Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

God I love irish justice!!!!

We regularely have cases like that here in Canada where youth offenders get off with a few months in juvy-detention or probation. A real slap on the wrist. No wonder our youth offenders laugh at the cops.

We even had a case a few years ago where 3 teens robbed, raped (the wife) and viciously murdered an anglican priest and his wife with a baseball bat and a broken bottle and all they got was a bit of time in juvy detention.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0730/clare.html

Youths sentenced following Co Clare rape

30 July 2004 22:19

Four teenage boys, who gang raped a woman after locking her boyfriend in the boot of his car, have been given sentences ranging from four to ten years.

The boys carried out the attack after coming upon the couple in Cratloe in Co Clare last January.

Thomas O'Neill, 16, from Lenihan Avenue was detained for ten years. Dean Barry from Garryglass, Ballinacurra Weston, was sentenced to nine years and Darragh Ryan, aged 16 and also from Lenihan Avenue, was detained for eight years.

The fourth teenager, Jason Ring, who is 15 and from Crecora Avenue in Ballinacurra, was detained for four years.

The 16-year-olds will serve their detention in St Patrick's Institution while Ring will be detained at Trinity House.

While imposing the sentences, Mr Justice Paul Carney said that the case was so serious and so unique that he would not be taking sole personal responsibility for how it is dealt with.

He granted leave to appeal, which will enable three judges of the Court of Criminal Appeal to have an input into the case at a later date.

Canada could learn a thing or two on the treatment of youth offenders from Ireland...

Red

LM1332 Guest
    well if you do it once youll do it again. TO make sure its fixed lock those bastards ups with chain gangs inforced

RATM is offline Senior Member
    bouncer where are you????????

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Shame the death penalty is out huh?

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSlamma
    Shame the death penalty is out huh?
    Wish we had it over here.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    The thing id most guys on this board (my02) wouldn't have that for justice. If someone did that to my family God have Mercy on my Soul, I would find a way to slaughter them.

skinjob is offline Associate Member
    mercy does not apply. they deserve the wrath of the families.

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    I think they should have gotten a much harsher penalty. Hopefully a little 'prison justice' will prevail.....I heard that sex offenders are much more likely to be raped in prison.

twosocks40 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    I think they should have gotten a much harsher penalty. Hopefully a little 'prison justice' will prevail.....I heard that sex offenders are much more likely to be raped in prison.

We should ask lozgod. I think he was in the big house.
    These types of crimes make me sick.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    I think they should have gotten a much harsher penalty.
    I agree, but 10 years for a juvenile offender is completely unheard of here in Canada...

In this country you can literally get away with murder if you're under 18. You get months, not years in detention. Thats why those Irish 4-10 years sentences impress me a lot.

Red

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I agree, but 10 years for a juvenile offender is completely unheard of here in Canada...

In this country you can literally get away with murder if you're under 18. You get months, not years in detention. Thats why those Irish 4-10 years sentences impress me a lot.

Red
    AGREED! My buddies got away with so much as a kid, so did everyone... it's really ridiculous here...

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member

Red
    the justice system is wacked here. even if you're over 18 its normal to get under 10 for murder.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    the justice system is wacked here. even if you're over 18 its normal to get under 10 for murder.
    Definitely the exception to get more than 25 years for ANYTHING...

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Definitely the exception to get more than 25 years for ANYTHING...
    yeah I think you have to be a serial killer to get over that.

even that fat dude (wtf was his name?) that got out recently was a serial rapist and I thought I heard him and his wife killed someone too. well he got out before they found a reason to put him back in and his wife is out soon. how the fuk does that happen? I dont think he was in jail for more than 4 years.

All I have to say PD is Paul Fukn Bernardo! Nuf said, that fukr should have been killed.

All I have to say PD is Paul Fukn Bernardo! Nuf said, that fukr should have been killed.
    yeah yeah thats the guy. I couldnt remember his name. he's a lowlife peice of sh!it

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    that sucks, poor girl, poor guy, they're whole lives will change forever

those guys should be at the mercy of the population, society in this case is protecting them through prison - i guess everyone has their rights

good job on ireland for long sentences, and your right, sex offenders get much less respect in prisons by there fellow cons

skinjob is offline Associate Member
    aye nonses get the protected wing - the fckin screws love them and they get all the cushti suites. respectable crims never lower themselves to speak to slags and nonses except when having a go. any opportunity to mash a protected wing fck and you bet your bottom dollar it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by skinjob
    aye nonses get the protected wing - the fckin screws love them and they get all the cushti suites. respectable crims never lower themselves to speak to slags and nonses except when having a go. any opportunity to mash a protected wing fck and you bet your bottom dollar it will happen.
    we speak english only on this board jk!

yeah yeah thats the guy. I couldnt remember his name. he's a lowlife peice of sh!it
    Dude, I think he's in a Kingston prison.. can you confirm this?
    What a POS...utter waste of air....
    I would rather slaughter him, and use his parts to give life to people who deserve life...
    Sorry for my rant...

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    "But still homey keep it real, how does it feel
    to lose your life, over somethin that you did as a kid?
    You all alone, no communication,
    block on the phone
    Don't get along with yo' pop, and plus your moms is gone
    Where did we go wrong?"

-Tupac

I think its very wrong that these kids were prosecuted and had to go through that terrible trial by the DA and the judge actually had the mind to give them those sentences. They're just kids, they don't know what they're doing. Its probably the parents' fault or the teachers for not doing a very good job of educating them, you are a product of your enviroment, right?

This is a sad day for the youth of Ireland,

-sab
    Last edited by saboudian; 08-01-2004 at 12:52 AM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Now, c'mon, tell me you didn't believe that Bullsh!t, LOL.

Just yankin your chain Red. Good sentences for the kids, shouldn't be quite as strong as adults but strong enough to cause change hopefully, to them, and other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian

Just yankin your chain Red. Good sentences for the kids, shouldn't be quite as strong as adults but strong enough to cause change hopefully, to them, and other kids.
    I was about to get into a debate with you there

Dude, I think he's in a Kingston prison.. can you confirm this?
    What a POS...utter waste of air....
    I would rather slaughter him, and use his parts to give life to people who deserve life...
    Sorry for my rant...
    I cant find **** on this guy. He was all over the news like a month ago when he was released. All I can find is stuff on his lawyer and **** from 2002

I cant find **** on this guy. He was all over the news like a month ago when he was released. All I can find is stuff on his lawyer and **** from 2002
    I can't sfind shyt either.. maybe Red knows...
    That slut Karla Homolka will get out in 2005 though...
    What's truly sickening is that Karla Homolka's IQ is in the top 2 per cent of intelligent beings in the universe. (seriously, used in trial)...PROOF

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian

If they do an adults crime let them do adults time. They stood trial in an adults court so they were liable for life sentences but never got them. Time for rape here in Ireland is life. Sounds great doesn't it?, except that most lifer's here won't do more than 5-10 yrs. A 10 yr sentence here in Ireland probably means 3 1/2 yrs at most! serious the justice system here is a joke.

Another case in the media here at the moment involves a father who beat up his three children (ages from 2-10). After first beating the 10yr old boy with his leather belt (naked) the father cut a lenght of electrical flex from the kids bedside lamp and whipped the poor child with it. The he went after the other two children, finished with them, went back to the 10 yr old (who was hiding under the bed at this stage) flipped the bed over and continued the beating. I'll try find a link to the story, the ba$tard got only 7 yrs in prison. He had 20 privious convictions, including assault and one for man slaughter, and just just 7 fvcking yrs. makes my blood boil.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Time for rape here in Ireland is life. Sounds great doesn't it?, except that most lifer's here won't do more than 5-10 yrs. A 10 yr sentence here in Ireland probably means 3 1/2 yrs at most! serious the justice system here is a joke.
    Sounds like Canada bro... fuggin sad to be honest...
    I think alot of countries are like this though, don't you agree?
    I feel this is one area that our world has not pregressed in...
    I still believe in an-eye-for-an-eye.....

Justoid is offline Associate Member
    That **** really makes me angry bouncer. Guess the guy thinks he is some kind of tough guy beating on three kids- id like to see him try any of that **** on someone his on age. He is just a coward. Rapists, child molesters, paedophiles and child abusers should all get the death penalty imo. That would soon sort them out

If they do an adults crime let them do adults time. They stood trial in an adults court so they were liable for life sentences but never got them. Time for rape here in Ireland is life. Sounds great doesn't it?, except that most lifer's here won't do more than 5-10 yrs. A 10 yr sentence here in Ireland probably means 3 1/2 yrs at most! serious the justice system here is a joke.
    Yeah it's the same here... you're always out after 1/3 of your sentence... what a joke.

But for minors to get 10 years here is completely unheard of... as I said here they usually get a slap on the wrist few months at a glorified sleepaway camp... in Canada, minors DO get away with murder.

Red

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Tho I agree with you guys in that criminal incarcerations are not lengthy enough and convincts currently serving time have way to many rights, IMO your reasoning is somewhat flawed.

This is a commonly stated twist on words which is often propogated by persons with little understanding of the legal system in Canada. That's simply not how it works.

Yeah it's the same here... you're always out after 1/3 of your sentence... what a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    This is a commonly stated twist on words which is often propogated by persons with little understanding of the legal system in Canada. That's simply not how it works.
    My ex is a prison nurse... I've learned more about the prison system works in the province than anyone would want to know...

Red

AnabolicAlien Guest

hehe...

my uncle is the most hated man in county cavan in ireland... he's the chief of police there.

A.A.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Tho I agree with you guys in that criminal incarcerations are not lengthy enough and convincts currently serving time have way to many rights, IMO your reasoning is somewhat flawed.

COMPLETELY AGREE

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicAlien
    my uncle is the most hated man in county cavan in ireland... he's the chief of police there.

A.A.
    Whats a ''chief of police''

Never heard of one of those here.

So then tell us why tax payers, regardless where we live, should see teens who committe adult crimes (rape, murder, armed robbery etc) walk away from adult sentences please.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I mean the legal system not corrections.

My ex is a prison nurse... I've learned more about the prison system works in the province than anyone would want to know...

Red
    I said that I agree with you guys in principle but I think you are falling prey to the 'he got a life sentence (25 years) and only spent 8 years in jail' agrument. I am unsure how it works in IRE but in Canada a sentence consists of 3 stages, each approximately 1/3 of the total sentence:

1.) Incarceration -- spent behind bars.
    2.) Integration into society -- think halfway house or similar arrangement.
    3.) Full integration into society -- probationary period, under supervison of a social worker and/or probation officer.

I'm not saying criminals should spend less time in jail, I'm saying that IMO the entire sentence should be significntly longer.

So then tell us why tax payers, regardless where we live, should see teens who committe adult crimes (rape, murder, armed robbery etc) walk away from adult sentences please.

Aboot is offline Banned
    I mean the legal system not corrections.

I said that I agree with you guys in principle but I think you are falling prey to the 'he got a life sentence (25 years) and only spent 8 years in jail' agrument. I am unsure how it works in IRE but in Canada a sentence consists of 3 stages, each approximately 1/3 of the total sentence:

3.) Full integration into society -- probationary period, under supervison of a social worker and/or probation officer.

I'm not saying criminals should spend less time in jail, I'm saying that IMO the entire sentence should be significntly longer.
    This is true. The statutory release date, that is how people "get out" after serving a third of their sentence, is something the public does not understand. If one would believe the media, it seems like a judge orders someone to a 6 year sentence, but then the Corrections system lets him out in 2 even thought the judge wanted him to serve the full six. Untrue. The judge knows that the prisoner will be ELIGIBLE for parole after a third of his sentence then is on strict supervision. The thinking behind this is that the public would rather have a criminal supervised once he is released, rather than simply booted out the door with no one watching what they are doing. But there are innumerable examples of how prisoners can be kept longer than 1/3 of their sentence and Corrections is not scared to impose them at any time (whether they have the right to or not).

Yes, I have worked in the belly of the Correctional beast.

decadbal is offline Banned
    just castrate the little POS....works for me...

For time spent in the federal pen system maybe... but here the provincial jail system dumps you right on the street with spotty supervision from your parole officer after 1/3 to 1/2 of your time.

And you forgot one small (but important detail)

Pre sentencing time served...

The time spent in a provincial jail awaiting your trial/sentencing which counts as double time off your final sentence.

So you get 6 years you should go to a fed-pen right?
    But oops you spent 2 years in jail awaiting trial and sentencing... counts as double time so you have 2 year left of your time left to do... well, off you go to a provincial jail and are "out" in less than 1 year and you avoid the more severe federal system. Thats unfortunately quite common.

Red

AnabolicAlien Guest

bouncer...

hey bouncer!

well as you know it's called "the guarda" over there. i guess he's like in charge of a bunch of other officers. not really sure what his title is. i have other family members over there in law enforcement too. they tell me they can't even carry guns.

i should be going to ireland again within a few months. can't wait!

A.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information