Thread: Gym Terminology for n00bs
05-24-2004, 11:48 PM #1LM1332 Guest
Gym Terminology for n00bs
1. In The Zone - Tired and incoherent during a workout. Commonly described out of the gym as "spaced out."
2. Extended Warm-Up - 20 minutes at low tension on the stationary bike then 20 minutes of casual stretching then a shower.
3. "Just One More Rep" - Said to a spotter during a set. Really means: "Lift the weight for me."
4. Forced Reps - For the reluctant exerciser, every single rep of a workout is a forced rep. This is especially true when they have a mean trainer.
5. Hack Squat - The position a cat gets into when he's coughing up a hairball, commonly mistaken as a leg exercise.
6. "Can I work in with you?" - Translation: "Can I remove all your weights and sweat all over your bench?"
7. Drop Sets - What sometimes happens after doing a hard set of dumbell bench presses. A triple drop set occurs when you drop two dumbells and yourself to the floor.
8. Bulking Up - Name for the phase during which an otherwise healthy trainer will try to get bigger and fatter on purpose.
9. "I'm maxing out" - Translation: "I was going for 6 reps but I put too much weight on the bar and only got 1."
10. Cool-down - Sit on a bench and drink from a water bottle while talking about how much more you'll lift next time.
11. Olympic Bar - Athlete's nightclub.
12. E-Z Bar - "How dare you! I'm not that type of bar."
13. Squat rack - The lonliest piece of equipment in the gym.
14. "It's all you!" - Said by spotter during the last few reps of a set. Translatation: "It's mostly me."
15. Pro-hormones - Hormones that have lost their amateur status.
16. Meal Replacement Supplement - Cold pizza and warm beer.
17. Clean and Press - Surprisingly enough, it's a shoulder exercise, not laundry instructions. A variation of it is even known as the Hang Clean and Press.
18. High Intensity Interval Training - Occurs when there are two or more flights of stairs leading up to the gym.
19. Skullcrushers - An exercise where you make like you're going to bash your own head in with a barbell, a.k.a. lying tricep extensions.
20. "Hold the contraction at the top and squeeze for 10 seconds" - Said by a personal trainer when he or she wants to punish the client for missing a session.
21. 'roids...illegal drugs taken by people who don't mind the inconvenience of having to walk through a door sideways
05-24-2004, 11:52 PM #2
12, 15 - thats funny as hell, great thread...Love it
05-24-2004, 11:54 PM #3
05-25-2004, 01:03 AM #4
13 is soooooooo true!!
matter of fact it is the one piece of equipment that I know i can go to any day and time of the week and be able to use it with no interuptions.
05-25-2004, 01:47 AM #5LM1332 GuestOriginally Posted by abstrack
05-25-2004, 08:59 AM #6
i use the squat rack in my gym..lol
05-25-2004, 07:58 PM #7LM1332 Guest
i would asume most of the ppl on this site do, atleast i hope so
05-25-2004, 08:33 PM #8Anabolic Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2003
i also agree with 13.
05-25-2004, 09:00 PM #9
No way, the zone is a very positive thing. you're psyched and quietly energetic. Your best lifting is in the zone.
05-25-2004, 09:42 PM #10
i love it when ppl ask me about straps, or ask how to wrap them. its funny, i remember when i did back in HS, was scared to death..
05-25-2004, 10:04 PM #11AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
Originally Posted by LM1332
- Join Date
- Aug 2001
- Wherever necessary
05-26-2004, 01:03 AM #12LM1332 GuestOriginally Posted by CYCLEON
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)