Isaiah1SAS is offline Associate Member

Bruce Lee, Herschel Walker, Great Gama

Combat Conditioning

http://www.mattfurey.com/newsmaxgif.html

The Total Skeptic Is Converted

I was the total skeptic. Not only had I lifted weights for years, but after 21 years in the martial arts, I thought I'd seen it all. So I just didn't believe Matt Furey when he said you can get kick-butt fit with bodyweight calisthenics. I could bench 400 and squat 625. So there's no way that I was going to fall for something so "simple."

But I couldn't shake this feeling that Furey might be right. I had read about the Great Gama of India, a wrestler who followed this program and was unbeaten in 5,000 matches. In terms of size and strength, he was amazing. He was 5'7" and 260 pounds of streaming steel. And that was in the early 1900's - long before steroids .

I had heard that Bruce Lee did the exercises Furey teaches, too. And we all know about Lee's incredible ripped, lean, muscular look. Not to mention how lightning fast and fluid he was.

I had heard that Herschel Walker, a Heisman Trophy winner and All-Pro Running back did 500 pushups and situps each day. So that made me think even more.

1. I burned fat and blow-torched off my excess body weight so quickly that I could eat more than I normally did and still look better than ever.

2. I packed and chiseled functional muscle onto my legs, chest and back that I've never had before, even from weights.

3. I simultaneously doubled my strength and flexibility - and did so without needing separate workouts for each.

4. I quadrupled my endurance inside of 30 days. Just think how much this helped my sparring. No matter what, I NEVER get tired..

5. The chronic back and shoulder pain I had from years of heavy squats, deadlifts and bench pressing went away within a couple weeks. And much of that pain had been with me for nearly 10 years. It's GONE now.

6. I sleep like a log. Eight hours of deep sleep is no longer a goal. It's automatic. As soon as I hit the rack I'm out like a light.

7. My self-confidence knows no bounds. Especially when I got compliments from people who hardly paid attention to me before. I honestly believe there is nothing I cannot do. I'm on top of the world.

8. I can train anywhere. I don't need more than a few square feet of carpet or pavement and I'm all set. I have absolutely no excuses and my body is loving me for it. I don't need any equipment. Just my own bodyweight.

9. I get a kick-butt workout done in 15 minutes or less. Sure, I could do more - but I've gotten incredible results with this amount - so why ruin a good thing?

10. I've turned back the clock. My friends tell me I look 5-10 years younger. Awesome!!

11. I have an explosive type of strength that weights couldn't give me. My movements are super fast even when I'm just screwing around.

12. My muscles are like a pliable and powerful tiger - ready to pounce on prey in a heartbeat.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    IMO Furey advocates some excellent training principles into his 'Royal Court' or whatever he calls it but they are nothing new, just repackaged and redistributed same ol, same ol.

I do like Furey's stance that most bodybuilders and powerlifters train in a relatively nonfucntional manner. Personally, I think people are better suited to train a periodization scheme rather than doing a set of exercises indefintely. Using routines more similar to what any other high level athlete would use and incorporating sport specific moves into it is a much more prudent course of action. Other coaches like Poliquin, King, Tsatsouline, Staley, Chek, etc have much better, and more in depth, ideas than Furey does. To sum up, Furey's ideas are ok but one dimensional, tho I give him a two thumbs up for advocating back bridges.

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    im' to skeptical about anything that i have to order and pay for.........i think i'll stick to what i've been doing

Age and injury and re-injury

He does have some good examples AND it means flexibility and may be the only option for SOME body parts of injured weight lifters especially older Baby Boomers. These folks do it :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bruce Lee, Herschel Walker, Great Gama-r.jpg   Bruce Lee, Herschel Walker, Great Gama-f.jpg   Bruce Lee, Herschel Walker, Great Gama-m.jpg   Bruce Lee, Herschel Walker, Great Gama-c.jpg  

LM1332 Guest
    well the guy on the left looks like a dried out sponge, the female doesnt look any different then most of the girls that ive seen the guy in the 3rd looks usual not anything special either the guy in the 4th though picture didnt work

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    im going to give this a try

I think the guy in the first thumbnail is doing pretty good for his 60's.

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    lol, you gotta pay for this. what the hell. how about someone copy all the web pages or text documents lol

decadbal is offline Banned
    im sure you can find a equal or better program on line for free

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Im pretty sure you don't get fukking huge from doing bodyweight exercises unless you weigh 600 pounds... then youre already fukking huge

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Im pretty sure you don't get fukking huge from doing bodyweight exercises unless you weigh 600 pounds... then youre already fukking huge
    true, but look at gymnasts, they are pretty large. Sure not the same size as a bodybuilder, buy still very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    true, but look at gymnasts, they are pretty large. Sure not the same size as a bodybuilder, buy still very impressive.
    I heard that, they are flexible and fast too.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    most gymnists are like 5ft and 160... so yea they look big...but arnt

jax larue is offline New Member
    Wel as to bruce lee don't for get he did workout on weights as well.
    plus bodywehight exercises do not build the kind of strength that Furey is saying they do.that kinda sterngth comes from heavy lifting.
    heres al ink to george Hackenschmidts book the way to live.
    http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit.../wtl-intro.htm

you can also find other links on the website to other books(yes you can read then there on line for nothing)from 1900 to the 1950's on how the old timers built strong muscles and functional strength.
    And as to Gama of India doing only bodyweight exercises thats plan out bull,he's counting on peoples lack of Knowlgedge of the Indian version of Physical Culture.
    heres alink on BODYBUILDING & MUSCLE CONTROL IN INDIA from the Online Museum of Physical culture.
    The Encyclopedia of Indian Physical Culture that shows some of the methods still used by indian wrestlers.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/India/india.htm

MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member
    Again?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jax larue
    Wel as to bruce lee don't for get he did workout on weights as well.
    plus bodywehight exercises do not build the kind of strength that Furey is saying they do.that kinda sterngth comes from heavy lifting.
    heres al ink to george Hackenschmidts book the way to live.
    http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit.../wtl-intro.htm

you can also find other links on the website to other books(yes you can read then there on line for nothing)from 1900 to the 1950's on how the old timers built strong muscles and functional strength.
    And as to Gama of India doing only bodyweight exercises thats plan out bull,he's counting on peoples lack of Knowlgedge of the Indian version of Physical Culture.
    heres alink on BODYBUILDING & MUSCLE CONTROL IN INDIA from the Online Museum of Physical culture.
    The Encyclopedia of Indian Physical Culture that shows some of the methods still used by indian wrestlers.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/India/india.htm
    thats the 3rd one I've seen. Do you realize a lot of these people aren't even here anymore??

jax larue is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    thats the 3rd one I've seen. Do you realize a lot of these people aren't even here anymore??
    yeh but that doen't make up for the fact that
    1)they where on the right track
    2)most peopletoday when it comestolifting weighst is so far off base it's scary,and
    3)that when it came to the Indian wrestlersthey did lift stone weights therefore,matt furey is not telling the whole truth when he says gamma did only bodweight exercises.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jax larue
    yeh but that doen't make up for the fact that
    1)they where on the right track
    2)most peopletoday when it comestolifting weighst is so far off base it's scary,and
    3)that when it came to the Indian wrestlersthey did lift stone weights therefore,matt furey is not telling the whole truth when he says gamma did only bodweight exercises.
    you may be right, but why not make your own thread about it so people will respond?

Thread Information