DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Homeless Man Has Amazing Radio Voice

The Toad is offline Associate Member
    Just saw it on the news, said he had several offers I believe one was from the Cleveland Cavaliers. Hopefully he makes the most out of this opportunity

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Damn that's crazy

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I saw it tonight on the news....his voice is great.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    ya they gave him a job, to include a home and something about paying him to go visit his 92yr old mom in NY so she can see him as a recovered man.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    They even gave him 10 grand upfront. He used to be a deejay till he got hooked on drugs and lost his job and became homeless. Looks like he is getting a second chance in life. With a voice like that he has it made. Nice to see an upbeat story on the news for a change.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    what a lucky and gifted guy!

Blog Entries
    I told you so !

From homeless to household name.

Ted Williams, whose deep, velvety voice and touching story prompted an outpouring of sympathy and job offers from across the country, has become an overnight sensation.

He's America's hottest - and most improbable - star.

On Thursday, Williams, who was living in a tent near a highway in Columbus, Ohio, just days ago, will be in New York for an emotional reunion with his 90-year-old mother and to appear on NBC's "Today" show - one of many interview requests to come his way in the past two days.

"I can't believe what's going on," Williams said Wednesday in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "God gave me a million-dollar voice, and I just hope I can do right by him."

Left homeless after his life and radio career were ruined by drugs and alcohol, Williams has been offered a job by the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, and the 53-year-old is being pursued by NFL Films and others for possible work. Williams and his compelling tale became an online sensation after The Columbus Dispatch posted a clip of him demonstrating his voiceover skills while begging by the side of the road.

Now, he's in demand.

"This has been totally, totally amazing," Williams said, his voice choking with emotion. "I'm just so thankful. God has blessed me so deeply. I'm getting a second chance. Amazing."

Williams was contacted Wednesday by the Cavaliers, who have offered him a position that could include announcing work at Quicken Loans Arena, the team's downtown facility. Williams said the team has offered him a two-year contract and said they would pay his living expenses.

It's been a shocking turn of events for the golden-voiced man, who had gotten by living in shelters and occasionally with family and friends over the past few years. Williams has also been in his share of trouble. His past includes a lengthy list of arrests. He has served time in prison for theft and forgery and has been cited with numerous misdemeanors, including drug abuse.

He was most recently arrested on May 14. He pleaded guilty to a first-degree misdemeanor theft charge. In court records, his address is listed as "Streets of Columbus."

Upon learning of Williams' criminal history, the Cavaliers said their offer still stands.

"We believe in second chances and second opportunities," said Tracy Marek, the team's senior vice president of marketing. "The gentleman deserves an opportunity to explain certain situations. We're not jumping to conclusions. It's not fair."

Cavaliers spokesman Tad Carper said exact details of the team's offer and their plans to help Williams with housing were still being worked out.

The Cavaliers did not know much about him, but were moved by Williams' ordeal.

"When you know something's right, you just have to launch," Marek said. "One of the big things that we talk about here, with our organization, is how important urgency is - when you see something that feels good and seems right."

During a timeout in the first quarter of Wednesday night's game against Toronto, the Cavaliers put a picture of Williams on their giant scoreboard and urged fans to send him messages at www.wewanttedwilliams.com.

Williams flew Wednesday night to New York, where he was expected to stay in a posh hotel off Central Park. He plans to see his mother, Julia, who lives in Brooklyn. She has stood by him during his battles with addiction.

"She has always been my best friend," he said, crying. "When I was a kid, she would take me down to Radio City Music Hall and on the subway. I'm just glad that she is still around. I prayed that she would live long enough that I could make her proud and see could her son do something other than stand along the side of the road with a sign asking for money."

Julia Williams is thrilled her only child is turning his life around. She can't wait to see him.

"This will be my day to see my son get up and do something to help himself," she said. "He has so much talent. I hope this will be the thing for him. He came from a nice family. And then he went poor, poor. So, maybe this will build him up and let him see that there's more in life than hanging around with the wrong people, and taking drugs."

Williams said his life began spiraling downward in 1996 when he began drinking alcohol "pretty bad." He used marijuana and cocaine and lost interest in his radio career. He eventually wound up on the streets, despite the best efforts of his children, seven daughters and two sons who all live in the Columbus area.

Williams said he celebrated two years of sobriety "around Thanksgiving. I just hope everyone will pray for me."

When he first heard Williams' soothing delivery, Kevin McLoughlin of NFL Films, which has chronicled pro football for nearly 50 years, knew he had to contact the unknown man.

"It's that voice," McLoughlin, director of post-production films for the NFL, told the AP. "When he was telling his story, I said, 'That's what we do. This guy can tell a story.' Somehow, some way, I need to get a demo with him. He could be that diamond in the rough."

McLoughlin has not been able to contact Williams, but he intends to track him down.

"The man deserves a second chance," he said.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Just when you think there is no good in the world a story like this comes out.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Ehh they were talking about this all day on the radio. Its funny how many people called in NJ 101.5 and said they didn't care.

Some people also asked if when he started making money if he would pay back all the people he's robbed. I understand hes
    trying to get his life together but a theif is a theif. I know a lot of drug addicts that never stole, just saying, its a little more
    pathogenic imo than some other things. Hopefully he's able to actually do something with his life.

Stigmata101 is offline Senior Member
    this story touches me in places no boy scout leader could.

PistolStarta is offline Senior Member
    After seeing his arrest record and hearing his family say the money would hurt him more than help him, he doesnt "deserve" shit.

kiki123 is offline Associate Member
    I don't believe he thinks he "Deserves" anything, that's just other peoples opinions that make him appear to be selfish. Sure, taking the route of drink and drugs is a selfish one, but he just wants another chance. It must hurt to have your own family say money would hurt more than help, especially when he's been sober for over 2 years. I see that as another way to discourage him from succeeding. I hate thief's as much as the next guy, but I don't think that should be grounds to begrudge him for the rest of his life. If he were a pedophile or convicted terrorist or killed someone while drunk driving these are things that can't be undone. I swear some people should consider helping needy people in the community instead of bashing them or finding excuses not to help them. I don't live in America, but having visited there a few times you can't help but notice the homeless people are everywhere.

He was held by the cops earlier today for being too loud in a hotel in LA. The Dr. Phil show was getting him and his daughter together for a reunion and they got into a heated argument. Someone called the cops and he was briefly held until they could figure it out. No charges filed.

bigpapabuff is offline Senior Member
    very amazing story

kiki123 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    He was held by the cops earlier today for being too loud in a hotel in LA.
    Ok, I'm not gonna defend this guy anymore until Dr Phil picks him apart.. Looks like I'm jumping to conclusions without knowing his mental status and family problems.

Public Enemy is offline Associate Member
    Aw shit Ted, don't **** up now. Everyone is on your side, don't let all those people down.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    After watching this interview I side with Ted.

His daughter sounds like a total lying piece of shit.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/goss...den-voice.html

BlInDsIdE is offline "ARs Most Dangerous Member"
    hmm a real shame if he went right back to alcohol

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlInDsIdE View Post
    hmm a real shame if he went right back to alcohol
    If true - then alcoholism might be a disease . Seen people given 2nd and 3rd chances , only lost to crack . Addiction I guess is the disease and not the device ?

Public Enemy is offline Associate Member
    This could turn out to be a really terrible ending to a cinderella story. He seemed a little off on Jimmy Fallon. I don't know but he seemed very strange when he was the guest. I just hope we are wrong and he takes advantage of this opportunity to save what is left of his life.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    He was lying the whole time. Addicts are very good at that.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/01/12/ted-wi...-dr-phil-show/

Looks like during the taping of the Dr Phil show they pressed him hard and he finally told them he has been drinking the whole time.

Williams made the decision during a taping for the "Dr. Phil Show" today -- two days after the LAPD detained him over a verbal altercation with his daughter at a Hollywood hotel.

According to a press release for the show, Ted "has been drinking daily, despite his adamant claims of sobriety."

No word on whether his new employers will stick with him.

This sucks to hear.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Just saw on CNN that he entered rehab today.

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Just saw on CNN that he entered rehab today.
    Went to CNN after reading this. Here is the video for those interested. It does not sound promising for him though.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/cele...ex.html?hpt=T2

Blog Entries
    I didn't make that video 2 min with those annoying a$$ women ("reporters"). Their voices are the reason i am gay.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I didn't make that video 2 min with those annoying a$$ women ("reporters"). Their voices are the reason i am gay.
    lol..

Thread Information