Terinox is offline The One & Only

How do royalties work?

Could someone (who is in the writing/publishing industry) or knows something about it, please explain how royalties work with publishing companies and writers/authors.

I know it may vary, but generally, for a new comer, and for a novel and or collection of short stories. I hear generally it's 50% of all profits. But can someone shine some more detail to it? Like how the pay works, and under wut circumstances you get it, and how a bit of the math works, etc...

Thanks,
    T.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Could someone (who is in the writing/publishing industry) or knows something about it, please explain how royalties work with publishing companies and writers/authors.

I know it may vary, but generally, for a new comer, and for a novel and or collection of short stories. I hear generally it's 50% of all profits. But can someone shine some more detail to it? Like how the pay works, and under wut circumstances you get it, and how a bit of the math works, etc...

Thanks,
    T.
    I have a friend that's an author and I don't know a whole lot about it, but from what he's told me, don't even think of signing a deal with a publisher without a lawyer/agent. Make sure he/she has a lot of experience in this field. Apprently a lot of rookie writers get signed to contracts that make it impossible for them to earn any money (I mean ANY money - zero) and some also unwittingly sign over the copywrite to the publisher.

Hump ... I mean bump.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Hump ... I mean bump.
    Man, that's messed up. At least you could acknowledge Bad_Man's contribution before you bump the thread for more input.

Just a thought.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Man, that's messed up. At least you could acknowledge Bad_Man's contribution before you bump the thread for more input.

Just a thought.

~SC~
    Well although I do appreciate all replies, his was just general info, that I sorta knew already. I was asking more specifically about royalties and how the math and all that works.

All I did was bump for more replies, to get more info, you usually don't post things like this SC, maybe your having a bad day?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    you usually don't post things like this SC, maybe your having a bad day?
    Nah, I'm having a great day. I just simply said you appeared pretty rude, but that's just my take on it. It appeared as if you, sir, were having a bad day not even explaining to bad_man as you just did to me that you kind of already knew the "general" info presented. You know, just to be cool and say "thanks for trying to help, it's appreciated."

I guess we just have a diff. take on responses and what they include. I'm happy w/my courtesy and beliefs, so it's all good.

Please, carry on!

~SC~

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    Go to a book club or short story board..........It's not like we go over there to ask steroid questions.....

I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Nah, I'm having a great day. I just simply said you appeared pretty rude, but that's just my take on it. It appeared as if you, sir, were having a bad day not even explaining to bad_man as you just did to me that you kind of already knew the "general" info presented. You know, just to be cool and say "thanks for trying to help, it's appreciated."

I guess we just have a diff. take on responses and what they include. I'm happy w/my courtesy and beliefs, so it's all good.

Please, carry on!

~SC~
    I agree, dear member, there is nothing wrong with courtesy at all. I am generally the type of member who waits for a series of responses, and follows them up with a sort of "Thanks for all the info guys..." and then carry on to specific members posts, but that's just me and how I generally like to respond to threads, and not post individual responses (generally). But, like you said, it's all good. I hope I have not offended or hurt bad_man's feelings, if so, I sincerely appologize.

Now, in terms of Mealticket, that is a good idea, and I have browsed sites such as the Canadian Writers Union and several online websites for publishers. An "author" forum is a good place to go, haven't done too much searching for it.

However, this being the LOUNGE, and people posting generally anything and everything about a sheat-load of topics, I thought it would be good to post it here. Being a member on this board for almost THREE years, that's been my basic understanding of the function of the AR LOUNGE. But thank you very much for your advice.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm not offended. I don't expect thank yous anymore. That just makes the ones I do receive that much more meaningful.

Thread Information