Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Maraxus is offline Banned
    I used to have the black weider bench with the leg extension. 150lbs in Sand-filled grey plastic weights, and the adjustable dumbells BOO-YAH!!! Oh it also had the connection for the Lat Pulldown. It was so hardcore, I remember between sets I would be Mortal Kombat I on my Sega Genesis. HARDCORE.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    My dad bought me the sand filled weights so I could get big and kick the black kids asses. It wasn't a bigotry thing, but the black kids always beat up the white kids. He didnt know I was hanging with them and playing hide and go get it with the girls.

detroit is offline Banned

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    How many, while growing up, used to look at bodybuilding mags, "wanna be buff", and played around w/weights? (Only to give up later as it was obvious you weren't doing it because you really wanted to, it was some other outside influence like friends, a bully, etc.)

So, you went to your local K-Mart or other similar "all purpose" location, and proudly purchased a $69.99 bench press set-up, complete w/150 lbs. of weights, that were filled WITH SAND!!!!!!!!!!!?????

Anyone use these archaic things??

~SC~
    Hell ya, i had a sweet DP bench with those sand weights that were in Kilos, and the lbs was in decimal format. Had the hallow bench press bar so when i put all the weight on it (probably like 130lbs...lol) it would bend the bar so bad it looked like the Powerhouse logo.

Oh yea i also had those kick-a$$ Lee Haney cutoff gloves with the built in wrist staps...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit
    Hell ya, i had a sweet DP bench with those sand weights that were in Kilos, and the lbs was in decimal format. Had the hallow bench press bar so when i put all the weight on it (probably like 130lbs...lol) it would bend the bar so bad it looked like the Powerhouse logo.

Oh yea i also had those kick-a$$ Lee Haney cutoff gloves with the built in wrist staps...
    LMFAO.........that cheap azz bar DID bend........I think the long one I had eventually broke in two.......p.o.s...........

~SC~

flexin-rph is offline Member
    I even went as far as to place a large sucker-rod in the bar & filled the ends with
    concrete to hold it in so the bar wouldn't bend & would be heavier...

OK I'm gonna go way back here. Did anyone get the Plant Sterols because the word was almost like Steroids ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    OK I'm gonna go way back here. Did anyone get the Plant Sterols because the word was almost like Steroids ?
    You know what..............ummmmmmmmm, man I can't even respond to this one!

Something I bought back in the day had this in it, and I did think "wow, sounds illegal!"

What a tool!

~SC~

jbigdog69 is offline Banned

I could not afford those **** things!!!

So I paid a friend of mine to steal them. He would steal anything for a pack of ciggs......Hint hint...lol

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    ....Yeah I had that weight set with the concrete plates, the curl dumbbells and the whole nine yards..... One time I was benching in the basement and leaned too far to the side while trying to max out (probably with about 50 pounds - LOL) and the whole fricking bench tipped over. Me, the bench and the bar hit the deck amidst a poo-load of noise! My Dad came flying downstairs yelling, "What the hell is going on down here??". My reply (standard for the day) - "Nothin'".
    I also got a really stupid "isometric' setup which was a wooden plank that you stepped on and put a chain which was attached to a bar in a metal thingie on the plank. The idea was that you would strain against the bar with NO movement and get really huge - Hee Hee! One night the chain slipped out when I was doing isometric curls and the bar whacked me right on the nose......... blood everywhere. Ah, the idiocy of youth.......

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Still got the narrow bench that nearly collapses sideways back at the family home

worse, any of you ever send off for the $1 charles atlas info? (the isometric guy, kicking sand in the face) that was always in the comic books?

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    Still got the narrow bench that nearly collapses sideways back at the family home

worse, any of you ever send off for the $1 charles atlas info? (the isometric guy, kicking sand in the face) that was always in the comic books?
    OMG!!!!! I didn't do that, no, but I do remember those ads!

~SC~

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    My lil bro still has a weider bench in his room with about 35kgs on the bar.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    How many, while growing up, used to look at bodybuilding mags, "wanna be buff", and played around w/weights? (Only to give up later as it was obvious you weren't doing it because you really wanted to, it was some other outside influence like friends, a bully, etc.)

So, you went to your local K-Mart or other similar "all purpose" location, and proudly purchased a $69.99 bench press set-up, complete w/150 lbs. of weights, that were filled WITH SAND!!!!!!!!!!!?????

~SC~

Haha, my friend's dad had those. Man the bench, i was afraid of that bench, it looked so cheap, gonna break it just sitting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    Haha, my friend's dad had those. Man the bench, i was afraid of that bench, it looked so cheap, gonna break it just sitting on it.
    @ my old rowing club, the equipment was really old. We broke all the benches and ended up using the old discarded one. We had to tape a mat to it for padding and the supports that held the bar was only a little wider then your head. The thing was about as wide as the length of my foream. Using that i expected it to flip at least once.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    I still have the adjustable bench in my basement with the sand weights and everything. Don't use it much anymore, but its still there.

OMG!!!!! I didn't do that, no, but I do remember those ads!

~SC~
    I was SOOOOOOO tempted so many times - I remember looking at them at summer camp, thinking "Yeah!" but I never did it

I was SOOOOOOO tempted so many times - I remember looking at them at summer camp, thinking "Yeah!" but I never did it
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuure you didn't do it.

~SC~

w_rballs is offline Anabolic Member
    **** u guys are old. ive only seen those comics on the history channel. haha

Quote Originally Posted by w_rballs
    **** u guys are old. ive only seen those comics on the history channel. haha
    i used to collec comics, and the really OLD ones used to have those ads in em

Holy crap! I still have TONS of comics in storage from when I was like 7-15 or so yrs. of age. One day I'm going to see if they have those ads in them, and I'll scan a few of them, .

~SC~

I have the first appearance of juggernaught in the x-men The episode where mimic loses his powers to the super adaptiod and loads of others. Wow im cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    I have the first appearance of juggernaught in the x-men The episode where mimic loses his powers to the super adaptiod and loads of others. Wow im cool!

X-men? all I had was archie comics and spidey - and they were quite different from todays stuff - xmen really did change that - but they didnt come along really until I was graduating high school

X-men? all I had was archie comics and spidey - and they were quite different from todays stuff - xmen really did change that - but they didnt come along really until I was graduating high school
    x-men came out in the mid 60's. So you graduated in what 1966?

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member

~SC~
    Yup.....hell I remember taking Weider Amino Acid pills that were the size of my fist...LOL

D

anyone have a 'green machine' when they were younger???

That thing was the sh!t!

D

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    anyone have a 'green machine' when they were younger???

That thing was the sh!t!

D
    I had one in the 70's bro. I would put on my Land of the Lost Slee-Slack halloween costume and ride it.

I had one in the 70's bro. I would put on my Land of the Lost Slee-Slack halloween costume and ride it.

Holy Sh!t!

Land of the Lost........I forgot about that show....

D

I would sit on it in the living room while watching the Electric Company...

D

Yup! I had a green machine (love the way that thing moved!!!!!) as an upgrade from my big wheel!

~SC~

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Man we are really telling our age now...lol I had a green machine..but I rode it so much the wheels cracked and eventually fell apart. Oh...and I loved the land of the lost. The little blond was hot. But what was up with that little monkey dude??

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I had the Grey plastic, sand-filled K-mart or Sears weights-no bench--I would get all swole, thinking I am a badazz-drop the bar...and the weights would srack and crumble inside!

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    Man we are really telling our age now...lol I had a green machine..but I rode it so much the wheels cracked and eventually fell apart. Oh...and I loved the land of the lost. The little blond was hot. But what was up with that little monkey dude??
    I had the green machine- but my wheel had a flat spot worrn on it..so when I would ride..you could hear me coming from about 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSlamma
    I had the green machine- but my wheel had a flat spot worrn on it..so when I would ride..you could hear me coming from about 100 yards.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!! Cla clunk, cla clunk, cla clunk!!!!!

~SC~

craneboy is offline Senior Member

~SC~
    yea, i had something close to that i think mine were filled with cement and i had a "bull worker" remember those bro?

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    swol i had the same bench lol i remember it was ok for a little bit when i 1st started but when i was benching around 250 at 15 or so the bolts poped and the bench fell apart allmost killing me .... then i saide ....HOLY$$%@#$% and went to a real gym lol

Quote Originally Posted by big daddy k de
    swol i had the same bench lol i remember it was ok for a little bit when i 1st started but when i was benching around 250 at 15 or so the bolts poped and the bench fell apart allmost killing me .... then i saide ....HOLY$$%@#$% and went to a real gym lol
    Yeah, that's when we all tried to make our OWN bench, or use the coffee table!

~SC~

Old School......

The first women I choked the chicken thinking about was Lonnie Anderson when she was on WKRP in Cincy....

D

Or maybe it was the girls from Three's Company.....

D

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    There were sand filled weights? Get the hell out of here....that had too have been well after my time......we didn't have such things...you spoiled bastards. I had a tractor tire, an axle from a 62 chevy and milk cartons (hell no we didn't have plastic for another five years) taped together with duct tape and filled with rocks. That and throwing bales of hay and lifting cows was what made me the He-Man I am today!

Concrete/sand filled weights........who thinks this stuff up? hahahahahahaha

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Old School......

The first women I choked the chicken thinking about was Lonnie Anderson when she was on WKRP in Cincy....

D
    No Mary Ann or Ginger.........you were a late bloomer. hahaha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information