364 thats how many!
    52 weeks right
    7 days in a week
    52x7=364
    even with the leap year, thats 364 1/4
    so why are there 365 1/4 days in a year

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    There are 52 1/7 wks in a year

Notice the day Jan 1st every year...its one day after every year (except leap years)

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    yeah, but why? seems weird to me. why put in the extra day? Or why not make up a week that has five instead of 7 days etc.......

BabyGirl01 is offline Female Member
    Yeah that seems right..

BG

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    i wouldnt dwell on it bro, thats the way its been for a very, very, very long time.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    The reason for this is because I wanted it that way! Don't think about it anymore or the men in black will be making a visit to your place...next thing you know everyone will be wondering "Hey! Whatever happened to Prime?" Do you remember Snooper? He was a memeber here.....and asked one to many questions. Let's not let this happen to you Prime.

It's 365 days a year no matter how the math works. Let it go. hahahahahaha
    Last edited by Juggernaut2148; 07-15-2004 at 07:00 AM.

Because it has to do with the rotation of the planets...

We used to have the Calendar of Julius but this lead to there being 11 minutes per day of surplus, now this may not sound much but every 128 years means a full day.
    (Until about the sixties) The russians had their own calendar of this form...

Then came the Gregorian Calendar which is the one still used, it is quite accurate but it doesn't comply with the fact that everyday lasts about
    0,3-3 seconds longer then the previous one...

Now you are probably wondering, what I mean by the accuracy; i mean that we can account for all the things happening on earth; meaning the beginning of summer about always about 20th-22nd June (so we take the standard 21 June) on the northern hemisphere, that it is always night and dark after 12 am (not accounting for the poles etc.).

You can imagine what an economic and social blow it would be (also physical since people can't sleep well under much light and on irregular times) if our calendar was inaccurate with a marge of an hour a day (meaning after 5-6 days you'll sleeppattern will be ****ed up, farmers won't know when the climate will be perfect for their crops every year etc.)

Greets
    Kingofmasters

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    this is something that i think is so weird. how can every 4 years there be an extra day?

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Who cares...

Quote Originally Posted by kingofmasters

We used to have the Calendar of Julius but this lead to there being 11 minutes per day of surplus, now this may not sound much but every 128 years means a full day.

Then came the Gregorian Calendar which is the one still used, it is quite accurate but it doesn't comply with the fact that everyday lasts about

Now you are probably wondering, what I mean by the accuracy; i mean that we can account for all the things happening on earth; meaning the beginning of summer about always about 20th-22nd June (so we take the standard 21 June) on the northern hemisphere, that it is always night and dark after 12 am (not accounting for the poles etc.).

You can imagine what an economic and social blow it would be (also physical since people can't sleep well under much light and on irregular times) if our calendar was inaccurate with a marge of an hour a day (meaning after 5-6 days you'll sleeppattern will be ****ed up, farmers won't know when the climate will be perfect for their crops every year etc.)

Greets
    Kingofmasters
    We'll fnd you Mr. Samrtypants! Aliens aren't then only thing we deal with you know? hahahahahaha

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    i wouldnt dwell on it bro, thats the way its been for a very, very, very long time.
    Beat me to it

It makes sense bro... just... takes some time to fully grasp it...

Quote Originally Posted by majorpecs
    Who cares...
    You guys paying attention to this.........here's a fine example of a good citizen.

Good job Major! I foresee great things happening for you in your future my good Sir!

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Leap year is there every four years to make up for the four 1/4's of a day that are missing every year. It takes four years to make up for it, but hey, it works okay. Daylight savings time makes up for the rest.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofmasters

Greets
    Kingofmasters
    Good info!

Thread Information