LM1332 Guest

Drunken police raid US students

Drunken police raid US students

LUKE MORFESSE - CRIME REPORTER

A group of drunken off-duty police officers forced American students to kneel on the ground at their Fremantle dormitory while taunting and humiliating them about the United States involvement in Iraq.

The incident is one of several being investigated by police internal affairs after a wild night in two of the port city's popular night spots involving seven WA police and two NSW officers.

Some of the worst behaviour was inflicted on patrons at the Orient Hotel, where one of the officers vomited across the bar after the drunken group was refused service.

Witnesses said a German barman was abused and insulted with nazi salutes. Earlier, the men told drinkers they were "above the law" because they were police.

The West Australian was told some drinkers at the Orient Hotel last Tuesday were Notre Dame University students but the abuse of the US students erupted after a fight at the Zanzibar nightclub.

During that incident, one of the seven WA officers, who are all from the Fremantle district, was allegedly assaulted by one of the American Notre Dame students and had a tooth knocked out.

Enraged, some of the drunken officers tracked the American down to the university's student accommodation.

It was there that several American students, including some who had nothing to do with the clash at the Zanzibar, were made to kneel on the ground and were humiliated.

It is understood the taunting included comments such as "Yankies go home", "What are you doing in our country" and "What are you doing in Iraq".

Frightened students called the police.

Several students approached by The West Australian yesterday declined to comment.

The university's acting vice-chancellor, Professor Peter Dallimore, said he would not comment because a student had been charged and the matter was still under investigation.

Because the incident involved Americans it is understood the university informed the US Consul in Perth.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts said she was appalled by what she had been told about the incident.

"I wouldn't have thought that any police officers would engage in this kind of behaviour, on duty or off duty," she said.

"The fact of the matter is that police officers . . . need to set an example to the community."

Assistant Commissioner Tim Atherton said the public had high expectations of police and he had instructed a superintendent and an inspector to investigate the matter.

Mr Atherton pledged to get to the bottom of any misconduct by police.

"The Commissioner and I share a great deal of frustration about this incident," he said.

http://www.thewest.com.au/20040529/n...sto125735.html

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunate

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Were the police Australians? Am I missing something...I just skimmed it over...

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I am confused too. Pro nouns are mis used and I dont know who is whom and what country the cops were from, etc....

M PWR is offline Junior Member
    They were australian cops. (by the sounds of things)

Who cares what they did. We do what we want over here. There is no law.

-Sean

LM1332 Guest
    yea australian police and hey im didnt type that thing blame educational system over there

Thread Information