Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Is anyone an avid hiker/backpacker?

Wanting to put together a cold weather hiking trip later this year..Looking for some good ideas and maybe some others that are into going out into the deep back country, risking being eaten by a bear, freezing your ass off, and eating food cooked over a whisperlite!! Anyone..

Doc M

barbarian is offline Banned
    ive only been a few times...i love it..the view is worth the death march most of the time..im from the east so i dont know any places were ya at...just find a mountian to go up(not straight up) but a slow incline..get to the top and take pics of the wonderful view

I love backpacking, just don't get out enough these days... so little time

Nothing like as good pack of ramen + jerky (homemade of course!) on the MSR flame thrower and drinking gallons of water out of a nalgene bottle And of course spoiling yourself with "ziplock instant chocolate pudding" for desert

I've backpacked all over the Adirondacks, both in the Lake Placid, Mt.Marcy area as well as down in the Raquette Lake, Blue Mountain area. I've even backpacked part of the Lakeville-Placid trail from Saranac Lake to Blue Mountain. Of course I also backpack all over here in my province.

I've been a boy scout leader forever and my "claim to fame" was being the leader who took kids backpacking or canoe camping on a monthly basis. This is actually the first year I took off from Scouting (sanity break). Many of my former kids (now in their 20's) still call me to go backpacking with them now and then.

Nice to see I'm not the only one here who likes to put mileage on his boots and pack

Red

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    hiking, camping, red, kids in early 20's.. wheres mart..?

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yes..I am an avid mountaineer and hiker..My ultimate goal has always been to summit Everst, though that goal is looking farther from possible every year..There are so many things that have to be figured into something like that, and getting them al to fall into place at the same time is **** difficult..I made Mt. Rainier 2x's failing to make it to the summit a 3x due to a terrible snow storm..I am starting to settle in with the idea of just doing some short 3-4 day trips in the backcountry..I am thinking of doing part of the Appalachian Trail this year..Starting in the Tenn N. Carolina area..Unless someone has some other suggestions as possibilities..??

Doc

barbarian is offline Banned
    thats perfect man..ive hicked on the that trail..i live 15 miles from it....verry good choice

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I hike and Backpack every chance I get...living in Sicily we are stuck with Mt. Etna...definately prefer the Wa State area where I grew up...opportunities everywhere!

decadbal is offline Banned
    yea the app trail is near where i grew up, take agun with you.... ppl get robbed on it all the time..

palequail is offline Banned
    I used to do a lot in Hawaii. We have so many dope trails but it is hot as can be...so that sucks. But the Na Pali coast is an amazing hike and camping trip.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    pikes peak would be a good one or even mt. everest(SP?)
    go to www.rei.com they always have some xpeditions that they put together both warm and cold climate trips
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    hiking, camping, red, kids in early 20's.. wheres mart..?

I am waiting for the trip to develope then I am going to just pop in if you know what I mean.

Wiggum is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    ..I am thinking of doing part of the Appalachian Trail this year..Starting in the Tenn N. Carolina area..Unless someone has some other suggestions as possibilities..??

Doc
    Another avid hiker/camper here. I hit Yosemite as much as I can - 2-3 xs per year. If you want true backcountry, that's one of the places to go. - love it up there. The Hetch Hetchy area is pure wilderness. Tuolumne Meadows is another favorite of mine. When I was on the east coast (CT), I'd hit the White Mountains in NH a lot as well. Summer and winter camping. The elevation isn't what it is on the west coast but there are some great trails, and not too many people. I don't have the Everest goal like you but I definitely want to climb Denali.

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    My father is a mountaneer, but I'm afraid of heights so if it involves ice axes, carabiners, or ropes you can count me out.
    Have you considered Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies? That's a great place if you like to get mauled by grizzlies.
    What about Denali?
    Also bring a gun with you if you hike the Appalachian trail.
    The Long Path which goes from the George Wash Bridge on the Palisades side to Albany is supposed to be ok, but I used to drag my wife with me on the early stages when she still lived in Washington Heights and it really sucks unless you want to count gas stations on the highway.

Thread Information