anything so i don't do any of that stuff anymore.
    am i the only person who feels liek this, because i have talked to my friend about this b4 because he';s all into that ****.

RJM03 is offline Senior Member
    Hey bud,

I am pretty much the same way, I live in my own little world with my my career, my family, and my interests. I am not saying that I dont care, when something tragic happens then I definitely feel bad, but at the same time I go on with my daily routine. I realize that this is a selfish assessment but I just dont have any interest in politics or global strife.

Wiggum is offline Associate Member
    No, I'd have to disagree. Most people just sit around and complain about the situation but don't actually do anything about it. I worked for a congressman in PA back in high school and he would actually read the letters that he got from the people he represents. That's not to say that ALL politicians do but voicing your opinion goes a long way, especially when there's thousands of voices. The problem comes when everyone just sits around and takes it in a**. There are those jackass guys in office who definitely have a power trip and could care less about what the people want but that's what voting can help prevent. Can you say my glass is half full?

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    It's human nature to blame everything on the politicians. If they analyzed their daily life and started there I am sure the world could be a better place.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i think you're right, but

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggum
    No, I'd have to disagree. Most people just sit around and complain about the situation but don't actually do anything about it. I worked for a congressman in PA back in high school and he would actually read the letters that he got from the people he represents. That's not to say that ALL politicians do but voicing your opinion goes a long way, especially when there's thousands of voices. The problem comes when everyone just sits around and takes it in a**. There are those jackass guys in office who definitely have a power trip and could care less about what the people want but that's what voting can help prevent. Can you say my glass is half full?
    i can't say my vore counts at all.not when the popular vote in this country means nothing due to the electoral collge bull****. my vote didn't count in the last election and that is why i will never vote again.it's a slap in the face to me that my vote meant nothing. i have always voted, but will never again

Wiggum is offline Associate Member
    Oh I hear that about the last election, but (hopefully this doesn't start a major debate) you can thank the Bush family for your vote or mine not counting.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    All I care about is who's president, other then that I could careless about politics.
    They could let Manson out of jail tomorrow and put him in congress and I wouldn't blink an eye....

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    i can't say my vore counts at all.not when the popular vote in this country means nothing due to the electoral collge bull****. my vote didn't count in the last election and that is why i will never vote again.it's a slap in the face to me that my vote meant nothing. i have always voted, but will never again

yea thats exactly what i feel partyboy.

i kind of stay in the middle with politics. i try to stay informed when something blatantly messed up is going on. (propaganda and such... )

they only way any of us is ever going to change anything would be to step up and become a major player in world events. and the only way to do that these days without being born into the illuminati (i'm being loose here) is to start a violent revolution against everything thats wrong in this country and in our world as a whole. it would take alot of smarts, courage, and a willingness to shed blood that i simply dont care to indulge in.

whiteyk is offline Pimp in Training
    i could care less.........about polictics, they are screwing over the gen. X'ers and theres nothing we can do about it because the voters with control are the seniors

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    I think its important to be informed and yes the electoral college is bull****... if u really care u can become part of an interest group. Politics is one of my favorite classes to take in college. Yet there is a bunch of crap to deal with.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I can vote republican to my hearts content and not one electoral vote will ever have a chance of getting to the republican candidate in my state. I still go out and vote each time though. Oh well.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    What you speak of is termed 'rational ignorance' and it is a very wide spread and logical phenomenon.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    now i don't mean why. obviously people have theeir own areas of interest. why do they care i guess is more of my question. please don't think that i am trying to be pessimistic or rude in anyway, but i can't do **** about what goes on so why should i even waste time out of my day?
    i'm honestly asking. i see no point to sit around and watch political shows, listen to radio shows, or even read the paper.see, i use to do all this years ago, then i realized none of us can change anything so i don't do any of that stuff anymore.
    am i the only person who feels liek this, because i have talked to my friend about this b4 because he';s all into that ****.

I dont think people believe that they can make a change. Most people just want to understand. Its good civic virtue to be concerned about what goes on outside of your own little world.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehoe
    I think its important to be informed and yes the electoral college is bull****... if u really care u can become part of an interest group. Politics is one of my favorite classes to take in college. Yet there is a bunch of crap to deal with.

Most people are part of an interest group and dont even know it. AAA. They have killed public transportation funding and clean energy grants by the hundreds. I hate AAA.

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    there are tons of interest groups... which include business, recreation, non-profit... the list is huge

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    All I care about is who's president, other then that I could careless about politics.
    They could let Manson out of jail tomorrow and put him in congress and I wouldn't blink an eye....
    Well in our system of government, a Congressman or a Senator can easier have a negative effect on a person's life that the Prez.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    now i don't mean why. obviously people have their own areas of interest. why do they care i guess is more of my question. please don't think that i am trying to be pessimistic or rude in anyway, but i can't do **** about what goes on so why should i even waste time out of my day?
    Well I see your point- but afterall, someone has to be involved, initiate diaglogue and change (to whatever degree). For me, being employed by the gov't keeps me glued to politics, because gov't employees and mil personnel are always pawns to politicans, military contracts change equipment, bring new equipment, bases open or close, etc etc. For those that are not active in politics (or just have opinions) forums are the only places that some use voice these ideas and opinions. Better in chat rooms than on the street or TV- I have better stuff to watch- Law and Order reruns!
    As far as being able to change things-that is not true. it is difficult to change another persons opinion/ideas or one's own apathy, but politicans are often swayed by something so small as a phone call, a letter or even a brief conversation and a handshake. I have been involved in a few postive changes on the local and state level- which eventuall finds its way to Captiol Hill-where it has an effect or it dies- but atleast the courage rose to the conviction.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Why do I care about politics?

'Cause some of what politicians do affects me, personally. Like if someday I ever find myself in a situation where I want to get married (to another guy) for legal or tax reasons, what those money-grubbing dishonest ne'er-do-wells do affect me. And a lot of my friends . . .
    Some politicians have the notion that it is a good thing to invade our privacy and pass laws to restrict what people can or can't do; like requiring people to wear safety belts or bicycle helmets, and fining you $$$ if you don't. Crap like that doesn't sit too well with me because IMHO it should not be a crime for you to do something that doesn't hurt someone else.
    Ephemeral subjects like "Do our rights come from God or from Nature?" strike me as supremely important, because if public opinion says that our rights come from God, then those who "speak for God" become much more influential and have more say in political matters. So, I like to chip in $.01 of my $.02 worth from time to time to remind people that humans (and not very bright ones) invented religion, and show some of its more unseemly parts.
    And . . . if you have a strongly developed sense of "right and wrong" and you see poliiticians doing stuff that is horrendously wrong, you do a great public service in joining with other similarly horrified citizens in voicing your outrage.

I've dabbled in local politics a bit, got to meet statewide office holders, and most of 'em are good folks (even the conservatives). A few were "saints" and "true statesmen," some were in over their head, some were totally inept, and some were unprincipled sonsabitches. After you get to meet some of these characters, you begin to follow what they say and do. You get hooked on it like watching a good TV soap opera.

There's no way anyone can keep informed on everything that's going on, but most folks can keep reasonably well informed on what's generally going on so that when time comes to vote, you can make a choice based on knowledge rather than a few sound bytes you heard in some political propaganda.
    And when you get enough reasonably well-informed people voting, well, the democratic system works better.

So . . . those are some of the reasons why I keep up with politics . . .

-Tock

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    words cant change a thing ,only the fight do it.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Why do I care about politics?

'Cause some of what politicians do affects me, personally. Like if someday I ever find myself in a situation where I want to get married (to another guy) for legal or tax reasons, what those money-grubbing dishonest ne'er-do-wells do affect me. And a lot of my friends . . .
    Some politicians have the notion that it is a good thing to invade our privacy and pass laws to restrict what people can or can't do; like requiring people to wear safety belts or bicycle helmets, and fining you $$$ if you don't. Crap like that doesn't sit too well with me because IMHO it should not be a crime for you to do something that doesn't hurt someone else.
    Ephemeral subjects like "Do our rights come from God or from Nature?" strike me as supremely important, because if public opinion says that our rights come from God, then those who "speak for God" become much more influential and have more say in political matters. So, I like to chip in $.01 of my $.02 worth from time to time to remind people that humans (and not very bright ones) invented religion, and show some of its more unseemly parts.
    And . . . if you have a strongly developed sense of "right and wrong" and you see poliiticians doing stuff that is horrendously wrong, you do a great public service in joining with other similarly horrified citizens in voicing your outrage.

I've dabbled in local politics a bit, got to meet statewide office holders, and most of 'em are good folks (even the conservatives). A few were "saints" and "true statesmen," some were in over their head, some were totally inept, and some were unprincipled sonsabitches. After you get to meet some of these characters, you begin to follow what they say and do. You get hooked on it like watching a good TV soap opera.

There's no way anyone can keep informed on everything that's going on, but most folks can keep reasonably well informed on what's generally going on so that when time comes to vote, you can make a choice based on knowledge rather than a few sound bytes you heard in some political propaganda.
    And when you get enough reasonably well-informed people voting, well, the democratic system works better.

So . . . those are some of the reasons why I keep up with politics . . .

-Tock

....except for the religion part.......I think that I pretty much agree with Tock's post............

.......scary, huh Tock..................

peace,

ttgb

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    words cant change a thing ,only the fight do it.
    Your words don't, because they never make any sense.

~SC~

Thread Information