RP7
    RP7 is offline Member

Anyone work in the financial services industry? Advice!

I'm going into my 3rd of the 4 years at Uni this September. I'm majoring in Business Admin with a specialization in Financial Planning. Cool thing about my program is that its accredited by the org. that runs the CFP exam... so I could potentially write the exam straight outta school.

I'm considering other career paths right now as well. Anyone with experience or knowledge about these careers please pitch me your 2 cents:

-Analyst or portfolio manager
    -Investment Advisor
    -Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
    -Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Sorry, man , I am an IT geek.... if you want to know about secure military communications networks I could help you out.

Something tells me there aren't too many accountants here on AR.

bitchtits is offline Associate Member

I will help you out dogg

I have been in the investment industry for 5 years. Here is the low down:

CFP and Investment Advisor is the same thing, it is a sales job, you have to bring in assets and make a sale from those assets. Very tough job, you either make it big or don't make it at all. If you have good contacts then you should be alright

Analyst or portfolio manager, now this job may be a little out of your reach. This is not a job for someone how doesn't have at least a MBA and much needed experience.

CFA, is an accountanting certificate where you go through different steps of testing, analytical job.

-good luck

B!tchtits, lol, I like that user name

elicotton is offline Associate Member
    Bitchtits is dead on on this one. Planners can make it big but it's a commision job and it's tough for the first couple of years. Most analysts are ivy-league MBA's.

I have a friend who is a planner and works for a regional chain of banks. His office is in the main branch, and he gets a lot of referrals and prospects from people who open new accounts, etc. Also, the bank seems to add credibility and an air of stability, and seems to particulary help his image with the Senior Citizens, which is a big part of a most planners business. You might want to look into this route. You would have to get a life insurance liscence (at least you do in this state) as well as a series 7 in order to sell securities.

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elicotton
    Bitchtits is dead on on this one. Planners can make it big but it's a commision job and it's tough for the first couple of years. Most analysts are ivy-league MBA's.

I have a friend who is a planner and works for a regional chain of banks. His office is in the main branch, and he gets a lot of referrals and prospects from people who open new accounts, etc. Also, the bank seems to add credibility and an air of stability, and seems to particulary help his image with the Senior Citizens, which is a big part of a most planners business. You might want to look into this route. You would have to get a life insurance liscence (at least you do in this state) as well as a series 7 in order to sell securities.
    Thanks for the help. I'm currently doing my course that permits registration to sell mutual funds.... insurance course might be further down the road.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Sup bro...
    You and I live pretty close to each other, so if I hear of anything, I'll definitely let you know...
    Go Flames btw ...

Thread Information