Hyperlite is offline Associate Member

Is $50,000-$60,000 enough..

Is it enough to live comfortably? I ask because I am in college right now, and i am a molecular biology major right now and chemistry is kickin' my ass. I'm thinking about getting a Bach. degree in Cardiopulmonary Sciences, which I would than become a Respiratory Thearapist....

Is anyone here an RT, btw?

Thanks

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    depends where you live.....Kentucky-it is great.....Cali-it sucks

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperlite
    Is it enough to live comfortably? I ask because I am in college right now, and i am a molecular biology major right now and chemistry is kickin' my ass. I'm thinking about getting a Bach. degree in Cardiopulmonary Sciences, which I would than become a Respiratory Thearapist....

Thanks
    I dont think its enough to live comfortable if you want to raise a family

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    It is, but you will want a job that offers potential for growth as if you ever want to have a family you may need more. But for a single person, especially a guy who can live well within his means, thats plenty. Stay out of debt btw, if you are in debt then it doesn't matter how much you make, you can still end up living paycheck to paycheck.

Ron Swan is offline New Member
    The goal is not 'earn' money but to achieve wealth where your holdings earn money.

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    I dont think its enough to live comfortable if you want to raise a family
    kids = prison without bars

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    By yourself, it is enough. Roughly 4 thousand a month after taxes is alright. But if you have that SUV, RV, ATV, boat and house with pool payment, dont plan on it.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    If you invest wisely, it will be enough...

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    it really all depends on your lifestyle. also depends where you live as some cities have higher standards of living. but for a single guy who does not intend to settle down in the near future, thats more than enough.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    If you buy a house right away and get that interest deduction it could save you a bundle, yes alone 50-60 k is a good living. If you are smart you can raise a family on that but it would be no frills.

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    50 - 60 K is barely making it in San Diego... rent on an apartment is frequently over 1,000 a month, gas is hovering around 2.35 - 2.40 a gallon, and you pay for EVERYTHING. But, on the flip side, the weather is beautiful year round (except for June Gloom) the crime is low, and the city is fukin AWESOME... I know Rhino58 will back me up on this.

Ron Swan is offline New Member
    I was stationed there in the Corps for a year and vacation there every other year. Great city.

Yup... as close to paradise as you are gonna find here in the U.S. in my opinion. I grew up in Northern Cal, and always frowned on those from the "south" but now I am pretty sure I will live and eventually die in San Diego.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by navydevildoc
    50 - 60 K is barely making it in San Diego... rent on an apartment is frequently over 1,000 a month, gas is hovering around 2.35 - 2.40 a gallon, and you pay for EVERYTHING.
    Same for NYC. $50-$60K isn't much to live on.

Symian is offline Member

Thanks
    Depends on where you live. Where I live $60K would do nice, but I guess it depends on your lifestyle, too.

But for me $60K a year would be just right.

what do ya'll do for work?

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    not enough if you ask me, i made 49k at 20 and felt like i was sooo broke

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I live in Houston, TX. Have a wife and a three year old. 2 car notes, house note, insurance, cable bill, fkn crazy ass food bill, dsl bill, electricity bill, gas bill, doctor bills, gym dues, water bill, phone bill, cell phone bills, school loan bill, personal loan bill, 2 credit cards, and i'm sure I'm missing a couple. I bring home about 70k after taxes and we live comfortably. Wife is a stay at home mom also. So yeah, if I was single, I could live off 60k in Texas. Oh yeah, I work for a bankrupt company (ENRON) in the computer business.

what do ya'll do for work?
    Work for a large defense contractor building military communications networks. I would tell you more, then I would have to kill you....

Buildingmuscle is offline Associate Member
    do they need any more help out there in Texas lol

sounds better than here 30,000 yr teaching scraping bottom all the time.

Pork Chop is offline Member
    Whats the national average. $25K?
    $50-60K is more than plenty. Well managed you can retire early.

Every university student talks "when i get out of school i'm going to make this much money". Not sure how often this materialises.

Russ616 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damiongage
    depends where you live.....Kentucky-it is great.....Cali-it sucks
    Agreed location makes the difference...

LM1332 Guest
    3 family members with one person working supplying with 60k income is more then enough. Live in LA btw

thanks for the help everyone, i've decided to pursue becoming a Nurse Anestheist, they make between $80,000-$124,000. If that doesn't work out, then Radiology or Respiratory Theropy it is....

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    thanks for the help everyone, i've decided to pursue becoming a Nurse Anestheist, they make between $80,000-$124,000. If that doesn't work out, then Radiology or Respiratory Theropy it is....
    60K is easily enough money to live comfortably on. Especially if you are single. If you know how to manage money this will be more than enough money. My father makes 60k/year however is a multi millionaire because of his money management skills. It is not the principal you bring home but the interest you earn from the principal that counts for the biggest chunk of extra money. Besides why would you change your major based on money alone? If you arent happy with your job no price tag would make it beneficial IMO. I know I could never change to an office setting all day just to make extra money even if it is $40K, but everyone is different. I guess I love what I do and thats the important thing if you ask me.

Rugby13 is offline Member
    Yeah location is a huge factor but to me being able to manage money is the most important. I'm making less than 50k, I'm married and have a kid on the way. My wife doesn't work and we live just fine in GA. No frills to how we live but we are doing well. Be careful to not fall into the trap of the more you earn the more you spend. Luckily I have no debt besides the house a car. debt=TROUBLE!!!!

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    50-60k is pretty good straight out of college with only a 4 year degree, in fact, i don't think its possible to make much more then that straight out of college with just a BS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    60K is easily enough money to live comfortably on. Especially if you are single. If you know how to manage money this will be more than enough money. My father makes 60k/year however is a multi millionaire because of his money management skills. It is not the principal you bring home but the interest you earn from the principal that counts for the biggest chunk of extra money. Besides why would you change your major based on money alone? If you arent happy with your job no price tag would make it beneficial IMO. I know I could never change to an office setting all day just to make extra money even if it is $40K, but everyone is different. I guess I love what I do and thats the important thing if you ask me.
    How did your dad do that? Did he invest in stocks or something of that nature?

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby13
    Yeah location is a huge factor but to me being able to manage money is the most important. I'm making less than 50k, I'm married and have a kid on the way. My wife doesn't work and we live just fine in GA. No frills to how we live but we are doing well. Be careful to not fall into the trap of the more you earn the more you spend. Luckily I have no debt besides the house a car. debt=TROUBLE!!!!
    thats soo true! i always make it a point to live within my means. its hard but its what i got to do. as my dad once said, "if i cant afford it, i dont want it" takes a lot of discipline to adhere to a lifestyle like thats.

Where I come from 60k is upper middle class, you are doing pretty good on that.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Getting in financial shape is really no different than getting in physical shape IMO. You decide to make a lifestyle change and commit to a lifelong learning process. Think of all th etime you spend on the gym and AR and what not. Now imagine taking a similar amount of time reasearching, reading, taking classes about investing and money management. To answer your question, there is more than one way to skin a cat but you need to find a way that meets your needs and is a realistic option in your circumstances. Stocks, are defintely a great longterm investment.

How did your dad do that? Did he invest in stocks or something of that nature?

Thread Information