Sage is offline Anabolic Member

MCSA certified (need advice)

is MCSA worth $7K certification fee.....i am considering this, but not sure if this and my IT college degree will finally let me roll in to some serious yearly salary....

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    for 7k you should be able to get lots more than just mcsa. typical mcsa cert training usually should cost no more than 1500.00 max. it is a pretty easy cert to get and probably won't help you much in the long run. just my .02

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Buy the books and study yourself........ back in the day of Novel's CNE and when MS MSCE were big deals this is what I did.......... It took me almost 6 months to complete my CNE and I got my MCSE in 4 months.

Is Exam Cram and Trencender still around these things are priceless.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    right now just about everyone has there mcsa blah , blah, blah.
    the computer market is still pretty full right now (well atleast in my neck of the woods) so right out of school with mcse-mcsa there a dime a dozen so dont expect to see serious yearly salary.
    buy the books and study that way and get it or land a job with a company that will pay for the msc* training. Right now the best tool to have in the computer industry is experience... dont for get this is what im seeing in my area... we just hired a kid out of school with his ccna for 30k a year and he was happy to get the job.

slamd097 is offline Banned
    I would go into something worth the time and money...look into IT security....With out guys like us The It DEPT would be shot down in a flame of glory...and security is not something everyone gets into..

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsDeity
    right now just about everyone has there mcsa blah , blah, blah.
    the computer market is still pretty full right now (well atleast in my neck of the woods) so right out of school with mcse-mcsa there a dime a dozen so dont expect to see serious yearly salary.
    buy the books and study that way and get it or land a job with a company that will pay for the msc* training. Right now the best tool to have in the computer industry is experience... dont for get this is what im seeing in my area... we just hired a kid out of school with his ccna for 30k a year and he was happy to get the job.
    this school has an 8 year contract with Luckheed Martin and a few other large corporations. Each student will be enrolled into a paid internship program ranging from 40-80 hours a week guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    Buy the books and study yourself........ back in the day of Novel's CNE and when MS MSCE were big deals this is what I did.......... It took me almost 6 months to complete my CNE and I got my MCSE in 4 months.

Is Exam Cram and Trencender still around these things are priceless.
    I am not like you bro, no way in hell i can do this in a self paste environment and i do not have so much self control to accomplish this like u did. I am used to being in a classroom and the instructor talking to me as if to a two years old trying to make understand what the hell is going on.

I have a second interview with them tomorrow to see if they will let me into the class and make a decision if i should put down so much loop for this school. They are selective in who they choose because of the internship programs in the package deal.

For $6,995 for 6 month includes the following,

1) Win 2000 Network & Operating System Essentials = $1,275

2) Supporting Windows 2000 Proffesional & Server = $2,125

3) Supporting a Network Infrastracture using Windows 2000 = $2,125

4) Implementing and Administering Windows 2000 Directory = $2,125

5) Designing a Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastracture = $1,275

6) Designing Windows 2000 Migration Strategy $895

7) Designing a Windows 2000 Networking Services Infrastracture $1,695

I got my BA in Information Systems & Technology major, but BA were mostly lecture classes and far less technical or hands on assignments compare to BS degree. I did not know which field to choose, and now i'd like to stick with Networking.

Quote Originally Posted by slamd097
    I would go into something worth the time and money...look into IT security....With out guys like us The It DEPT would be shot down in a flame of glory...and security is not something everyone gets into..
    how do you go buy getting into it, is there a certification perogram for it? I just got out of college in May, no way i am going back.

capone_22 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slamd097
    yeah, what's the best way to go about this... I realized this about 3/4 of my way to a Degree in I.T. I took all the courses they offered in IT security. I enjoyed them all and it's something I would like to do for a while. The courses though were pretty basic so in terms of my knowledge, i'm still a newbie! HELP!

I spent lots of money on earning my cne, not worth it. if you don't already work in the field your paper knowledge won't help in the real world. try getting into an outsourcing company and have them place you in temp jobs, they usually do provide training as well.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    im hopin to make bank when i graduate with a wireless soft engineering degree.

somewhatdamaged is offline New Member
    Who ever said security is right, that is the part of IT you need to get into if your looking to stand out. I think one of the electives in the MCSE course is some secuirty courses, but according to microsofts statistics, very few people actually take that one. Most people take the other electives instead. It kills me because I look at most of the jobs out there and an MCSE is just a basic certification everyone wants now. What really kills me is most of the employers probably don't know what it is.

I think about the only way your going to bank right now in this market is to have a ton of experience and do contract work. I honestly think thats the way the markets heading. You'll start of as a contractor and if you work out they'll hire you on full time. If not, your contract will expire and you'll move on to the next one. I'm personally thinking about giving up my full time network admin position to do contract, just becaue of the amount of experience I would get working in different IT enviorments. Plus I get several calls a week for contract positions and almost all of them pay really well. The biggest thing holding me back is having no benifits contracting.

FLEX~Ottawa is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage
    is MCSA worth $7K certification fee.....i am considering this, but not sure if this and my IT college degree will finally let me roll in to some serious yearly salary....

dudw MCSA should bring in some serious Money but why dont u go for MCP it's like 5 certification all in one !!!

Tony Soprano is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLEX~Ottawa
    dudw MCSA should bring in some serious Money but why dont u go for MCP it's like 5 certification all in one !!!

MCP is just passing ONE of the MCSE tests, not all qualify either..

I just got obtained a degree in Info Technology and I've had A+ certification since last year. Both are worthless, I haven't even gotten close to getting a job yet. I'm thinking of giving up hopes of getting a tech job

Thread Information