sooner45 is offline Member

About to graduate! Anyone in Finance/Banking/Sales??

Hey Bro's!! Well I'm at a crossroads in my life right now. I will graduate in less than 2 weeks with my Bachelors in Finance!! Woohoo!!! Ok, so now what??? I am thinking about moving to Dallas and getting a job, but I'm just not sure what I want to do yet???? I will basically have a 4 year degree in Business Finance and about 3 years sales experience. I consider myself a people person. Honestly I just want to look for the best job where I can make the most money, but hell, what college kid doesnt coming out of college, huh??? I know the job market as a whole is not that great right now, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high, bt I do still have options. If anyone is in any of these fields can you post/email/pm me your advice???

option #1)
    My brother currently is an account rep(sales) at SBC in Dallas,TX and HE is making anywhere from $70,000-$110,000. I dnt know EXACTLY cause he has never out-right told me, but I know that is ball-park. He has also been in the communications business for about 5-6 years though. He says he can help get me hired on there but I would have to start out at a lower sales position but I would still start off with a base of $30,000 and he says I could still make about $50,000 with commission added in if I bust my ass. I woudl totally be stoked at making $40,000-$50,000 out of college!!

option #2)
    I have also thought about getting into pharmaceutical sales. I dont know a WHOLE LOT about the business but I know they are good sales positions with good $, benefits, etc. And there are a lot of pharmaceutical sales co's in Dallas. I think I would be good at it because I have been in Sales and I like talking/dealing/negotiating with people.

option #3)
    I've also thought about maybe getting into the banking business, since Finance is my major. One of my Finance professors was a VP of a Bank for a long while and said that if you get into Banking that you need to go into the lending side, so I was thinking of maybe a loan officer or something? Hell I dont know??

Well i know this is long and if you stuck it out this far I really appreciate. I'm just at a crossroads in my life and dont know what to do? Its kind of scary to be honest cause you are about to start a new chapter in your life and dont know what to do??? Anyway, I would REALLY appreciate ANY advice or direction you guys could offer! Thanks guys!!
    Last edited by sooner45; 07-23-2004 at 10:50 PM.

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Hey man,

I'm kinda in the same position as you right now. I'm 2 years away from my degree in Business Admin w/specialization in financial planning. I'm really into working in the financial services industry. I'll be finsihing my basic securities course in a month which will enable me to sell mutual funds, but I wanna keep learning. Once I finish my degree I'm thinking of:

-working in sales at Sun Life (100% commission)
    -gettting my CFP and then trying to get a job at a planning firm
    -working at a investment house at some bitch job... maybe even pursuing CFA charter

Hit me up if you wanna chat

sooner45 is offline Member
    Sounds good RP7!! Keep it up! Bump for any info????

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Mortgage brokers (loan officers) make a ton of money right now!

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Sooner45,

I was in your shoes 2 months when I graduated college. Unless you know exactly what you want to do (most people don't until they try it out), then don't get caught up putting pressure on yourself choosing a career job right of school. Go on as many interviews with as many different companies as you can and let the cards fall as they may. I don't think your going to know what you like until you try it for yourself. Consider as many companies as possible to work for and go with the one you think can offer you the most in terms of experience and salary. Good Luck.

doctorcc is offline Junior Member
    Do you want to do something with your degree, or just something related to your degree? Currently mortgage brokers are making a ton of money here in Vegas, but the REAL MONEY is in the car business! You wont be using your degree, but the average finance manager in a large city makes close to $150K a year. The finance manager, for those of you who don't know, is the guy that does your contractual agreements and tries to sell you overpriced warranties after you work a car deal. I was the youngest F&I manager in Idaho (at age 19) and honestly was making $65K at my age! I was the only person that owned a Jag in the little town of Moscow, ID =) That, my friend, is a great paying job!
    A few downsides- one works very long hours in the car business, high stress job, and very competitive! If you can handle these things, you'll be driving a new SL500 in no time.

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Depends on wether you want to stay in an office all day or not. I sit behind a desk all day. I was in outside sales for Cingular formerly Bell South Mobility before things got to competitive. Sales are up and down...that is the only downside to outside sales.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    College is a waste of time IMO if its all about the money. I made 60k my first year selling cars. I know guys that make 200k a year selling cars. I don't see how you can teach people how to sell, it's a gift. I'll sell ice in the winter, I'll sell fire in hell, I am a hustler baby, I'll sell water to a well.

jbigdog69 is offline Banned

Yea but...

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    College is a waste of time IMO if its all about the money. I made 60k my first year selling cars. I know guys that make 200k a year selling cars. I don't see how you can teach people how to sell, it's a gift. I'll sell ice in the winter, I'll sell fire in hell, I am a hustler baby, I'll sell water to a well.
    The money is in the finance and managerial positions at dealerships. Plus, it is terrible hours. I like my weekends.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    The money is in the finance and managerial positions at dealerships. Plus, it is terrible hours. I like my weekends.
    I been doing it for 4 years, if you live off of repeat/referral business, you make more than your managers. The only way managers would make more than the 150k+ guys is if they have 3 or 4 of them on the floor.

You are right about the hours, thats why I got out of it. I was working 12 hour days 6 days a week, living off of vending machine food and Newports. I'm sitting back on savings right now, until I come up with a better idea.

Thread Information