sinista63 is offline Associate Member

Any DJs on here??

I'm almost at the point where I can finally get my Technics set up (mixer should be delivered in a couple of days). It'll be the first time I'll have turntables at my disposal since my roommate and I shared some back in college (about 2 years ago now... he ended up paying me my share of it and kept them for himself). I was wondering how many of you on here dabble with turntables and DJ'ing and what music do you spin (plus... I figured I'd take part in some post-whoring ). I'm mostly into underground hiphop but my new girl used to spin jungle/drum&bass and she's got a bunch of vinyl she might keep at my place. It'll be a new genre for me to play with. Should be fun.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    only thing i do is trance.

do you spin just at home? or do you actually play for any crowds?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Im not a DJ, but several of my friends have tables. I mess around on them but have never put much effort into it. Mostly break beats and drum n bass is what they spin.

Quote Originally Posted by sinista63
    do you spin just at home? or do you actually play for any crowds?
    im not very good. i started out learning how to use all the equipment on a simulation program for the computer called Reason, its pretty wicked how close it is to the real thing. I compiled a few mixes from that program though, although the mixing is pretty ****ty, track selection is good.

I only do it for myself, i know a few djs in chicago who play for the club scene.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    I think Messy_UK is a DJ..

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    im not very good. i started out learning how to use all the equipment on a simulation program for the computer called Reason, its pretty wicked how close it is to the real thing. I compiled a few mixes from that program though, although the mixing is pretty ****ty, track selection is good.

I only do it for myself, i know a few djs in chicago who play for the club scene.
    never heard of Reason. a buddy of mine is a producer and used to do a lot of his work on a program called SAW32. i played with it a bit myself but mostly to rip songs from a vinyl source and store them on my harddrive. it wasn't the prettiest of programs but it let you do a lot of cool stuff. d@mn thing ran for about a thousand bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by sinista63
    never heard of Reason. a buddy of mine is a producer and used to do a lot of his work on a program called SAW32. i played with it a bit myself but mostly to rip songs from a vinyl source and store them on my harddrive. it wasn't the prettiest of programs but it let you do a lot of cool stuff. d@mn thing ran for about a thousand bucks.
    yea, well reason allowed everything you could freakin imagine. it was the truest program to the real thing ive come by. Its expensive, so i just downloaded it lol 3gb.

3 gigs??? holy ****!... man...i think its time to fire kazaa up again

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    I dj'ed at my uni bar a few times, but it wasnt difficult and it was only when the actual dj would **** off and there would be no music or we were running a rock night that never got more then 4 people attending.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    I could be a DJ with my collection. I have tons of underground hip-hop, as much as we love it, you wont get alot of gigs spinning that because you got to please the masses and they want to hear the same stuff over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    I could be a DJ with my collection. I have tons of underground hip-hop, as much as we love it, you wont get alot of gigs spinning that because you got to please the masses and they want to hear the same stuff over and over.
    yea... i hear ya man. not many nightclubs out here in vegas looking for people to spin non-prophets, non-phixion, dilated, 7l and esoteric, etc. i was thinking of honing my skills and then slowly getting into making some mix tapes/cd's. i've had a lot of friends that have dj'd at college radio stations as well. what do you listen to as far as underground is concerned? its nice to see others listening to true school hip hop.

Lobsterman is offline Associate Member
    I play just for myself though lots of oldskool records is usually what I have the 91-93 era is my favorite

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    I spun all around Boston for the past 4 years and am now selling my equipment, no time for it anymore. I spun mostly funky disco house music or hard trance depends on the venu. The house/trance scene around here is dead!

As for production I use logic mostly, but sometimes I dabble with reason.

Thread Information