limppimp85204 is offline Junior Member

"Ireland Is Lost Island of Atlantis, Says Scientist"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nd_atlantis_dc

Ireland Is Lost Island of Atlantis, Says Scientist

By Kevin Smith

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Atlantis, the legendary island nation over whose existence controversy has raged for thousands of years, was actually Ireland, according to a new theory by a Swedish scientist.
    Atlantis, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote in 360 BC, was an island in the Atlantic Ocean where an advanced civilization developed some 11,500 years ago until it was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster and sank beneath the waves. Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography, and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly. "I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters. "Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains. "I've looked at geographical data from the rest of the world and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle -- Ireland." Erlingsson believes the idea that Atlantis sank came from the fate of Dogger Bank, an isolated shoal in the North Sea, about 60 miles off the northeastern coast of England, which sank after being hit by a huge floodwave around 6,100 BC. "I suspect that myth came from Ireland and it derives from Dogger Bank. I think the memory of Dogger Bank was probably preserved in Ireland for around 3,000 years and became mixed up with the story of Atlantis," he said. Erlingsson links the boundaries of the Atlantic Empire, as outlined by Plato, with the geographic distribution of megalithic monuments in Europe and Northern Africa, matching Atlantis' temples with well-known burial sites at Newgrange and Knowth, north of Dublin, which pre-date the pyramids. His book, "Atlantis from a Geographer's Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land," calculates the probability Plato would have had access to geographical data about Ireland as 99.98 percent. Previous theories about Atlantis have suggested it may have been around the Azores islands 900 miles west of the Portuguese coast, or in the Aegean sea. Others locate it solely in the long-decayed brain of Plato.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    hmmm neat... good ol IRELAND.

Im a Irishman.

LM1332 Guest
    man there are sooo many theories out there that its just impossible to keep track of em all. Just recently they said atlantis was a part of Spain

decadbal is offline Banned
    i always knew my ppl were the best and preserved for a reason... now all you english can suck my nut....

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    I just drank from the holy grail

RATM is offline Senior Member
    oh boy, wait till bouncer see's this.

AnabolicAlien Guest

lol

lol...

i knew that all along!

ireland.... it's mine!!!

A.A.

LM1332 Guest
    where are the rocks in england or ireland?

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Highly doubtful that Ireland could have been Atlantis. At the time when Atlantis existed (go back a few thousand years here) Ireland didn't have much of anything other than barbarians and villages. By the accounts of what Atlantis was it had to be an advanced Mediteranean culture Somewhere between Gibraltar and some of the Spanish Islands in the Atlantic.

Before the Irish come out in hoards to flame me let me add that the most beautiful women on earth are Irish
    Last edited by Benches505; 08-08-2004 at 05:43 AM.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by LM1332
    where are the rocks in england or ireland?
    Scotland.

LM1332 Guest
    ah kewl scotland. Those dudes are awesome i wonder what they stand for?!

Harvey Balboner is offline Retired Moderator
    where it talks about ireland possibly being the advanced civilization reminds me of the eposide of the family guy.

then it flashes back to Ireland in the early BC days and it's like the fricken jetsons they are so advanced, then one of the scientists comes in and says old man jamison has invented a new drink, he calls it whiskey. after they have a few swigs in no time flat the place is a dump and primative again.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Balboner
    where it talks about ireland possibly being the advanced civilization reminds me of the eposide of the family guy.

then it flashes back to Ireland in the early BC days and it's like the fricken jetsons they are so advanced, then one of the scientists comes in and says old man jamison has invented a new drink, he calls it whiskey. after they have a few swigs in no time flat the place is a dump and primative again.
    LMAOOO... bro.. I know that episode too, so fukn hilarious...

Thread Information