Thread: Olympics

Farmer is offline Member

Olympics

This one is for the canadians, just wondering what your thoughts were on the figure skating last night when they lost to the russians. I didn't see it but I heard there is a lot of controversy over it now. Any thoughts?

peace

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I was pissed!!!! Figure skating is widley know for having politically motivated judges. It was blatently onvious to EVERYBODY who watched that Salle and Pelletier won that program!! The Russians had two, OBVIOUS, stumbles (that didn't result in falls, but were close) whereas the Canadians skated a flawless program. After the competition the Russian male came out to receive his placing and shook his head (seemingly in disgust) and acknowledged, non-verbally, that the Canadian duo deserved the gold. A very classy act on his behalf.

Farmer is offline Member
    No kidding, we talked about it in class today. I guess 5 of the 9 judges are from the eastern board and they'd screwed it for them all.

peace

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    The Russians screwed up, plain and f***ing simple. How does that deserve a gold medal? I don't even like figure skating, but I feel ripped off as a Canadian!!! The only thing that makes this better is hearing people all around the world that are crying foul. Sale and Pelletier said beforehand that they probably won't compete in 2006, so this might have been they're only chance.

Canada plays Sweden on Friday (4:00pm MST), and USA plays Finland on Friday (8:45pm MST). As far as Norway, sorry bro, they aren't in it.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Canada got screwed! and as said on the news "If it was a US figure skating team this wouldn't have happened!" Bastards! F#CKING politics.

Definitely going with the majority on this one, Canada was hosed. I wonder what the official inquiry on this one will bring. Do you think it will force them to recast the placing, or are the judge’s final decisions just that, final?

BRM.....absolutely nothiing will come out of this inquiry! The whole ISU is corrupt and self serving. At the 1998 Olympics in Nagano, Canadians Bourne and Kratz were relegated to 4th when it was widely acknowledged by skating analysts that they deserved a silver. But the French and Italian judges supported the Russian judges and the Russians reciprocated....guess who won gold, silver and bronze? At the 1999 worlds two east block judges were caught on video (TV Camera) making foot signals and eye contact as they were tallying votes. Bottom line is the inquirys from both of these incidents lead to 1 yr suspensions for the offending judges. It's bullshit!!!!!

righton is offline Senior Member
    Total F***king BULLSHIT!!!! Makes you wonder who's paying the IOC judges. Watched Elvis Stoyko last night, damn good performance 1 minor flaw 2 judges gave him 9's the rest 5's and one 4.......F***ken sickening.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

They are a class act and Canada should be proud of them....

You guys have one classy couple of athletes there. S & P were interviewed and came off as gracious as I have ever seen an athlete can act.

You guys should be proud of them, they are a TOTAL asset to your country, and the judges from the ISU should be ashamed.

They have tainted figure skating for me, and I don't plan to watch much of it ever again after the Olympics, unless it is non-compettion performances.

superbeast is offline Member
    What, are you canadians all bunch of sissies? What are you doing watching figure skating anyway?

SB.....we have to watch the events in which we have a shot at medals, so until Hockey starts, that includes fiqure skating, speed skating and bobsledding...............that's it

Canes....I'm sure we're all extremly proud of conducted themselves. But Leno played the anthem and waved the flag on the tonight show last night, so that recognition was a nice consolation. It's nice to know that our yankee brothers and sisters (and the rest of the world) support us

superbeast is offline Member
    I bet you're closet figure skater! Aren't you, Pete?

Yes I am SB....and you're trying to out me Can you imagine me trying to land a quad with all this bulk??!! LOL The gouge in the ice would look like the grand canyon!!!!

However, I did play hockey at a high level growing up....I'm sure there are not too many Canadian kids that didn't play hockey growing up It's like baseball and football in the States.

Sure enough Pete......

Originally posted by Pete235
    SB.....we have to watch the events in which we have a shot at medals, so until Hockey starts, that includes fiqure skating, speed skating and bobsledding...............that's it

Canes....I'm sure we're all extremly proud of conducted themselves. But Leno played the anthem and waved the flag on the tonight show last night, so that recognition was a nice consolation. It's nice to know that our yankee brothers and sisters (and the rest of the world) support us
    Pete,

If an American can't win, I'll usually root for the Canadian, or if not a Canadian, the Brit. I guess you'd call it a cultural thing. Those are the countries I have the greatest affection for other than my own, because they mimic my cultural standards more closely, and because of the language ties as well.

And as a child of the Cold War (I was born in 1960) I ALWAYS find it hard to root for Russians, Chinese or other former Communist countires athletes. They have to have a VERY compelling story to get me involved.

The investigation is revealing that the French judge was pressured into voting for the Russians. Apparently French officials had some kind of deal worked out, plus the French are known for disliking French-Canadians.

That being said, I think everyone knows that the silver medalists put on a gold performance and they continue to do us proud. Plus, they're gonna make way more money than they ever would have with a gold medal!!!

Originally posted by EXCESS
    The investigation is revealing that the French judge was pressured into voting for the Russians. Apparently French officials had some kind of deal worked out, plus the French are known for disliking French-Canadians.

That being said, I think everyone knows that the silver medalists put on a gold performance and they continue to do us proud. Plus, they're gonna make way more money than they ever would have with a gold medal!!!
    Apparently they are also the HIT of the games, as last night they were asked to make a special appearance at the concert the Bare Naked Ladies gave at the Medal Stand.

Cool for them !!!!

Thread Information