Thread: ADT Security

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member

ADT Security

Just wondering. I guess I'm doing an informal survey actually. I had an ADT security system years ago and it was horrible. Had all kinds of problems with false alarms. Everyone that I've spoken to, with the exception of 1, has also had problems with ADT alarm's giving false alarms.

Just wondering if any of the folks on here have or have had an ADT alarms system and what was there experience?

RATM is offline Senior Member
    i had them and they sucked. false alarms, some of my motion detectors not wired correctly. I now have guardian here in palm beach county and have had no problems.

decadbal is offline Banned
    crap....

KeyMastur is offline VET
    i think we have it back home. only problem is when a bad storm comes through it'll mess things up. most due to probable lightning strikes

twosocks40 is offline Member
    No problems with mine. My parents used to have them though and they had to have it taken out because the fire department was sent to the house like 4 times.

-B

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    We have it at work and even the phucking air conditioner sets off the motion detector and i have to get up and go to the store at all hours of the night.........they suck!

Sofar only one person with no problem. I don't know why you would get them if your parents had false alarms, but hey. It's usually just a matter of time with those systems though. I think it's because they never ground the control panel that causes most of the problems.

The problem at the store with the AC is just that they have the PIR looking at the AC and any putz in the alarm industry knows you don't do that.

Thanks for the responses though.

Nobody else have any opinion on ADT?

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    ADT SUCKS.......I used to be in the business......get a DSC, they are awesome

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Screw home survalence systems. Just get a sign and put it in your yard that says you have it. Or better yet, a Remington 870 express magnum and some 00 buckshot.

Never heard of DSC.

That Remington don't work if you ain't there, or if you're sleep.

DSC is not an alarm Co, but rather a brand of alarm. Find a Co that will install a hardwired DSC alarm.....no wireless sensors would be best. If you have a lot of questions, drop me a pm and I will shoot you my phone #. I was in the security business for apx 5 yrs.

NoobJuice is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    Just wondering. I guess I'm doing an informal survey actually. I had an ADT security system years ago and it was horrible. Had all kinds of problems with false alarms. Everyone that I've spoken to, with the exception of 1, has also had problems with ADT alarm's giving false alarms.

Just wondering if any of the folks on here have or have had an ADT alarms system and what was there experience?
    AHHHHHHH how odd you would mention this when I just got off of the phone with those bastards.
    I got suckerd into a contract in the first place. The lady told me I could cancell at any time and I signed up for three years. Well the false alarms were costing me 25$ to have the police come and check it out. And my dogs ears are pretty sensitive so I just don't use the thing anymore. Even though the lady who sold me the system verbally told me that I could cancell at any time, it's not true I am locked in untill June of 2005. At 32$/month. Im not even using the system so I am basically paying for a box that sits on my wall. And some sensors that don't sense. Its fukn rediculous and I am going to the fukn supreme court :0

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    no probs with ADT here

Quote Originally Posted by NoobJuice
    AHHHHHHH how odd you would mention this when I just got off of the phone with those bastards.
    I got suckerd into a contract in the first place. The lady told me I could cancell at any time and I signed up for three years. Well the false alarms were costing me 25$ to have the police come and check it out. And my dogs ears are pretty sensitive so I just don't use the thing anymore. Even though the lady who sold me the system verbally told me that I could cancell at any time, it's not true I am locked in untill June of 2005. At 32$/month. Im not even using the system so I am basically paying for a box that sits on my wall. And some sensors that don't sense. Its fukn rediculous and I am going to the fukn supreme court :0

Sounds a lot like my old situation. I had the ADT system and I got the protection plan when I got the system. Got a false alarm and thought it was maybe the cat. Got another false alarm and fugured, yep, it's the cat. Had them go out there and they changed the lense on the PIR and did a whole trouble shooting thing. Guy left and I had another false alarm. Police were called like three times and then I disconnected it from the phone line. Then it got the point I could be watching TV and the alarm would just go off. They refused to send someone out to look at the system, even though I had to protection plan. I had to pull the plug and disconnect the battery and they still wanted me to pay the bill every month. They threatenend to sue me over it. I wrote a nasty letter to them and they never contacted me again. I still have the system in a box someplace. At one time I worded it the same way you did, paying for a box to sit on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    no probs with ADT here
    How long have you had it?

Quote Originally Posted by damiongage
    DSC is not an alarm Co, but rather a brand of alarm. Find a Co that will install a hardwired DSC alarm.....no wireless sensors would be best. If you have a lot of questions, drop me a pm and I will shoot you my phone #. I was in the security business for apx 5 yrs.

I've never heard of that panel either.

Wireless sensors have come a long way. You used to be able to get a false alarm from a stray radio singal hitting just the right frequency, but now the wireless device sends a code to the panel to identify itself, and then it sends the code for the alarm signal. So now a false alarm from a stray signal is just about impossible, even if you have several wireless alarm systems in the same building.

I really appreciate that offer, it is very nice of you. There really isn't much that I don't know about security or alarm systems. I own an alarm company. I was just talking to someone recently and it has been a subject that has come up time and time again, so I figured I'd see what people's opinions were here.

Thanks again.

I have an ADEMCO 20 panel. I wired it myself of course. Very simple alarm for someone in my possition, but I don't need much. I'm thinking about getting an FM two way radio backup for it. I have the regular keypad for it, but I can get a vocal keypad if I want.

Almost forgot the most improtant thing.......I've never had a false alarm! Stupid ADT. I guess I owe them actually. I really wanted an alarm after dealing with them. I just went to Radio Shack and read up on stuff and I got an alarm panel from them and the sensors and PIR's and wire and built my first alarm system. Then I was looking for a business to get into in my spare time and I figured, hey I know how to install an alarm. I went to school, got my license and here I am. thanks to Stupid ADT.

You have never heard of DSC??? What type of 20 do you have?? it is probally a
    vista 20p. I have installed both ademco and dsc. After I learned DSC I went home and took that ademco piece of crap out and put in a DSC. The programing is way easier, never any false alarms, and alot more user options.

oh yeh and about half the cost of Ademco.......

Yeah, the 20P. It does have a lot of stuff in the program menu and if you go through all of them, it is a bit much. When you know what default settings can stay the same, it's not too bad. The only problem with the 20 is the addressable keypads and the fact that the keypad never comes out of the box with the right address it seems. The 20 has more than enough options for the average person. That panel is really meant for small business use really. So far i haven't had any problem with it. The only thing I kind of dislike about it is the fact that the case is way bigger than it really needs to be.

I just did a search on the internet and say some pictures of the DSC. I figured maybe I would recognize it by sight, but nope. Nothing. I saw the prices and they seem to be about the same as what I pay for the ADEMCO stuff. Though I know I'm not paying the least that I could when it comes to panels. I'm shifting the company's focus over to telephone wiring anyway and I only by alarm equipment on closeout and on special.

If you ever got your hands on a DSC 832 you would never want to touch an Ademco again.......I gaurentee it

I may look at one just to see. When it comes to familiarity and the idea of re-training people, those are two strong motivators to not change. I'd have to be able to save major money for each panel in order to consider changing and it would have to be just as easy to install and just as easy for the user to understand.

I may look at one just to see. When it comes to familiarity and the idea of re-training people, those are two strong motivators to not change. I'd have to be able to save major money for each panel in order to consider changing and it would have to be just as easy to install and just as easy for the user to understand.
    price would be less.... $110 gets you a panel, can, siren, 1pir, 1 keypad, back up battery. You can program from any keypad (do not need a lcd keypad). You do not need to use resisters(you can if you wish). Has a seperate fire zone(no need to use zone 1). Each keypad has an extra zone(less cost for zone expanders). And the list goes on

And as far as customer ease of use.......No need to enter a code than hit off to dis arm.....alarm disarms after code is entered. Keypads have stay, away, and panics like the Ademco.

The quick search I did turned it up for like $140. I get the 20P PACK for like $120 and the 10P PACK for less than $100. I've never had to use a zone expander, even though I have it in stock. I just double up windows, like all of the 2nd floor windows on zone 3, all of the 1st fl windows on zone 2. I like the idea that the ADEMCO doesn't let you get away with not using a resister. The resistor is there for a reason and if a person installs a zone without that resistor, the zone is unable to tell if there is a trouble, only alarm and ready. I had a customer try to change a contact and didn't know about the sensor and he had to call for service because the zone was showing trouble and wouldn't arm.

It is sometimes confusing for a person to remember to put the code and then press off or away or stay. I like to stick instructions to the keypad door just in case.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    How long have you had it?

8yrs. guess im one of the lucky ones lol

That's a good amount of time. I guess you are one of the lucky ones. As you can see here, most people tend to think they suck.

NoobJuice is offline Member
    Sounds a lot like my old situation. I had the ADT system and I got the protection plan when I got the system. Got a false alarm and thought it was maybe the cat. Got another false alarm and fugured, yep, it's the cat. Had them go out there and they changed the lense on the PIR and did a whole trouble shooting thing. Guy left and I had another false alarm. Police were called like three times and then I disconnected it from the phone line. Then it got the point I could be watching TV and the alarm would just go off. They refused to send someone out to look at the system, even though I had to protection plan. I had to pull the plug and disconnect the battery and they still wanted me to pay the bill every month. They threatenend to sue me over it. I wrote a nasty letter to them and they never contacted me again. I still have the system in a box someplace. At one time I worded it the same way you did, paying for a box to sit on the wall.

So what did the letter say that got you out of the contract???
    This would be very helpful. Im sick of this $hit

Quote Originally Posted by NoobJuice
    So what did the letter say that got you out of the contract???
    This would be very helpful. Im sick of this $hit

I spelled out the series of events. I wrote in the letter when I got the system, when I had each false alarm, when the tech went to check the alram, when I disconnected the system from the phone line and when I completely disconnected the system. I told them they could come and get the system if they wanted. They had threatened to sue me because I had stopped paying the bill and I told them to go ahead and sue me if they wanted because I know no court would find me liable and I told them that I should be sueing them for failing to keep my system operational as my protection plan contract stated. That letter was actually sent directly to there lawyer and I never heard anything from them after that. They didn't put anything on my credit report either.

Thread Information