Question I got a question about Michael Moore

First off, let me say I don't like him. I don't like his style, I don't like his ways. I think he has taken "journalism" to a new low of sensationalism and one sided partisanry.

That being said I have a question...

How come he hasn't been sued out of existance?

I mean seriously, he's in the US, "land of the lawsuit"... a place where everyone sues everyone for any reason. A place where libel and slander lawsuits are as common as McDonalds on every street corner...

Now most republicans seem to claim almost unanimously that just about everything this guy makes movies about or says publicly is a tissue of lies and fabrications. If thats so, how come he gets away with it? After all "freedom of speech" only goes so far and doesn't protect outright lies.

This guy has gone after and "exposed" a lot of the biggest richest industries and most powerfull people in the USA, people and industries who would have you or me or anyone in court in minutes if we dared publish lies about them. People and industries who have the best legal representation money can buy.

So why is he not being sued left right and center?

(believe it or not, this popped in my head and got me thinking while doing decline presses this morning... don't ask! )

Red

SV-1 is offline Respected Member
    I see this turning into one hell of a mess, real quick.

*runs and hides in corner to watch*

butterface is offline Banned
    I didnt like his movie about colombine one bit, Couldnt even get through it walked off 1/3 into it. His new movie looks pretty good though. I'm pretty sure he has a lot of lawyers that check his stuff pretty thorougly before he puts it out. For example he had the abu gharib prison abuse pictures long before anyone saw it but he held onto them for fear of lawsuits and reprisals.

mass junkie is offline banned
    actually he has...on more than one occasion

http://www.moorewatch.com/

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    I have no respect for the guy. I really disliked Bowling for Col. Especially when he called Bush out in his speech. Fu.ckin idiot, even if you dont agree with him dont blast him on TV. He is our leader/figure head.

Speed Trials is offline Junior Member
    This may be a little off track, but does anyone else feel like maybe Michael Moore should hit a gym every now and then instead of making all these documentaries?

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    First, I don't think he claims to be a journalist and I don't think he denies that he presents a one sided view.

But to answer your question, he welcomes lawsuits. It provides him more publicity to his causes. Same thing with Larry Flynt when he took his free speech case to the Supreme Court.

Most companies/individuals don't sue him because they think it's a better practice to ignore him and hope he goes away as opposed to take him to court. If they go to court, they'll have to answer questions about the topic.

I can take him in small doses. I think he's entertaining but he's definitely full of himself.

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    he's fat, needs to get punched in the face and really needs to hit the gym. then after all of that he needs to get a life and stop being so full of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    Most companies/individuals don't sue him because they think it's a better practice to ignore him and hope he goes away as opposed to take him to court.
    You have a good point...

Legal action against him would be free publicity... that makes sense. On the other hand, if he's wrong he's wrong, no amount of publicity would save him once he is ruined by a good lawsuit or two.

As for him going away, I doubt that will happen... sensationalism sells... he'll ride that bandwagon until it crashes.

If they go to court, they'll have to answer questions about the topic.
    Hmmm, would that not impart some validity to his points then? After all, I assume if he were outright lying they would crucify him in court, if they are not taking action from fear of questions it does cast a shadow of doubt that they may have something to hide?

I am also not a fan, but for different reasons than those who just bash him personally (and not his work). I personally dislike his style of pseudo-journalism and think his methods are shady. 15 minutes is all I was able to sit thru of BFC... it annoyed me to no end.

Red

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    have to remember - that publicity of false charges is still damaging

if I take you to court because you called me a child molester - and it is completely totally unfounded - it doesnt matter, the more press it gets the more people will believe that there must be something to it and all people will think about when your name comes up is "child molester" - thats how it works

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    have to remember - that publicity of false charges is still damaging

if I take you to court because you called me a child molester - and it is completely totally unfounded - it doesnt matter, the more press it gets the more people will believe that there must be something to it and all people will think about when your name comes up is "child molester" - thats how it works
    Very true...
    Very similar to Michael Jackson...whether in fact he did or not is still to be decided...but to be honest...many ppl think he did, b/c of the suspicion...

I enjoy watchin Moore b/c he is entertaining.....I don't like HIM though....cocky fuker...

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    I like bowling for columbine, thought it was really interesting, as did everyone i know. I read most of Stupid white men (wasnt my book and had to return it) and am currently reading 'Dude wheres my country'. He can go on a bit but he has some interesting stuff to say! I liked it when he interviewed charlton heston. That guy deserved that!

qccat is offline Associate Member
    Dude is a failed journalist with nothing better to do than find flaws in everyone else. Hand the man a mirror

Quote Originally Posted by qccat
    Dude is a failed journalist with nothing better to do than find flaws in everyone else. Hand the man a mirror
    Is he really any different than Rush Limbaugh?

*peeks out of cover to watch carnage from this remark*

bubbathegut is offline Member
    i dont like michael moore,

M PWR is offline Junior Member
    Some should pay for him to be killed

p.s. i'm running a discounted hitman business this week! limited time only!

-Sean

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I liked Bowling for Columbine and I will definitely watch Farenheit911 when it comes out. Moore is hardly what one would call an investigative journalist but he does not claim to be one. His films are shown in a 'this is how I see things' light, no more, no less. I can't belive so many of you guys get so pissed over a fat guy and his movies. It's just another viewpoint to check out and maybe you will see something in a way you failed see it before. This guy's stories are no better or worse than any other one sided political opionist but they are a hell of a lot more interesting IMO.

qccat is offline Associate Member
    not really any different, other than the fact that he's a self proclaimed filmaker. Both are very opinionated and want other's to hear their views.

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont know, i think its kind of cool to watch some of his little documentaries. I mean he exposes sh*t that is going on in our country that is appauling. IE-the one about the auto-making plant in michigan and how the head of GM laid them off........pretty interesting stuff i think

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Now most republicans seem to claim almost unanimously that just about everything this guy makes movies about or says publicly is a tissue of lies and fabrications. If thats so, how come he gets away with it? After all "freedom of speech" only goes so far and doesn't protect outright lies.
    In his movies, he usually delineates what was cold hard fact, and what is his opinion. Now, he may only use snippets of facts, but that's no different than any other news agency or spin house out there.

What in particular do you think he has lied about?

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino58
    I have no respect for the guy. I really disliked Bowling for Col. Especially when he called Bush out in his speech. Fu.ckin idiot, even if you dont agree with him dont blast him on TV. He is our leader/figure head.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
    -Theodore Roosevelt

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    moore's stuff is entertaining but I think he should be grateful with the politicians he has down there. In Canada I don't even vote b/c there I don't trust any of the politicians, no one I know does, so whats the point in voting?. Doesnt matter who is elected, they never make good on their promisies and just make things worse EVEN IF THEY TRY. And the worst part is the media doesnt even make them pay. They are ALL a bunch of crooks. I would give an arm and a leg for some of the legit senators and politians in the US that acually care about their country. okay rant over.

Swellin Guest
    I find no entertainment in anything that nutjob does. As a former anarchist, he was kicked out of the organization for stirring sh!t. How do you get kicked out of an anarchist organization (the idea of such an organization is a bit of a paradox) for stirring sh!t?

I can't stand the guy...if his ideas are so contrary to mine...how could I possibly gleen anything from him?

No, I don't care to much for Rush either.

These type of people just don't interest me...wait a minute...they repulse me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    I can't stand the guy...if his ideas are so contrary to mine...how could I possibly gleen anything from him?
    So your saying you can only learn things from people that have ideas identical to yours? Talk about a paradox.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    He does some cool stuff, like one time he was going around in a cab and wouldn't pick up white people, or drive to rich neighborhoods in New York, to show them what discrimination feels like. It was videotaped. I was rolling.

OverDrive is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M PWR
    Some should pay for him to be killed

p.s. i'm running a discounted hitman business this week! limited time only!

-Sean
    ha ... stranger things have happened when it comes to crossing the goverment. A sniper rifle, good scope and a steady hand. Remember the grassy knole!?!?!

Swellin Guest
    So your saying you can only learn things from people that have ideas identical to yours? Talk about a paradox.
    So you have decided to be the first one to attack another's point of view in this thread. I guess somebody had to start.
    That's not what I said, and I don't appreciate your implication.

There is a huge difference in identical and contrary...with a vast area of varying degrees in between. If I am repulsed to the point that I can't tolerate the sound of his voice...how the hell will I get anything from it.
    Last edited by Swellin; 06-19-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrive
    ha ... stranger things have happened when it comes to crossing the goverment. A sniper rifle, good scope and a steady hand. Remember the grassy knole!?!?!
    Yeah, Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Heuy Newton, and Cleaver all know how accidents happen.
    I think some of the things Michael Moore does gives people in poverty a voice. I mean what happened to those kids in Columbine happens everyday in the ghetto to kids that age, but its not on national news.

So you have decided to be the first one to attack another's point of view in this thread. I guess somebody had to start.
    That's not what I said, and I don't appreciate your implication.

There is a huge difference in identical and contrary...with a vast area of varying degrees in between. If I am repulsed to the point that I can't tolerate the sound of his voice...how the hell will I get anything from it.
    Dude, sorry it came across that I attacked your point of view. Not my intention at all. One of the things I love about AR is the wide range of ideologies. I'm open to listen about all of them. I just thought you were closing yourself off to any other point of view. Total misunderstanding.

Shake?

Dude, sorry it came across that I attacked your point of view. Not my intention at all. One of the things I love about AR is the wide range of ideologies. I'm open to listen about all of them. I just thought you were closing yourself off to any other point of view. Total misunderstanding.

Shake?
    Yeah, disagreeing with someones opinion isnt "attacking" it is just disagreeing. We agree to disagree on here.

Swellin Guest
    Cool Bad Man! I was actually going to PM you ...this just cleared it.

**shake**

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    My fiance likes the guy. She wants to see his new movie. She has his books, etc. I cant stand the guy. He is a coward with a lot of support.

Cool Bad Man! I was actually going to PM you ...this just cleared it.

**shake**
    Kiss? Whoops. Maybe not.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    moore's stuff is entertaining but I think he should be grateful with the politicians he has down there. In Canada I don't even vote b/c there I don't trust any of the politicians, no one I know does, so whats the point in voting?. Doesnt matter who is elected, they never make good on their promisies and just make things worse EVEN IF THEY TRY. And the worst part is the media doesnt even make them pay. They are ALL a bunch of crooks. I would give an arm and a leg for some of the legit senators and politians in the US that acually care about their country. okay rant over.
    Actually, the other day on C-Span, I saw the canadian prime minister debating with 2 other canadian politicians, and some of them were actually making good points, not sure if its election year there or what, but hell it would be nice if bush had to answer to a couple other politicians at least, if anything just to make sure he knows what he's doing.

If you think WE can trust our politicians then you don't keep up on American politics. They told us there were Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq, that everyone would have healthcare before Bush leaves office, and that the economy would greatly improve with Bush's plan. Not to mention we didn't even vote for Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I love this guy! He pisses more people off than anyone else i know!

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I love this guy! He pisses more people off than anyone else i know!
    Why am I not surprised to hear you say that?

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    First off, let me say I don't like him. I don't like his style, I don't like his ways. I think he has taken "journalism" to a new low of sensationalism and one sided partisanry.
    Red
    Yeah. Kind of like Fox "news".

Thread Information