ScooterBoy is offline Junior Member

Switching college major, again

I first got into the criminal justice program for the first 2 quarters of college. Wanting to be a state patrolman but had a change of heart. Then decided to go into accounting, but after a quarter of accounting classes I discovered there is no way I would want to do that. At the moment I'm thinking about going through the registered nurse program at my college. Its hard to get into and means I will have to go to my community college for 2 more years. But from what I've been reading up on says it is a job that is in high demand and pretty good pay. Any of you have any opinions on going into nursing as a career.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Go into business. I'm an acconting grad and the work was boring at first but now as a manager, it's easy... everyone else does the grunt work...

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScooterBoy
    I first got into the criminal justice program for the first 2 quarters of college. Wanting to be a state patrolman but had a change of heart. Then decided to go into accounting, but after a quarter of accounting classes I discovered there is no way I would want to do that. At the moment I'm thinking about going through the registered nurse program at my college. Its hard to get into and means I will have to go to my community college for 2 more years. But from what I've been reading up on says it is a job that is in high demand and pretty good pay. Any of you have any opinions on going into nursing as a career.

save money go to the CC, come out with a 4.0 take 2 years of RN classes at your school and viola.. but being that your already going into a field of medicine you might want to take some pre-med req's just incase you ever want to advance..

Just the steriotype of a male nurse would turn me away... not that the job is bad nor the money...

Spyder Guest
    Did you ever see the movie, "Meet the Parents" with Ben Stiller who had a career in nursing? That should answer your question. ........j/k bro. whatever makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    Just the steriotype of a male nurse would turn me away... not that the job is bad nor the money...
    You would be suprised how many male RN's and PA's are actually making good money.. at my job out a staff of approx 25 RN/PA, 11 are male.. and some make in the the high 40's

the first thing my friends did when I told them about going into nursing was laugh and say "no really what are you going into". I don't see what the big deal is about being a male nurse. It does sound a little funny, just have to hit the weights more to make me more manly .
    I can get my CNA for free by going through a retirement home. I will get paid $14 an hour working over there while going to college. The big draw back is I will have to have to bath and wipe old people :spudnik4:

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    nothing wrong with being a male nurse bro. i've worked with dozens of them. also, depending on the region, expect to make more than high 40s. mid 60s is pretty typical around here from what i've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sinista63
    nothing wrong with being a male nurse bro. i've worked with dozens of them. also, depending on the region, expect to make more than high 40s. mid 60s is pretty typical around here from what i've heard.

avg salary for a rookie RN in a ny city owned hospital starts at 39k

NoobJuice is offline Member
    Focker heres a nurse <-------meet the parents

Quote Originally Posted by NoobJuice
    Focker heres a nurse <-------meet the parents

did focker get a 38-39 on his mcats?

Don't worry about switching majors.....you learn more about yourself every year. there's no good reason to chain yourself to a path you chose 2 years ago if it's not what you're at least somewhat passionate about. Look around....so many people hate their jobs. Don't be one of them. You'll never know for sure what would be your best fit, but getting a taste of all sorts of various fields is the best way to explore your interest levels. Enjoy undergrad......don't let it pass by and regret the decisions you made......or didn't make.

Like I said the money's ok but the steriotype is rough... I'd stick with business... way higher earnings potential and no jokes...

rambo is offline The Lord God
    I know nurses that make 85-100k a year. But I still couldn't do it. Good luck, though.

i just signed up for my classes online. Got into medical terminology, chem 101, and psych 100. I need to take those and biol 101 before I can apply into the nursing program next school year. I'll just get most of the support courses out of the way this school year. thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    I know nurses that make 85-100k a year. But I still couldn't do it. Good luck, though.

You know you would love to sniff thoes bed pans suga

i just signed up for my classes online. Got into medical terminology, chem 101, and psych 100. I need to take those and biol 101 before I can apply into the nursing program next school year. I'll just get most of the support courses out of the way this school year. thanks for the help guys.

good luck bro.. just keep your options open.. try to graduate with something above a 3.4..

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    try to graduate with something above a 3.4..
    Same to you, slacker.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    The matter, Greg RN is that when you have a septic tank thats nearly full and a leaky toilet, you could have yourself a hell of a problem.

Same to you, slacker.

i have a 3.4 overall and a 3.6 core suga.. im not on top of the food chain, so im praying that i hit something like a 30-33 on the mcats.. but then again that was my freshman year..

i have a 3.4 overall and a 3.6 core suga.. im not on top of the food chain, so im praying that i hit something like a 30-33 on the mcats.. but then again that was my freshman year..
    Hell, you got two more years to bring it up if need be. Chin up, baby doll.

elicotton is offline Associate Member
    An old high school friend of mine got a B.S. in nursing, didn't like the work, but then got a sweet job as a Pharmacutical(sp) sales rep. He says they were all over him because of his nursing background. Since he's been in this field, he's realized what a tremendous opportunity there is in sales to the hospital industry (med equipment, etc.). My point is, just because you major in something doesn't mean you're stuck there if you don't like it, and health care is a good field in general.

Just mho.

Hell, you got two more years to bring it up if need be. Chin up, baby doll.

If not Caribbean’s here I come!@

Thanks again for all this advice. I definitely appreciate the encouragement. It gets frustrating going to college and not knowing what your doing there. At times I would get so stressed out I wouldn't even be able to have a good workout. Now I got a goal that I'm confident about and it feels good

BIP0LAR is offline New Member
    Specialized nurses bank. Anesthesiologist Nurses make like 6 figures.

Thanks again for all this advice. I definitely appreciate the encouragement. It gets frustrating going to college and not knowing what your doing there. At times I would get so stressed out I wouldn't even be able to have a good workout. Now I got a goal that I'm confident about and it feels good

oh yeah.. it would be a REALLY good idea to volunteer at a hospital to observe what you'll be doing in the upcoming years.. It would suck getting there and realizing you hate the job..

BIP0LAR is offline New Member
    My best friends wife is a nursing student and graduates in a year. Right now shes interning at a hospital and has to do all the grunt work. Like change diapers, give sponge baths, insert cathaders and other horrible crap. I feel bad for her but it will all pay off. She has some stories though let me tell you.
    Last edited by BIP0LAR; 07-21-2004 at 01:48 PM.

Bob Balco is offline Banned
    Hey man I was once a physical therapy major and a criminal justice major. I am thinking of nursing as well. All nurses are in high demand, espcially male nurses. You can sign up to be a travel nurse and travel all over with paid housing and good benefits. Good luck in your choice.

My girlfriends mom is a nurse and is the one that is going to set me up with the cna training with the retirement home, I'll talk with her tonight about doing some volunteer work, thanks elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Balco
    Hey man I was once a physical therapy major and a criminal justice major. I am thinking of nursing as well. All nurses are in high demand, espcially male nurses. You can sign up to be a travel nurse and travel all over with paid housing and good benefits. Good luck in your choice.

depending where you live.. here PA's are in greater demand then RN's..

My girlfriends mom is a nurse and is the one that is going to set me up with the cna training with the retirement home, I'll talk with her tonight about doing some volunteer work, thanks elliot

gomer homes are bad bro.. first time i been there it scared the jebus out of me..

gomer homes are bad bro.. first time i been there it scared the jebus out of me..
    Yea Ive heard about them. By going through the home I will get my cna license for free. saves me like $700

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    FBI for a while was only hiring accountants.............

criminal justice, and accounting.. you can go far....... be something/someone...........
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    There is so much you can do with accounting...it is the backbone behind business. You can go into public practice, specialize in tax, audit, mergers and acquisitions, systems, forensic auditing, own your own company. etc.

IMHO CPA accountants are very versatile.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Accounting is a noble profession and one of the most employable skill sets there is. Only thing I would add to your statement is not to stop at CPA or CMA level but to continue on until you obtain a CA designation.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    There is so much you can do with accounting...it is the backbone behind business. You can go into public practice, specialize in tax, audit, mergers and acquisitions, systems, forensic auditing, own your own company. etc.

IMHO CPA accountants are very versatile.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Accounting is a noble profession and one of the most employable skill sets there is. Only thing I would add to your statement is not to stop at CPA or CMA level but to continue on until you obtain a CA designation.
    Yes, when I took Acc'ting in school every prof told me the same thing...

decadbal is offline Banned
    cops are bad..lol

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    Try to get a degree and minor/ or double major that allows you to go into a wide variety of things. That way if you don't like something you can change fields without having to go back to school again.

For example: (At this moment in time) I plan on getting a degree in accounting with minors in Criminology and Spanish and go into law enforcement for a few years, then see if I can get into the FBI. (The FBI likes accouting majors FYI). If I don't like law enforcement, then I can use my accounting major to do something in business. If I don't like any of those, then its back to school and that would suck.....not having to go to school again so much as having to pay for it.
    Last edited by UrbanLegend; 07-22-2004 at 02:23 PM.

If go accounting go back and get your MBA part-time after a few years of work. CPA/MBA with like 6 years of experience and you're set! (:-) that's what i did...)

Thread Information