Terinox is offline The One & Only

Oversleeping Can Do Harm !?!?

POSTED IN THE TORONTO STAR, FEBRUARY 15, 2002.

Oversleeping can do harm
    Study suggests too many Zs are as bad as too few
    Prithi Yelaja
    Medical Reporter
    Advertisement:

It turns out that the Corsican conqueror Napoleon — who advocated six hours of sleep for a man, seven for a woman and eight for a fool — may have been right after all.

New U.S. research suggests that people who sleep five to seven hours live longer than those who sleep eight hours or more a night.

The average North American gets 6.5 hours of shut-eye a night, which is just fine, says the study's lead author, Dr. Daniel Kripke, a professor of psychiatry at the University of California at San Diego.

"People who sleep five, six or seven hours have nothing to worry about. There is no evidence that people need eight hours of sleep. That's just what Grandma used to teach, without any scientific basis."

But it's too early to reset the alarm clock just yet, said Kripke, an eight-hour-a-night sleeper. "Additional studies are needed to determine if setting your alarm clock earlier will actually improve your health."

Kripke and colleagues surveyed 1.1 million Americans aged 30 to 102 between 1982 and 1988. Participants were mainly friends and family of American Cancer Society volunteers, not randomly selected.

The results have not been available until recently, because of the time required to analyze the data.

The best survival rates were among people who slumbered seven hours a night — about 33 per cent of study participants. Those sleeping eight hours — about 38 per cent — were 12 per cent more likely than the first group to die within six years.

The increase in mortality was more than 15 per cent for those who reported getting more than 8.5 hours or less than four hours nightly.

Heart disease, stroke and cancer were the top causes of death.

Less than 1 per cent slept, like Napoleon, four hours or less. Eight per cent slept nine hours or more.

Frequent insomnia had no effect on risk of death, but taking a sleeping pill every night was associated with a 25 per cent increased risk.

The study provoked cautions, with some experts saying the main problem in sleep habits is deprivation.

"None of this says sleep kills people," Daniel Buysse, a University of Pittsburgh psychiatrist and past president of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, told the Washington Post. "You should sleep as much as you need to feel awake, alert and attentive the next day ... I'm much more concerned about people short-changing themselves on sleep than people sleeping too long.''

The Star asked some high-profile Torontonians how much they sleep.

Robert Birgeneau, president of the University of Toronto, gets between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 hours of sleep each night. He likes to get seven hours a night — so he's getting just what he needs.

"Usually, I don't get more than four hours," said Mayor Mel Lastman. "It hasn't always been that way. It started just about four years ago, when I got this job. I asked my doctor, and he said, `When you get out of politics, you'll find you will get a lot more sleep.' Occasionally, I do take something to help me sleep."

The idea that eight hours a night is optimal has been perpetuated by sleeping pill manufacturers, Kripke said. Sleep loss actually acts as an antidepressant, according to Kripke, who compared the habit of oversleeping to overeating. "Everyone knows that eating too much is bad for you. If you eat a little bit less than you desire, you will live longer. It is also true that if we look across the mammalian kingdom, the short sleepers live longer."

However, experts said the research fails to measure quality of sleep and neglects strong evidence that there are natural variations.

"Our approach is, you need as much sleep as it takes for you to wake up feeling refreshed. There's no set number. Some need more. Some need less, as long as it's good-quality, deep, restorative sleep," said Dr. Peter Munt, former sleep lab director at Kingston General Hospital.

gymnut4u is offline Member
    Great post bro,I have always thought i got to little sleep about 5-6 hours but guess it is up to your bod what you need to feel good .

ptbyjason Guest
    I saw that story yesterday and was going to post it. Anyone that has been on this board for a while knows I never sleep. I get AT THE MOST 6 hours of sleep a night. I don't do it intentionally, it just happens.

fathead is offline New Member
    Anyone know a good non-prescription cure for insomnia?
    I have it for about 10 years now and I am only 23,believe me this is something I've tried to cure before including numerous trips to the doctor.I've now given up on sleeping ever!

Ray
    Ray is offline Junior Member
    personally i believe a hard worker in the wgt room should be getting 8.5-9.5 hours of sleep a night to maximize results. that study was more than likely on non-exercising individuals who do not really need that extra sleep to repair muscle. Just like non exercising individuals dont need the extra protein that we strive to get they dont need the extra time to repair and build muscle

As for insomnia Melatonin taken right before bedtime might be some help to you

bronzebeefcake is offline Associate Member
    well there was a study that showed that 60+ percent of all americans suffer from sleep deprevasion syndrome...this must mean that there is a lack of sleep....but every year a new guy does a new study and finds new things ......

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    I say the amount of sleep you need relys on how much work you did while awake. I dont let anyone tell me how many hours i need i let my body tell me. On days i work out i need 7-8 hours days off 6-7 . If i get less i know the next day . This message board doesnt help sleep deprevation in anyway either.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Load of old crap!!

If your body needs it let it rest - simple as that

bronzebeefcake is offline Associate Member
    roger that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information