redwizza is offline Associate Member

How much do trainers make (in gym)

how much do they make, the ones that work for the health clubs. im writing the ace exam in about 2 months and i was wondering what i should expect. im thinking it will be minimum wage....is that right?

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I think at Bally's and 24 hour you get paid in 20 yr old nookie. Sounds like a good deal to me.

20 year old nookie!!!???? huh?

I'm not being serious man. You will most likely get minimum wage, or pretty close to it, at a large commercial gym like Bally's, 24 hr, etc. I said the nookie thing as a joke. I truly believe that's the reason most guys work there, it's sure as hell not for the money. You wnat to make money in the gym biz you can sell memberships or be a for fee personal trainer.

TPAK is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redwizza
    Please don't tell me that you have no idea what he is saying.....LOL @ Chicamhomico

Danielle is offline Female Member
    depends what state you are from...........minium wage?.......definlity not..........minium wage in New York is only about $5.15.........trainers usually average about 18-20 bucks an hour..........and depending on the club, they can also get comminsion on all of their sales.......i know @ my gym........you get 10% off every sale you make..........
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Quote Originally Posted by TPAK
    Please don't tell me that you have no idea what he is saying.....LOL @ Chicamhomico

oh yes i do know what he means...lol.....just didnt answer my question thats all. im not going into this as a permeanant thing, just wanna work a job that i think ill be good at until i graduate from university, instead of working labor work or some dishwashing job here and there!

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    You need to find a gym that isnt corporate. My buddy at my gym makes upwards of 80,000 a year. He struck a goldmine with all the RICH highschool kids around our area. When you throw 500+ pounds on the benchpress and rep it out, the highschool kids want to train with you

All he does is pay rent to the owner. Around 1,500 a month.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    He reps 500+ pounds on bench??? I doubt that.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    He reps 500+ pounds on bench??? I doubt that.
    You mean you cant do that? better get with it boy

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Im not kidding you dudes about this.... I knew a guy who was I believe around 23 years old, about 6foot 6 over 300 pounds and was just like a big farm boy type fella.

This dude could press 7 PLATES A SIDE .. the fricken bar was totally bent and he repped it .. It was the most insane thing you could ever imagine.. he used to side lateral raise 120 pound DBells for reps ... bent over concerntration curl 130 pound Dbells

I dont know what happened to him... I think he was trying out for the worlds strongest man comp...

dude could squat and deadlift I THINK 1000 lbs .. I cant remember how many plates .. but seriously .. just fricken INSANE. ... and nice as hell!

hope he's still livin!

Sure, I think everone knows somebody who knows a person who can quite handily best Ed Coan's lifts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    Im not kidding you dudes about this.... I knew a guy who was I believe around 23 years old, about 6foot 6 over 300 pounds and was just like a big farm boy type fella.

This dude could press 7 PLATES A SIDE .. the fricken bar was totally bent and he repped it .. It was the most insane thing you could ever imagine.. he used to side lateral raise 120 pound DBells for reps ... bent over concerntration curl 130 pound Dbells

I dont know what happened to him... I think he was trying out for the worlds strongest man comp...

dude could squat and deadlift I THINK 1000 lbs .. I cant remember how many plates .. but seriously .. just fricken INSANE. ... and nice as hell!

hope he's still livin!

massimo is offline Junior Member

hope he's still livin!
    If he can rep out 775 he should train for the bench press world record.

nsa
    Let the exagerations begin, oh wait they are have begun...

ColdSore is offline Banned

hope he's still livin!
    and my dick squirts gold

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by coldstone
    and my dick squirts gold
    LMAO...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Judging by your other thread here, I believe nookie is the last thing that should be on your list of benefits.

~SC~

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Judging by your other thread here, I believe nookie is the last thing that should be on your list of benefits.

~SC~
    yes im abstaining from that.

cjp85 is offline Member
    24 hours trainers make about 20/hour(depending on certs) when they are actually training a client, minimum when they are walking the floor for clients or doing free introductory sessions, and 10% of the total gross that they write for training. if you can sell you can get paid at 24 Hour. I work in sales for 24 Hour and the **** is just so easy to convince someone they ned a gym membership and training.

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Good luck on your exams bro

capone_22 is offline Junior Member
    redwizza: yeah, as stated above, the majority of times you won't maximize your $$$ at the main corporate health clubs. Why not try studio's??? At some studio's, trainers charge like 50-75 bucks per session. Grab like 10-15 hrs per week and you got yourself a helluva a side thing.

bubbathegut is offline Member
    can u drink winny?

BDTR is offline Retired
    It all depends. I do both sales and training. I make commision on sales, as well as commision on training. 12% for membership sales and a scaled commision on training depending on how many sessions they buy. Honestly, if you know how to hustle... you make BIG MONEY. Right now im grossing 1600 (before taxes) a week on sales/training, just from hustling memberships and pushing my training. Hard to say no to though...

If you dont know how to hustle... then you're going to make CRAP, its just that simple. The hard part of the job is selling your services, the easy part is training.

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    another day..another hustle

BDTR is offline Retired
    Ballys pays good if you know how to work people and get lots of sessions from them. It's pretty much training commision.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I'm not being serious man. You will most likely get minimum wage, or pretty close to it, at a large commercial gym like Bally's, 24 hr, etc. I said the nookie thing as a joke. I truly believe that's the reason most guys work there, it's sure as hell not for the money. You wnat to make money in the gym biz you can sell memberships or be a for fee personal trainer.

medic23 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by massimo
    If he can rep out 775 he should train for the bench press world record.
    plates is 675 and he didnt say rep and I believ it

I was under the impression many of the big box gyms paid their 'trainers' (ie same kid that works at GNC) a mediocre wage? I know you can make a killing like you said above if you are a good salesman but I thought Bally's type places paid trainers hourly mainly for how to use the equipment sessions and to print out 'custom' workout routines.

When I say minimum wage I mean any job under about $15 an hour, which is no doubt an off definition by most people's standards. That's cause I'm warped.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Ballys pays good if you know how to work people and get lots of sessions from them. It's pretty much training commision.

Symian is offline Member
    how much do they make, the ones that work for the health clubs. im writing the ace exam in about 2 months and i was wondering what i should expect. im thinking it will be minimum wage....is that right?
    At my gym, World Gym, the trainers make 60% of $35hr sessions. So whatever that comes out to. A little over $20 hour. So you could work for 2 hours a day and make almost the same as working full time at minimum wage.

priest_416 is offline Registered User
    Im a trainer in ontario at a local club.(family fitness) I make $22.50 hour plus 12% commission. I heard that another local gym(popeyes gym, I train at this one) pays up to $30 hour. I have to check it out to believe it.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i dont train thru a gym, i train ppl in the evening after work and when they are off, and i get 45a session... all depends on your town and gym and what you can show and offer really..

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    Just like everyone has already said. You have to be a sales person to make any money in a big corporate gym. If you work the floor you would be lucky to make $7 - $8 per hour. When you train it can be anywhere from $12 – $30 per session depending on your certifications and qualifications. If you sell gym memberships you can make more money.

If you know your stuff, skip the big chain gyms and go to a studio or a country club. I work out of a studio and I train at a local CC. I make $45 per session at the studio and I make $57 per session at the CC. All mine. At the local gym around here I would be only taking home around $18 per session.

The big clubs are known for not paying their trainers. That’s why you have some really bad trainers at those clubs.

Make some calls and see what they pay their trainers before hand. Doing in-home training is another area where you can make some big money in training. I personally know trainers who charge $150 - $200 per session to do in-home training. It all depends on how hard you want to work.

Thread Information