Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator

Anyone read Bill Cosby's harsh remarks on blacks?

Bill Cosby has more harsh words for black community
    Thursday, July 1, 2004 Posted: 8:25 PM EDT (0025 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them.

He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling 'n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson, founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements.

"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/07/01/cos....ap/index.html

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I know brutha! That **** uncle tom

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    yo bill, i aint mad'atcha!

skinnyhb is offline Member
    on a serious note, i think he is right. but, at the same time, his comments can be directed towards members of every race. if a person is lazy, that person has no one to blame but themselves.

SV-1 is offline Respected Member
    Nigga please.

decadbal is offline Banned
    who ever thought bill cosby could be so angry..lol

righton is offline Senior Member
    Love to see a Fat Albert cartoon on that!

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    im glad cosby has a sack. you will never hear that **** coming from sharpton.

floyd_turbo is offline Member
    i think its all true, about time someone grew some balls

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sin
    im glad cosby has a sack. you will never hear that **** coming from sharpton.

They say it, they just don't put it quite so bluntly as Bill did. There were a lot of black people very angry at Bill for making those comments.

He's still a racist bigot.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    There were a lot of black people very angry at Bill for making those comments.
    thruth hurts..huh

Quote Originally Posted by damiongage
    thruth hurts..huh
    Tru dat!

Fame is offline Junior Member
    why the hell is it harsh? You want people to speak their minds and talk about their feelings..so he does, and its called harsh?? Its how he feels, who gives two sh1ts.....didnt he used to be a comedian?? No one is following around Jim brewer and asking him wtf he thinks about anything....people just want headlines

Black people make those comments all the time, just cause its 'bill f'n cosby' (who is no one), people want to make a big deal of it? sigh.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    its about itme somebody said something...****

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    god dam.. the black community is going to disown poor cosby.. i bet hes half white

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    Bill cosby is by no means a racist biggot........he's just speaking the truth. I mean i'm not racist but i see that shiit everyday. Blacks feel that there is so much racism around the country and yet you here them all calling themselves the N word.....if you can't respect yourself, dont expect others to respect you.

He does bring valid points to the table...it's his delivery that is harsh. A little too aggressive IMHO.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    They say it, they just don't put it quite so bluntly as Bill did. There were a lot of black people very angry at Bill for making those comments.

He's still a racist bigot.
    He is not racist. He's just saying what others are afraid to say. People are mad because it's airing the Black communities dirty laundry.

Justincase is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    He does bring valid points to the table...it's his delivery that is harsh. A little too aggressive IMHO.
    It may be harsh but it seems he is just fed up with all of it!
    sometimes people need a good hard kick in the butt to get on track.......

butterface is offline Banned
    There is a black family that moved into my neighbourhood. All 10 of their 2,000$ cars have 5,000 rims. And they dont mow their lawn for 2 months at a time and chain a pit bull to the front door while they are away at work. Needless to say they got a call to the Home Owners Association from me yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Justincase
    It may be harsh but it seems he is just fed up with all of it!
    sometimes people need a good hard kick in the butt to get on track.......
    There is something called diplomacy though. He could have used a more subtle means.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Bill Cosby = Clayton Bigsby

Quote Originally Posted by butterface
    There is a black family that moved into my neighbourhood. All 10 of their 2,000$ cars have 5,000 rims. And they dont mow their lawn for 2 months at a time and chain a pit bull to the front door while they are away at work. Needless to say they got a call to the Home Owners Association from me yesterday.
    Thanks for sharing. Does this have anything to do with this thread?

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Thanks for sharing. Does this have anything to do with this thread?
    I think it does...what if the pitbull got lose and attacked someone

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    I think it does...what if the pitbull got lose and attacked someone
    I didn't see the relationship between uncut grass and a pittbull to poor grammar and writing skills.

butterface is offline Banned
    Its got to do with moving into a neighbourhood and not making everyone else wish they never bought a house there.

animal-inside is offline Senior Member
    I am in Univeristy and theres black kids attending here who talk like they never passed grade 1. All they do is imatate TV and music.

Bill is right.. and its good to see a black person point those things out.. And hes not racist for saying those things. He dose not hate black people. He hates what they are doing with themselves. All he wants is to have black people realise what they are doing and what they are becomming.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i think he is right, but as some of you have said, he should have directed it towards all races, its not only blacks.

little side note. there is a fund that al sharpton or jesse jackson started called rainbow coalition. it is to help integrate blacks where there arent many. you know NASCAR has paid over $250,000.00 to this fund. and now jesse and al dont say anything, i think they are both out for themselves not the black people. i think chris rock is for the black people.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    It takes guts to stand up for what you beleive in! Bill Cosby has got the guts!

MJ

hey mighty you like superstar billy graham. he was a friggin monster

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Bill may have come across harsh but what he said needed to be said a long time ago!

D

you could have a black kid pump 50 shots into a cop and al sharpton will never blame the black kid. i think he masters in reverse racism. you have to call it both ways al

Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    you could have a black kid pump 50 shots into a cop and al sharpton will never blame the black kid. i think he masters in reverse racism. you have to call it both ways al
    Reverse racism... I wonder who made up the term. I hate when people use that word. Racism is racism and wrong no matter which race it's directed towards. By saying it's reversed it's like saying it's OK when it's directed towards Blacks and somehow reversed and strange when directed towards Whites.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    The world Racism is used entirely to much IMO.

It is such an extreme word and should not be used simply because people have conflicting opinions.

D

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Mr. Cosby could have directed that to all races I agree, but he chose his race because he was trying to reach his community/people. That is not bigotry.

mistasmif is offline Junior Member
    Bill Cosby is right on point!!!

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by animal-inside
    I am in Univeristy and theres black kids attending here who talk like they never passed grade 1. All they do is imatate TV and music.
    OMG, I could go on and on about this. I remember when I was a senior in HS and alot of my friends with low 3 pt gpas and low 20's act scores ( for example a 3.3 with a 23) couldn't get into MSU, which is just an ok school, and i know alot of ppl with these similar scores that didn't get in.

So fast forward a couple years, I hear my roommate from detroit talking on the phone to his friend, and i hear him say, " DAM you didn't even get into EMU!", so i start laughing cause its almost impossible not to get into EMU, then I hear him say " what? you didn't get into wayne either?". I'm laughing hysterically at this point, cause thats basically just sad. So once my roommate got off the phone, I told him thats pretty bad that his friend couldn't get into any of those schools, and he says (very seriously) " Well he got a 14 on his act". I just start cracking up. He says, " hey 16 is like really good in detroit, and he had a 2.5 gpa which is pretty good". And i continue my laughing. Anyways, to sum things up pretty quick, as i'm sure you get the idea by now, he knows ppl from detroit with 2.7 gpas and 16 on their act that got into MSU. He himself had a 3.2 GPA and 18 act, and not only did he get into MSU, he also was accepted to UofM, Ohio State, and a few others. And btw he is getting nearly all of his college paid for him.

That makes me really, really upset, because he and all the others who got in other similar circumstances have the worst work ethics, and could care less that they were even there, like they don't really give a fuk, and i would say the majority do very poorly and the ppl who drop out def come from these type of ppl that shouldn't have a chance in the first place to be there, and the fact that these are the last ppl that earned scholarships and are actually getting them. grrrrr..... Ok, done ranting.

I watching fox news, and this black guy was proclaiming how useless the war on iraq was when we have more black ppl in jail than in college. The host replied, "Well isn't that just personal responsibility?"

I saw some highlights of that cosby speech, my favorite line was " You hear them say nigger this and nigger that, and they can't even spell the dam word".

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Reverse racism... I wonder who made up the term. I hate when people use that word. Racism is racism and wrong no matter which race it's directed towards. By saying it's reversed it's like saying it's OK when it's directed towards Blacks and somehow reversed and strange when directed towards Whites.

I agree with you.. I, also wonder if this was a white man of some stature,commenting on "white america" if anyone would even give a ****.

Not saying Mr. Cosby is right or wrong. Just wondering what would happen,if a white man would have used those words speaking of black youth compared to a black man commenting on white youth.

I seriously am so sick of "racism". Nobody can speak what they feel about anything without it turning into racism. Most people can't even have a conversation about it without labeling another a "racist"....

bubbathegut is offline Member
    yeah yeah, og

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    The world Racism is used entirely to much IMO.

It is such an extreme word and should not be used simply because people have conflicting opinions.

D

Well said bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information