max-it is offline Member

Hurricane Charley

I live directly in the center of the hurricane's projected path Friday morning. I had evacuted my wife and children to our second home the day before (Thursday) and intended to ride it out. Well, my mother (who lives in a mobile home) came to my house looking for a place to stay during the storm. At that point I wasn't just looking out for myself, I had my mother to worry about. So I told my mom to get in the car because we are getting out of here. So I grab some stuff thats important to me (guns, clothers & my gear) and head out. Fortunately for us the storm turned and my home was left untouched. This morning, Saturday, I leave our second home on the east coast of Florida and drive back accross the state. My path took me directly through the areas that were hardest hit. I can not explain to you how much damage was done. There were roofs from houses in the middle of the street. There were dead animals in the trees. Cars turned over. Almost every power pole had snapped in half like a toothpick. Every sign was destroyed. People were wondering around with blank looks on their face. There are mobile home parks with dead people stacked up, 10 in one park. I felt like I was driving through ground zero of a nuclear strike. Everyone was so dazed, including the police, that I had no fear pulling off the road and asking two state troopers for directions even though I had a bunch of gear in the car with me at the time. The cops had more important things to do. As long as I live I will never forget what I have seen today.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I feel for the people that were in the destruction path of Charley. Good to hear you were not harmed durring the storm.

decadbal is offline Banned
    god bless everyone down there and protect em..

Sierra_Breeze is offline Female Member
    Wow, I'm very sorry that you had to witness such destruction, but am relieved to hear that you and your family and property, were spared. And bless your heart, that's how I felt when I visited my parents home and neighborhood after it was hit by a tornado. It is a very humbling experience, to see the true force of mother nature.

max-it is offline Member
    I'm still watching pictures on tv, its almost unbelievable if I had not have seen it with my own eyes.

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear you and your family are ok.

Thread Information