Tony Soprano is offline Associate Member

Employee background checks

I go to interview with this good company in California. So the man talks to me for very long time, explains the business. everything goes good, . So he tells me they do background checks. I'm say ok, no problem I have excellent professional references from previous jobs. He gives me application to fax to him later on. I come home and inside the app, there is a release authorization to a background checking company, i look at website and they seem to be very thorough. uh oh
    anyways, i dont think i will be able to pass criminal-wise, but it was a long time ago, 9 1/2 years. I read about this background checking company and the more i read the more i get pissed.. they use scare-tactics in their advertising, giving examples of company being sued by convicted rapos when they didnt use adequate checks.
    sorry to rant, but i dont know if i should just submit the app and hope for some miracle they dont check or dont care- or e-mail or call HR and explain to them my situation.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Are you a convicted felon?

They WILL check.

Yes, call HR and explain your situation to them.

So.....what is your situation?

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Not sure in the US...but in Canada after 7 years of law abiding you can have your charge pardoned. Might want to check into that.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    What's the name of the checking company? Maybe I'll use them.

mass junkie is offline banned
    I think its an invasion of privacy

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Spoken like a true Ex-Con

Good luck TS.

How can it be an invasion of privacy...when you sign the waiver form? Any good company does background checks now...it's part of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Not sure in the US...but in Canada after 7 years of law abiding you can have your charge pardoned. Might want to check into that.
    They can dismiss it from someone's record after 7 years, but it cant be for serious crimes like murder, sex crimes, and some other ones..
    it was felonious, i guess the only consolation is it is the least major kind one can get.. (assault 3rd). Back then I didn't care really- did hardly any jail time and paid a small fine, I was doing construction so it didnt affect my job at all.
    So far, after going after jobs in non-contruction and non-manufacturing places, ive been turned down 3 times due to my record. Those places sure make a person feel like a hated species.

How can it be an invasion of privacy...when you sign the waiver form? Any good company does background checks now...it's part of business.
    Yeah and if you dont sign the waiver...you dont get the job.... sounds fair to me

Yeah and if you dont sign the waiver...you dont get the job.... sounds fair to me
    Yup. However put yourself in the boss's shoes...you would want to make sure you're hiring the right candidate. Background checks are becoming as standard as the resume.

Yup. However put yourself in the boss's shoes...you would want to make sure you're hiring the right candidate. Background checks are becoming as standard as the resume.
    I'll do it the old fashioned way..... I go on gut instinct.... The people who have a checkered past...will always work harder and for cheaper

If I were boss, yeah, I would prolly check their references, just to make sure they can do the JOB. but hell, I could care less what they've done in the past. We all have skeletons in the closet, just that some have more than others, lol

Exceptions I can agree on are people who work with children and to only check if they are sexual offenders. that would make sense to me..
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; 08-05-2004 at 03:54 PM.

Cry0smate is offline Member
    I don't so much have a problem with b/g checks as I do with credit checks. People need jobs to pay their bills, now they are being denied employment b/c they may have had some credit troubles. That's pure BullSzhit to me......

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Well I have cocaine trafficking and gun charges and I gave up at first, but if are open in the interview and sell yourself well enough then it doesnt matter. However I am moving in to the realm of full time investing so those backround checks can kiss my convicted ass.

hey cool avatar atwa..

anyways. im debating as to call HR or just send it and hope for a miracle, lol.. i think i'll do the former

Da Bull is offline Banned
    I'll do it the old fashioned way..... I go on gut instinct.... The people who have a checkered past...will always work harder and for cheaper
    LOLOLOLOL..that's the way it's done in Miami!!I can't think of a single person I know who wasn't arrested one time or another in Miami.Including politians.

Cali is offline Female Member
    I used to work at a temp agency hiring the temps~we went back 7 years on our background checks. You might have a better chance at getting the job than you think.

Good luck!

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    With a name like Tony Soprano of course they're gonna do a background check...

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by buff87
    With a name like Tony Soprano of course they're gonna do a background check...
    yah ,, if thats a problem try swapping your last name for Montana.

decadbal is offline Banned
    your talkin about the cubans again...

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    In my line of work....we use background checks heavily. I think if it were me, I would complete the application, and either make another appointment to explain the situation or attach a cover letter. If this was a current charge I would be more concerned. Tell them what you did, don't make excuses, own it and explain how you've turn your life around and been a law abiding citizen ever since.

When I conduct interviews... I always tell people that it's better you tell me UPFRONT what Im gonna find, tell me your side of it than for me to find it out the hard way. Once I find something not revealed...I start digging harder.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Thread Information