Thread: Pain Meds

Football_Bill is offline Associate Member

Pain Meds

I figure most people here know of good ways to get bigger and in better shape, but I need some help with an injury. For those of you that have helped me in the past, you know my reason for joining this board and learning more about AAS is to play football again. I have attended two arena football tryouts, and have been too small for both, even at 6'3" 290. I haven't used any AAS yet, and I am going to start my second cycle of Clen next week.

Here is my problem. I sprained my shoulder Sunday playing hockey (took a big hit without shoulder pads) and the doctor suggests not working out for a week, maybe two. The pain is still there, but the range of motion is better. BUt, as luck would have it, I have been asked to tryout for a Semi-Pro football team this weekend. Does anyone know of a good pain killer that I might be able to get from my sources that would allow me to make it through the tryout? I am going to rest during the week and just do some cardio. Any help would be much appreciated, I have gotton this far with the drive that I would eventually play football again, i don't want a stupid injury to ruin it. Thanks.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I use a lotion that is similiar to deep heat but it has painkillers in the gel.I cover the area in that and it has a menthol vapour action and smell it kind of gently numbs the area and than the pain killer works this is OTC but in the long run it could cause more damage.Pain is there for a reason

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Keeping it in perspective . . .

Billy Boy's response is quite good - and quite realistic. Recognize that there will be a risk with using any kind of pain medication, whether systemic (pills) or topical (gels or rubs).

Pain is there for a reason - it's trying to tell your body that it needs to recover. At the same time, many of us know what you are going through - the desire to play, and the opportunity to fulfill that desire coming at the most screwed up time possible.

My recommendation, for what it's worth - go with a mild systemic pain reliever, like 600-800 mg. of Iboprofen (Motrin or Advil). The over-the-counter Ibuprofen is 200 mg. per tablet - just take three or four of them. (The prescription strength of Motrin, still available, is 600 or 800 mg., taken up to four times a day.)

As for using anything stronger, I don't advise it. Sure, you can pop any of "the usual suspects" (Vicodin, Percocet, Tylenol #3 or #4, etc.), but these will tend to zonk you out both physically and mentally. They'll dull your reaction time during the try-outs and, more important, they will mask the pain your shoulder is experiencing to the extent that you can both make the injury worse and your recovery time much longer.

Finally, my usual advice: Ask your doctor, and explain the situation to him. If you are able to take something stronger without risking an exacerbation of the injury, he'll be the one to know it. You may be able to take something "in between" the Motrin and the opiates, but it takes a medical professional who has examined you to make that judgment.

In the meantime, kick back and think about everything from a risk-versus-benefit analysis. Yup, some good ol' opiates may mask the pain, but masking the pain could have big-time ramifications. You have to be the one to decide what the "acceptable level" of risk is in this case.

One way or the other, bro, good luck in the try-out.

Football_Bill is offline Associate Member
    Thanks TNT and Billy Boy. For the time being I am using the prescribed meds. I explained the situation to the owner and coach of the team. I decided to tell him as to still show interest, but not hurt myself more and not be able to play at all. Again, thanks for the recomendations.

Thread Information