Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Americans in Kabul Hold Kerry Fund-Raiser

Now if this doesnt show the difference of who is who, I dont know what does - notice all the volunteer orgs and our wonderfull state department (embassy) are the ones interested - yet not one single soldier - pathetic lemmings who live in the shadow of courageous men and women, protected so they can spew their mindless drivel - sheep bleeting and dancing while wolves snarl at the door and lions hold them back

Fri Jun 25, 9:31 AM ET

By MATTHEW PENNINGTON, Associated Press Writer

KABUL, Afghanistan - With armed Afghan guards at the gate and a Democrat donkey mascot chewing leaves in the shade, dozens of American expatriates held a fund-raiser in Kabul on Friday for U.S. presidential hopeful John Kerry (news - web sites).

About 60 people, mostly nongovernment aid workers, gathered at a restaurant garden across town from the fortress-like American Embassy, declaring "Kabul for Kerry."

"It's important to show that there are Americans everywhere, even in Afghanistan (news - web sites), who want a change of leadership in the United States," said organizer Karen Hirschfeld, of Winchester, Mass., who is helping Afghans get ready for this year's national elections.

"For the future of Afghanistan, Iraq (news - web sites) and America, we need someone with a more rational foreign policy who will work with the international community. We think John Kerry will be a good leader."

The gathering, open only to Americans and not officially endorsed by the Kerry campaign, was a far cry from Thursday's concert in Los Angeles featuring Barbra Streisand and a host of Hollywood stars that raised $5 million.

"Kabul for Kerry" organizers urged guests to contribute to his campaign and cast absentee ballots in the November presidential election.

They pinned Kerry badges on the lapels of participants who paid $10 to cover the cost of the breakfast and hired "Franklin the Democratic Donkey" from its Afghan owner to serve as the party mascot.

None of the thousands of U.S. military personnel based in Afghanistan to hunt for al-Qaida and Taliban rebels turned up for Friday's event.

Organizers said plenty of U.S. Embassy workers expressed an interest but were barred from coming for security reasons — although 11 Interior Ministry guards were deployed at the venue.

Ayan Hussein, 31, a health sector worker from Baltimore, said she wanted to help bring about a "regime change" in Washington.

Stephen Landrigan, 55, an education aid worker, said most of the people at the fund-raiser were likely working on U.S. government projects.

Landrigan, from Boston and wearing a Red Sox T-shirt, said Kerry had done a good job as Massachusetts senator and urged him to visit Afghanistan as part of his election campaign.

"He's a man who can think, which we can't say about our current president," he said.

While many at the fund-raiser said they had supported the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan to topple the Taliban for harboring Osama bin Laden (news - web sites), they deplored the war in Iraq and questioned current U.S. policies on Afghanistan.

Hirschfeld accused the Bush administration of pushing too hard for the first post-Taliban election in September, which has been scheduled according to a constitutionally binding agreement but overshadowed by a virulent Taliban-led insurgency.

"The U.S. needs a foreign policy success before November by pulling off democratic elections in Afghanistan. I'm not sure the country is ready for it," she said.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I don't think this is really showing the who is who screwing the gnarling sheepish leave eating lions.

So what you're trying to say is that this article says not a single troop in kabul supports kerry? I don't honestly think the story shows the whole story, because hell, even if there weren't any troops that were kerry supporters, don't you think some would just show up to see what the hell was going on? I mean hell its afghanistan, wtf else would they do? Afghanistan isn't exactly a party. IDK, maybe there were security issues or something, or the soldiers had military obligations. I just don't think you should jump to conclusions so fast cycleon.

what i find interesting is that a LOT of the NGO crowd and PLENTY of the embassy staff showed interest - doesnt seem to find any interest with the soldiers tho

kinda like the only people who think John Kerry's service record is honorable is the ones who did NOT serve with him

http://www.swiftvets.com/

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Are soldiers discouraged from participating in such rallies? It would seem to me that the senior officers, regardless of their political leanings, would encourage their men not to get involved in public rallies? I could be wrong but it just seems to make sense.

DF2003 is offline Banned Boofus
    the only thing i have to say is...if you want to give up our soverignty(sp? good god im drunk) then vote for kerry! i dont agree with a lot of issues with bush but i would rather him run the country than kerry. but the down fall of bush winning is...hilary clinton in 2008! unless bush takes rudy giullani as vice!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Are soldiers discouraged from participating in such rallies? It would seem to me that the senior officers, regardless of their political leanings, would encourage their men not to get involved in public rallies? I could be wrong but it just seems to make sense.
    I'm not sure about the American armed forces but thats the way it operates here and in most other armies I've had the previlage to serve with.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    what i find interesting is that a LOT of the NGO crowd and PLENTY of the embassy staff showed interest - doesnt seem to find any interest with the soldiers tho

kinda like the only people who think John Kerry's service record is honorable is the ones who did NOT serve with him

Is there any way to really prove that the people on that site are indeed veterans who served with kerry?

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member

what ever it maybe, it still beats bush's service record..

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I wasn't sure but I thouht that was the case in many armed forces. Recently Canadian troops were casting ballots (CDN federal election on Monday) in Kabul and the ones they interviewed said nothing but textbook PC lines about 'voting is exercising our democratic rights'. Watching it you got the feeling a stating partisan political message was just not something they were allowed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I'm not sure about the American armed forces but thats the way it operates here and in most other armies I've had the previlage to serve with.

NoobJuice is offline Member
    I'LL tell you this, I work at a federal comlex in KC MO and there are always marines on site. A marine is the one that e-mailed me about some of the **** that is really going on.
    The French told Bush there was no WOMD (weopons of mass destruction)
    The English told Bush there was no WOMD
    These are the countries who have ties to Iraq and Afgan, oil or otherwise.
    They knew what they were talking about, YET Rumsfeld insisted they were wrong and convinced Bush that there were WOMD and we had to do something about it. They were wrong though. So we occupied something that didn't need occupied. Come to think of it Al-quieda had Hussein as no 3 target on the "hit list" After french and USA. If there was an ally to be had it would have been Hussein. I know it sounds ****ed up but this is the truth.
    His whole pannel is FU*(*. (BUSH)
    Bush dosen't run this country his panel of cronies does.
    What I am getting at is we screwed the whole situation up over there.
    Taliban-Alquidea hated us before. The citizens of the country didnt give two sh(*( one way or the other.
    Once we occupied and started killing innocents- now they hate us.
    GOOOOOD I could go on forever but I'll end here as I am going to the gym.
    I will continue later.

_STONE

_

Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    Is there any way to really prove that the people on that site are indeed veterans who served with kerry?
    They are certainly legit - the media has checked them already and yes, they all served with him - a real eye opener, no?

bubbathegut is offline Member
    kerry stinks, have u seen his horse face daughter

come on -no need to denegrate his daughter just because of the Father - no reason to personally bash - no point in going "liberal"

Hey, at least Kerry has ppl in the military that remember him

He's done more service for his country than bush has ever done. Of course ppl are still debating whether or not bush has done any service for his country.

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    We are in big trouble if Kerry gets into office...He's out there in left field...

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist
    We are in big trouble if Kerry gets into office...He's out there in left field...
    What do you think will get worse? The economy, Iraq, afghanistan, education ....????

Thread Information