Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.

Question CDD : Contentment Deficite Disorder

How many of us suffer from Contentment Deficite Disorder? There really isn't a clinical mental illness like this but maybe there should be.

CDD is the inability to be content for a considerable period of time no matter what your circumstances. CDD is the I should have , would have, could have syndrome. CDD is if only I wasn't married, if only I married that other girl, If only I was single thinking. CDD is the IF ONLY syndrome that keeps us from being happy exactly where we are right here and now. And YES sometimes that includes being content in the worst of situations and cirumstances!

Do you suffer from CDD and what are you discontent about?

Justincase is offline Associate Member
    It's the Matrix!........They have tired making everyone happy and it failed........LOL

Man excellent realtion to my post! I think to some extent it is true. If we don't have something to "drive" us even if it is negative we feel like something is wrong.

Bump! I'm glad to see that everyone is happy ALL the time. What are your secrets?

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    There is a name for it..... depression.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I don't have my DSM IV here, but I can look and see what the closest clinical disorder is for you. At least it'll make this a little more interesting.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    This 'CDD' is not so much a mental health issue but more a collection of psychological norms and how/why society causes people's expectations to change over time. CDD is largely based in subjective versus objective rationality, an interesting topic for sure. Victor, PM me if you want some specific journal articles where you can find detailed analysis of this topic.

Chica, thanks I PMed you! It just seems like people almost have been conditioned not to be content like it makes you "less than" somehow. The always drivng forward, gaining ground, crushing all obstacles, attaining it all thing has been ingrained in the American psyche. It's okay to be content......no matter where you are in life.

To be content doesn't mean you have given up.

Pork Chop is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    There is a name for it..... depression.
    What he said.

No I'm not talking depression here. It is never being happy with the girl you're with, could be your job, whatever. I know tons of people who are always bitching about one aspect of their life or other. It's like they invent crisis because things are too calm.

Pork Chop is offline Member
    it's called depression. nothing is ever as bright as it could/should be. Her tits aren't big enough, i'm fat, i don't make anough money, my car sucks (evern though none of this is true). Depression.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Why would a person want to be content? That would stop him from making progress

You don't have to be depressed to have a discontentment IMO. Johan I know plenty of people who are content that make progress. This proves my point contentment is associated with a "less than" point of view. Contentment is the ability to live in the here and now and be just fine where you are at that moment on a consistant basis.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    heck ya I can relate to this one....i'll be all good for awhile, then suddenly I want more....more lean, more strength, more people around me.....whatever....i think that's what allows people to continually improve

There is nothing wrong with wanting more, plenty of people (poor) don't and it is apparent. I guess my question would be to everyone when someone asks you how you are and you say fine or okay, how okay are you, really?

It is a rare person that is. I know some people like that, they attract me like a magnet because of their outlook. Did you ever know anyone that was actually "great" most of the time and not faking it? They are rare but they exist and you can tell they are acting.

This is what I'm talking about.

I meant Not acting, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    You don't have to be depressed to have a discontentment IMO. Johan I know plenty of people who are content that make progress. This proves my point contentment is associated with a "less than" point of view. Contentment is the ability to live in the here and now and be just fine where you are at that moment on a consistant basis.
    My view of beeing content is a bit different

but as you describe it. that would be a pretty good ability.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    It's not depression. CDD, as Victor called it, is a phenomenon comprised of several factors which are all present to some extent in mentally healthy humans. Decision regret, uncertainty aversion, adaptation, mental accounting, amortization of regret, and subjective expected utility are some of the things which affect human behaviour, specifically decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Try Me
    it's called depression. nothing is ever as bright as it could/should be. Her tits aren't big enough, i'm fat, i don't make anough money, my car sucks (evern though none of this is true). Depression.
    By definition, a mentally healthy person must be content with the vast majority of their situation (self, environment, etc). You might think you are not content on a general whole but it if you take the set of all things which you are 'happy' with (here happy means you have no incentive to change) there will be so many of them you won't know where to start counting. Herein lies another problem of the human psyche, you place such great importance on the few things which you are not content with that it almost completely, if not completely, overshadows all things that you are not going to change or do not want to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    Why would a person want to be content? That would stop him from making progress

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    By definition, a mentally healthy person must be content with the vast majority of their situation (self, environment, etc). You might think you are not content on a general whole but it if you take the set of all things which you are 'happy' with (here happy means you have no incentive to change) there will be so many of them you won't know where to start counting. Herein lies another problem of the human psyche, you place such great importance on the few things which you are not content with that it almost completely, if not completely, overshadows all things that you are not going to change or do not want to change.
    I think I can honestly say that I am truly not content with most aspects of my life

decadbal is offline Banned
    i so cant read..... for like the last 10min i thought the middle word was deficate...

Deca , it could be seen as a paralell!

Thread Information