OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member

We knew it was coming - House votes to ban sales of andro, other pre-steroids

WASHINGTON -- The House overwhelmingly voted Thursday to limit sales of steroid precursors such as androstenedione following congressional and public pressure to stamp out performance-enhancing drug use among baseball players. The bill, passed 408-3, would ban over-the-counter sales of precursors, which act like steroids in the human body. "We are here to say enough is enough by making it harder to traffic in steroids and making sure there are tough penalties for those who do," said House Judiciary Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis. The bill also would double the penalties for manufacturing or distributing anabolic steroids at or near a sports facility. I find this part funny......

"The bill will go a long way to ensure that our nation's athletes and children will not be exposed to these dangerous products," said Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas. While protecting pro sports is important, stopping children from using those chemicals is even more important, House members said.

"Young athletes are using these drugs in the belief that they can become great in their sports and gain a lot of money," said Rep. Bobby Scott, D-Va. "However, in addition to risking disqualification in their sport, they also risk stunted growth, infertility and other long-term health problems and even death." Similar legislation, sponsored by Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., is pending in the Senate. The House debated the bill on Wednesday but delayed the vote until Thursday. Congress has taken an increased interest in the issue this year in the wake of reports of steroid use among athletes. A federal grand jury in San Francisco has indicted four men on charges of illegally distributing steroids, including the personal trainer of Barry Bonds. Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig has asked the union to renegotiate its contract to include a tough steroids policy, and union chief Donald Fehr has left open the possibility of doing that before the players' collective bargaining agreement expires in December 2006.

Dont they have bigger things to worry about?! errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OG
    Last edited by OGPackin; 06-03-2004 at 02:43 PM.

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    I really would like to have 1 of the senators or congressmen come to my gym or even write a letter why prohormonesa are dangerous. I bet they cant even have a good argument about it, I wonder why all the pressure. Yes it does improve sport performance, no kids shouldnt be taking anything, yes you will get stronger, no I dont think they work well

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    And then afterward they broke up to put down a pack of Pall Mall's and complain about the lack of respect in their laws...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    And then afterward they broke up to put down a pack of Pall Mall's and complain about the lack of respect in their laws...

Oh no smoking is much better for you than steroids or 1-ad or something

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, the problem is, hardly any politician is gonna vote against something that can be spun as harmful in an election year. Just Picture this ad...

---
    (Show Picture of Boy-next-door-all-american-high-school-quarterback. Preferably one of those lame trading card shots)
    Voice Over: Last Year, Jimmy was the starting quarterback at Most High. He led his team to the state championships.
    (Music changes to minor key doomsday sounding mess, remove color from photo)
    Voice Over: His yearnings to beat his competitors led him to take.... steroids. The effects soon took Jimmy's life.
    (Change shot to sobbing mother at funeral)
    Mother: Whyyyyyy..... (sobs)
    Voice Over: Congress decided to take action, creating the "Jimmy Memorial Act" removing these dangerous products from our schools.
    (Change shot to ugly picture of rival incumbent congressman)
    Voice Over: But Congressman Dickhead voted NO on Jimmy's Memorial.
    (Time the word "NO" to match the picture of Ugly Congressman to turn red)
    Voice Over: How many other young lives will be ended because of Congressman Dickhead?
    (Now change music to happy strings)
    (Voice over changes to happy, grandfather sounding voice)
    (Show shot of rival politician in some happy place, like a playground pushing swings)
    Rival Politician: I'm Blowme Harder, and I approved this message. If you elect me, I will protect your children from evil terrorist drug dealers. No one else has to succomb to this ugly underworld of sports.
    ---
    Of course, people that don't know any better see this, and then think that their current congressman is an evil person that hates kids.

See why this is a political hot potato?

If you went head to head with any of them you think they could link any casualties to steriods /prohormones? I dont not and be able to back it up

Quote Originally Posted by diablo27185
    Cigarettes are the number one killer in the entire world why the mother**** arent they banned yet?
    Maybe because cigs normally kill older folks getting ready to retire and grab a pension - and they need some people to die eventually...

This is just going to lead to an increase in steroid use /trafficking - since the "legal alternatives" will be illegal...

buffteen is offline Junior Member
    Tabacco is not banned because tabacco companies contribute $ to political campaigns. Our system is ludacris, congress actually provides subsidies to tabacco farmers while the states try to tax it to hell when it hits the shelves; counterproductive .

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Can't buy Androsestione but you can buy a gun. I like how they ban stuff thinking it is gonna stop its use.

"What they do go and ban the AK...My sh!t wasn't registered any ****ing way..." - Ice Cube

Quote Originally Posted by navydevildoc
    Yeah, the problem is, hardly any politician is gonna vote against something that can be spun as harmful in an election year. Just Picture this ad...

---
    (Show Picture of Boy-next-door-all-american-high-school-quarterback. Preferably one of those lame trading card shots)
    Voice Over: Last Year, Jimmy was the starting quarterback at Most High. He led his team to the state championships.
    (Music changes to minor key doomsday sounding mess, remove color from photo)
    Voice Over: His yearnings to beat his competitors led him to take.... steroids. The effects soon took Jimmy's life.
    (Change shot to sobbing mother at funeral)
    Mother: Whyyyyyy..... (sobs)
    Voice Over: Congress decided to take action, creating the "Jimmy Memorial Act" removing these dangerous products from our schools.
    (Change shot to ugly picture of rival incumbent congressman)
    Voice Over: But Congressman Dickhead voted NO on Jimmy's Memorial.
    (Time the word "NO" to match the picture of Ugly Congressman to turn red)
    Voice Over: How many other young lives will be ended because of Congressman Dickhead?
    (Now change music to happy strings)
    (Voice over changes to happy, grandfather sounding voice)
    (Show shot of rival politician in some happy place, like a playground pushing swings)
    Rival Politician: I'm Blowme Harder, and I approved this message. If you elect me, I will protect your children from evil terrorist drug dealers. No one else has to succomb to this ugly underworld of sports.
    ---
    Of course, people that don't know any better see this, and then think that their current congressman is an evil person that hates kids.

See why this is a political hot potato?
    Yeah... well... if I start a cult of Drano-drinkers - are they going to ban Drano as a kitchen sink cleaner? People need to take more responsibility for their actions - moderation and education are key here. If you fuk yourself up - your to blame... simple as that. Just like, guns don't kill people - people kill people... I don't know... I just think there is too much government sliding in with in the last 5-10 years... America needs to retain its ikon as a free nation...

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    Can't buy Androsestione but you can buy a gun. I like how they ban stuff thinking it is gonna stop its use.

"What they do go and ban the AK...My sh!t wasn't registered any ****ing way..." - Ice Cube
    Yup - thats were they fuked up with Alcohol prohibition - it just led to a lack in respect in governing laws... which changed the face of the nation from that point on...

Navydevildoc You hit it right on the button! wow, very nice. Still, I think we should ban protein, carbs, and fats next.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Without tobbacco and fast food for population control, the world is ****ed.

One more "little freedom" whittled away...

Frankly I am not impressed.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Yeah... well... if I start a cult of Drano-drinkers - are they going to ban Drano as a kitchen sink cleaner? People need to take more responsibility for their actions - moderation and education are key here. If you fuk yourself up - your to blame... simple as that. Just like, guns don't kill people - people kill people... I don't know... I just think there is too much government sliding in with in the last 5-10 years... America needs to retain its ikon as a free nation...
    Imagine if the Patriot Act gets passed!!!!

zOaib is offline VET
    " KILL ALL SENATORS AND CONGRESSMEN , AND STICK CIGARETTE BUDZ AND BROKEN BOTTLES OF JACK BEAN IN THEIR ROYAL @sses ! (amen)

zOaib is offline VET
    so does anyone here know when they take stuff of the shelves ??????????

Unhappy

OGPakin, where did you read this? I just looked through the washingtonpost.com and did not see anything like this over the last week. Did this vote happen recently?
    to Zoaib:first this type of thing would go before the full House for a vote after it gets out of committee, then it is sent to the senate where the vote it or amend it then they comprimise on a final version and send it to the president. This will most likely happen since republicans control the house senate and the presidency. It happened with ephedrine. republicans score a point with the voters on this one

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffteen
    OGPakin, where did you read this? I just looked through the washingtonpost.com and did not see anything like this over the last week. Did this vote happen recently?
    to Zoaib:first this type of thing would go before the full House for a vote after it gets out of committee, then it is sent to the senate where the vote it or amend it then they comprimise on a final version and send it to the president. This will most likely happen since republicans control the house senate and the presidency. It happened with ephedrine. republicans score a point with the voters on this one

Right here bro... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1815134

OG

zOaib is offline VET
    bump ! to KEEP THIS THREAD UPDATED ............. thx !

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    looks like i only like 3 politicians now

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    Imagine if the Patriot Act gets passed!!!!

...been passed for a couple of years now....

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams

....LOL......yep....very true....

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    WASHINGTON -- The House overwhelmingly voted Thursday to limit sales of steroid precursors such as androstenedione following congressional and public pressure to stamp out performance-enhancing drug use among baseball players. The bill, passed 408-3, would ban over-the-counter sales of precursors, which act like steroids in the human body. "We are here to say enough is enough by making it harder to traffic in steroids and making sure there are tough penalties for those who do," said House Judiciary Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis. The bill also would double the penalties for manufacturing or distributing anabolic steroids at or near a sports facility. I find this part funny......

"The bill will go a long way to ensure that our nation's athletes and children will not be exposed to these dangerous products," said Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas. While protecting pro sports is important, stopping children from using those chemicals is even more important, House members said.

"Young athletes are using these drugs in the belief that they can become great in their sports and gain a lot of money," said Rep. Bobby Scott, D-Va. "However, in addition to risking disqualification in their sport, they also risk stunted growth, infertility and other long-term health problems and even death." Similar legislation, sponsored by Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., is pending in the Senate. The House debated the bill on Wednesday but delayed the vote until Thursday. Congress has taken an increased interest in the issue this year in the wake of reports of steroid use among athletes. A federal grand jury in San Francisco has indicted four men on charges of illegally distributing steroids, including the personal trainer of Barry Bonds. Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig has asked the union to renegotiate its contract to include a tough steroids policy, and union chief Donald Fehr has left open the possibility of doing that before the players' collective bargaining agreement expires in December 2006.

Dont they have bigger things to worry about?! errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OG

Pretty soon all we are going to have left is Flintstones vitamins

Thread Information