OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member

Working in Iraq....Would u...?

I just found out one of my bros friends is leaving to work in Iraq. Hes a chef and hes going to be cooking for the troops. He had to sign a 1 year contract and hes going to make 100grand for the year. To others it might not be a lot of money, but this kid is in his mid 20's, so to him its a lot of cabbage. Plus i think he still lives at home. Anyway, would u do it?

OG

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    For 100k, BET YOUR LIFE I WOULD.

Would I serve with the alliance if my country was brought into the war?. NOT ON YOUR LIFE.

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    As long as I could carry a weapon. If I were him I would go.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER

Would I serve with the alliance if my country was brought into the war?. NOT ON YOUR LIFE.

I think id have to do it too bro....

OG

Seriously for 100k I'd be a mercenary in almost any part of the world, provided of course I was a single man. I know your talking about a chef, but hell I'd do alot more than cook for that kinda money.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Bum. If 100K is that important to you go to law school and in 5-10 years you will make many times that for as long as you want to continue to work. I think these guys are nuts going to Iraq to work. Going as a soldier is one thing, you are fulfilling an obligation you made to your country but going as a civilian just says you don't place a whole lot of dollar value on your life IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Bum. If 100K is that important to you go to law school and in 5-10 years you will make many times that for as long as you want to continue to work. I think these guys are nuts going to Iraq to work. Going as a soldier is one thing, you are fulfilling an obligation you made to your country but going as a civilian just says you don't place a whole lot of dollar value on your life IMO.

Either way, I'd do it. But then again I'm speaking as a soldier with combat experience. Wouldn't cause me a second thought to bring my skills to some poor unfortunets for 100k!. Maybe I should list my extermination prices!.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico

Ya but this kid is not going to law school hes a chef, and hes in his 20's still living at home. Now to someone like him thats a **** load of money. It would probably take him 3 - 5 years to make that. Plus im not sure how dangerous it will really be for him. He'll be working in one of the Army camps not out with the general public. Still i realize there is a danger.

OG

Either way, I'd do it. But then again I'm speaking as a soldier with combat experience. Wouldn't cause me a second thought to bring my skills to some poor unfortunets for 100k!. Maybe I should list my extermination prices!.

hmmmmm......we may have to talk bro.....

OG

Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    He'll be working in one of the Army camps not out with the general public. Still i realize there is a danger.

OG

Ya, buggery, gangrape, eaten by dogs, phyical abuse, water torture and having his head chopped off, and thats by the good guys

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Here are places to start if you want in... there's money to be made but don't be one of those that steps foot on the sand then wants a flight back to the US:

Basic base operations: ITT, Brown and Root (Haliburton)
    Security/PSD: Blackwater, Triple Canopy, DynCorp, ITT, Spartan, CSA
    Sys Administrators: General Dynamics, Logistics 2020
    Linguists/Analysis: Titan, CACI
    Air Wing Mechanics: DunCorp

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Nope, never in a million years would I do that.

Not when I can be a fitness entrepreneur/trainer in the U.S. and make almost the same amount.

~SC~

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    there is not enough money in iraq for me to go. you can make that kind of money in the us

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Nope, never in a million years would I do that.

Not when I can be a fitness entrepreneur/trainer in the U.S. and make almost the same amount.

~SC~
    I make that sitting on my ass here in NYC plus I get to browse AR all **** day.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    I make that sitting on my ass here in NYC plus I get to browse AR all **** day.
    Average contracts in the Middle East range from 50k to 200k per year. And that includes meals and housing... no bills whatsoever. You just collect your paycheck and everything is paid for... plus gear is OTC

UnNaturalBuff is offline Member
    I would, you'd be cooking for the military right? so odds are you'd be out of harms way most of the time, just wouldn't leave that base for the life of me.

OverDrive is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    As long as I could carry a weapon. If I were him I would go.
    roger that bigdog ... but the civi's can't carry a weapon. F*ck that man ... I carry a weapon in my own town, you'd bet your a$$ I'd be carrying abroad.

My buddy has a chance to go and make some serious tax free cash. I'm trying to talk him out of it. He has kids to think of.

ntwrk is offline Junior Member
    Wow. We've got some well paid bros here on AR.
    100k is alot of $, but not enough for the risk. The macho alter-ego of myself would love to grab an AR15, glock9, m16 and enough rounds to pull a Rambo first blood in Fallujah.
    But the father of two kids, husband and network engineer part of me sees that as a BAD decision

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ntwrk
    But the father of two kids, husband and network engineer part of me sees that as a BAD decision
    Precisely!

As well, good stuff Carlos........I can surf here all day too.......lovely!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrive
    My buddy has a chance to go and make some serious tax free cash.
    As long as you stay the 330 days it's tax free... if you quit then you will owe Uncle Sam for the taxes you don't pay. But not getting any taxes takin' out of your income is another plus...

decadbal is offline Banned
    most if not all army units have their own spoons, whats he gonna be doing, working at a mcdonalds pop up stand....

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    100k being around a platoon of military personel. Hell yeah I would go. I wouldnt go to the mall on the weekends or check out the sights. I would stay in the military confines. I would also have a gun like everyone else suggested.

I wouldnt be a surveryer off by myself or some civilian type job where it is easy to get kidnapped.

medic23 is offline Associate Member
    Besides the money, someone has to feed our troops, being a chef this may be the most maeningful thing this kid ever does in his life. He may not be serving in the war but its more than staying home because hes scared. And yea thats a lot of money to me.

decadbal is offline Banned
    [QUOTE=bermich]I would also have a gun like everyone else suggested.[QUOTE]

cowboys play with guns. soldiers carry weapons....lol

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Here are places to start if you want in... there's money to be made but don't be one of those that steps foot on the sand then wants a flight back to the US:

Basic base operations: ITT, Brown and Root (Haliburton)
    Security/PSD: Blackwater, Triple Canopy, DynCorp, ITT, Spartan, CSA
    Sys Administrators: General Dynamics, Logistics 2020
    Linguists/Analysis: Titan, CACI
    Air Wing Mechanics: DunCorp
    Oh man... you left out Northrop Grumman... HUGE player. I work for them now, and went over to support some equipment for a week. Had fun, got to say I was there, was accompanied by people with guns, then got the **** out.

Thread Information