Terinox is offline The One & Only

Question Car Audio Question

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been here/posted here. I'm guessing everyone is up to their same old anticts. Anywho, I asked a similar question long time ago, but I needz some help.

I had to switch cars AGAIN, so now I have a 1997 Saturn SC1 (my old car returned). So, it ONLY has a radio/cassette, and I want a better system. The speakers also suck, cuz when I turn it too loud, it' starts to get statticy and shaky. I had an MP3 player before in this car, but I lost that to my old car, which will be sold with the MP3 player inside (to make it more appealing).

Anywho, my question is simple. I need to know any basics, anything important/crucial about installing things (not that I will be doing it myself).

What is the difference between the front two speakers and the rear two for example. How much does the size of the speakers matter? When it says like 5 1/2" speaker, do those sizes have to be EXACT to fit in your car?? I am NOT looking for anything fancy shmancy. I don't need a subwoofer or amp modulator or wutever it is. I'm looking to just buy an MP3 player, which goes for about $200 bux (Canadian), and 4 speakers, two for the front and two for the back.

So, any advice, suggestions, rude comments, knowledge, predictions, foresight and insult are all welcome.

Thanks,
    T.

mass junkie is offline banned
    fuk offffff

Buy a componet set.... sounds a lot better anyways..If you have 5 1/4 speakers,then thats exactly what you need.. Of course you could always get a sawzall and make your own holes for it ...

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    The size only matters to the size of the hole cut. I put 7" rounds where 41/2 used to be in my car. Preferibly bigger speakers go in the back. Are you installing it yourself, might as well put in a couple of 12's a be bumpin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino58
    The size only matters to the size of the hole cut. I put 7" rounds where 41/2 used to be in my car. Preferibly bigger speakers go in the back. Are you installing it yourself, might as well put in a couple of 12's a be bumpin.
    No, I don't know how to do that stuff. I will get it done most likely at Future Shop (like a Best Buy store for you Americans .)

As the size of the speaker goes up, the quality is better?? Or how does that all work? The two in the front are generally smaller right? How do you tell them apart? I mean, do you walk into the store and ask, "Yeah, I need two front speakers and two rear?" ??? Or are ALL the speakers the same, and just the size is different???

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    No, I don't know how to do that stuff. I will get it done most likely at Future Shop (like a Best Buy store for you Americans .)

As the size of the speaker goes up, the quality is better?? Or how does that all work? The two in the front are generally smaller right? How do you tell them apart? I mean, do you walk into the store and ask, "Yeah, I need two front speakers and two rear?" ??? Or are ALL the speakers the same, and just the size is different???
    size of the speaker has nothing to do with the sound....Their are alot of variables that determine a good speaker....a car audio shop would have some great speakers from you to choose from...Do a little research bro...you'll be glad that you did... MB quartz are pretty nice sounding speakers

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    size of the speaker has nothing to do with the sound....Their are alot of variables that determine a good speaker....a car audio shop would have some great speakers from you to choose from...Do a little research bro...you'll be glad that you did... MB quartz are pretty nice sounding speakers
    Alright, thanks for the advice. You seem to know your stuff. Just one last one though, how does the front/rear difference work? Are they all the same? Or do they actually differ? Do you ask for front and rear?

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie

I agree, I have a componet set of MB quartz setting in my bedroom right now. I hijacked them out of a car that my buddy was going to sell. You might want to go to a place that specializes in car audio. I've heard stories from friends that worked places like best buy, hh gregg.

By the way. You might just want to measure your speakers. Instead of saying "I want rear speakers, and front speakers."

Quote Originally Posted by goodtobeapimp
    I agree, I have a componet set of MB quartz setting in my bedroom right now. I hijacked them out of a car that my buddy was going to sell. You might want to go to a place that specializes in car audio. I've heard stories from friends that worked places like best buy, hh gregg.

By the way. You might just want to measure your speakers. Instead of saying "I want rear speakers, and front speakers."
    Hahaha, good idea, measuring them would be easy no? The only problem you see is with my 97 Saturn SC1, the front speakers which are on the door have this weird ass panel on them, but it's sorta mixed and connected TO THE DOOR itself. So I dunno how it will work. I guess I have to tell the person to take a look at the speaker first to see if they can even install new ****.

When measuring, we are talking about diamater? Or circumfrence??

LM1332 Guest
    Dude at best buy or any other electronic store here in US atleast they have a list of cars and size of speakers that you need. So just be like hey i need to know the size of my speakers, you know? Then when he will tell you go into the booth and check em out

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    Terinox, I work for the company that you mentioned, and Iam an installer..I will help you if you haven't got your question answered yet..just don't have time to read through all the responses yet...
    later.

Alright, thanks for the advice. You seem to know your stuff. Just one last one though, how does the front/rear difference work? Are they all the same? Or do they actually differ? Do you ask for front and rear?
    nawww I dont know my stuff...I just have the money to pay someone that does

BigBoi83 is offline Associate Member
    listen buy all ur **** at future shop!!!!!!!! i buy all my car audio there, i buy the extended warrenty and they within one month i return it and try out something differnt. future shop is dumb!!! i bought a $100 mtx sub then bought a $200 dollar sub switched boxes and reciepts and got the 200 for 100. plus u can try there stuff out see what u like and then return it and if u want u can buy it at an audio store later if u want. i love stupid people

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanhallmark
    Terinox, I work for the company that you mentioned, and Iam an installer..I will help you if you haven't got your question answered yet..just don't have time to read through all the responses yet...
    later.
    I'd appreciate any help. When your not too busy, please send me a PM on some info.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoi83
    listen buy all ur **** at future shop!!!!!!!! i buy all my car audio there, i buy the extended warrenty and they within one month i return it and try out something differnt. future shop is dumb!!! i bought a $100 mtx sub then bought a $200 dollar sub switched boxes and reciepts and got the 200 for 100. plus u can try there stuff out see what u like and then return it and if u want u can buy it at an audio store later if u want. i love stupid people
    I most likely will buy it at Future Shop. They seem decent, but I dunno about the whole returning scam thing. I will consider the extended warranty, it sounds good.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    mb quarts are great speakers, but to make any speaker sound good at high volume you need power. and dont skimp on the amp get a good one because distortion will ruin even the best speakers.
    my current system:
    eclipse cd
    mb quart qm160 comp speakers
    jl audio 300/2 amp
    jl audio 10w7 sub
    jl audio 500/1 sub amp

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    Hahaha, good idea, measuring them would be easy no? The only problem you see is with my 97 Saturn SC1, the front speakers which are on the door have this weird ass panel on them, but it's sorta mixed and connected TO THE DOOR itself. So I dunno how it will work. I guess I have to tell the person to take a look at the speaker first to see if they can even install new ****.

When measuring, we are talking about diamater? Or circumfrence??
    All you have to do is measure your speakers then tell them you want new ones, you can pay someone to do it but that is nonsense. It is so simple, there are two cables that come out of most speakers. Just disconnect from the old and put in the new. If you are putting in a reciever(player) it is almost better to buy a converter that will link all the cords for you. A newer saturn would not be a problem.

mfenske is offline Member

Answers to a few of your questions

Terinox, the size of speaker does matter unless you plan on doing modification. Your car (Saturn, right?) probably has a 6.5 S size (fancy way of saying 6 3/4") As far as what to buy it makes the most sense to go out and listen to whatever speakers fit your car (the people at the store should know) and you budget and buy those. Typically the best sounding speakers should be placed in the front of the vehicle. How often do you drive from the trunk or backseat? I can't understand why so many people put better speakers in the back. You don't go to a concert and turn your back to the stage do you? Also a component set is a good option but unless you are going to invest in a kickpanel setup you may as well just replace the factory door speakers. I suggest Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, Eclipse, Rockford Fosgate, Focal. When it's all said and done it's YOUR car so buy what you want. If I can help with anything ranging from install tips to actual sound qualities lemme know. Mark

Thread Information