OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member

Man sues Atkins over heart problems

Im sure this is just the first of many to come....

OG

Man sues Atkins over heart problems
    Diet company stands by plan
    Thursday, May 27, 2004 Posted: 12:34 PM EDT (1634 GMT)

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) -- A businessman sued the promoters of the Atkins Diet and the estate of founder Dr. Robert Atkins, alleging that the low-carb, high-fat meal plan clogged his arteries and threatened his health.

The suit by Jody Gorran, filed Wednesday in Palm Beach County Circuit Court, seeks $15,000.

Gorran, 53, said Thursday he started the diet in May 2001 because his weight had risen from 140 to 148 pounds. In two months, he said, his cholesterol rose from a normal 146 to an unhealthy 230, and by October 2003, he needed heart angioplasty to clear his arteries.

"I came very close to dying, and this is from a diet I thought was marvelous," said Gorran.

Atkins Nutritionals said in a statement that it stands by the science that has "repeatedly reaffirmed the safety and health benefits of the Atkins Nutritional Approach."

The company questioned the motivation of a Washington-based advocacy group that helped Gorran with the suit. The group, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, promotes a vegan diet banning meat, fish, dairy and egg products.

"We should not let the real issue, providing people with a scientifically validated nutritional choice in the face of a worldwide obesity and type 2 diabetes epidemic, be manipulated by this extremist animal rights vegan group," Atkins Nutritionals said in a statement.

For years, doctors and nutritionists have debated the Atkins diet, which advocates meat, eggs and cheese, frowns on bread, rice and fruit, and allows up to two-thirds of calories from fat, more than double the usual recommendation.

The diet doctor, who died last year at 72 after falling on an icy sidewalk, argued that carbohydrates generate too much insulin , which makes people hungrier and encourages them to put on fat. His books, including the best-selling "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution," have sold 15 million copies and attracted millions of followers.

The advocacy group said Gorran's suit is the first to recently question the merits of the Atkins diet. In 1979, a New York jury rejected an elderly, overweight woman's lawsuit claiming that the Atkins Diet caused her heart disease.

Gorran, who owns a company that makes solar panels for swimming pools, said he believes Atkins products should warn of a risk for developing health problems when eating meat and other foods that are endorsed by the diet and are high in saturated fat.

"For 21/2 years, I extolled the virtues of this diet to anyone who listened because I was losing weight and I felt great. But when I started, I had no idea I was making a deal with the devil for trying to keep a 32-inch waistline," he said.

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    As usual people can't take responsibilty for their own sh!t.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big k.l.g
    No shlt. Every decision that they make on their own that turns out to be bad is then someone elses fault.
    That Mcdonalds law suit claiming the food made him fat.
    Im surprised lawyers take these cases. Im extra surprised lawyers sometimes win these cases.

Im gonna sue Organon because I didnt know deca could cause health issues.
    It says nowhere on the label to consult a physian.

Russ616 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big k.l.g
    Just goes to show you everybody sues everybody...

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    You heard about the guy that tried to break into a woman house, fell through her roof fukked up himself.........then sued the woman and WON!

decadbal is offline Banned
    any genetic predisposition in his family, bc thats prolly what it came from

Ron Swan is offline New Member
    The great pillars of Western Jurisprudence, culpability, liability and justiciability are being eroded every day.

At one time decadbl's defense would not have been neccessary, now it is.

The other defense is that people on the Atkins diet do not have high cholesterol or need angioplasty at a rate higher than the national average.

But the best defense is to dig into Mr. Gorran's past and learn how he came to be represented by the vegan activist group

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Arteries clog over decades not months or a couple of years. If you go to the Physcians Comittee for responsible medicine they literally have links set up so you can find a lawyer to sue Atkins. The diet improved my lipid levels.

Thread Information