detroit is offline Banned

Hernia surgery tomorrow

Well fella's tomorrow i go under the knife to get this **** inguinal hernia fixed. The doc told me that after a week i can do my normal activities but to wait at least 3 weeks before i hit the gym and to keep it light of another month or so. Anyone had this type of surgery, its the regular open surgery, not laproscopic (since i dont have kids they didnt want to do laproscope) i guess there is a chance they can damage a sperm cord or somthing with the tools since they are pretty much working blind. Any storys of encourgment would be appreciated, Thanks, Later...Det

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Be thinking about you Det.....

C.B.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Sierra_Breeze is offline Female Member
    I, hope all goes well, and I wish ya a speedy recovery take care

Ps, my brother-n-law had to learn the hard way, NOT to rush the recovery, just take it easy for as long as needed, otherwise you'll wind up back on the table.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    3 weeks before lifting again? You will not walk for the 1st week...the second week you will still be hurting and walking like a Grandpa. I was told no light lifting until 6 weeks.

Hernia surgery through the abdominal wall is painful...I would never do it again. Laparoscopic is the only way!! Walking in 1 day.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    3 weeks before lifting again? You will not walk for the 1st week...the second week you will still be hurting and walking like a Grandpa. I was told no light lifting until 6 weeks.

Hernia surgery through the abdominal wall is painful...I would never do it again. Laparoscopic is the only way!! Walking in 1 day.
    $hit that sucks, i hope im an exception, a friend of mine had a hernia up a little higher than mine (open surgery too) he went water skiing 10 days after surgery??? Well, I'll find out soon enough, Later Bros/Sista's

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit
    $hit that sucks, i hope im an exception, a friend of mine had a hernia up a little higher than mine (open surgery too) he went water skiing 10 days after surgery??? Well, I'll find out soon enough, Later Bros/Sista's
    Well, best of luck to you. You definately will have enough trouble walking for at least the first 1-2 wks. Your stabilizer muscles will be screwed for awhile also(obviously cause of the gash in you abdomen). Just try and rest and keep your diet in check, that is the best you can do imo.

Blog Entries
    And are you getting the mesh screen? I have one in me, but i think they are more or less phasing that out.... I forget, my surgery was about 4 yrs ago

Yes, they are using the mesh, i guess its what they call "Tension Free" hernia repair. I havnt asked yet but do they normally put you under, or is it a local anaesthesia? Also, does it leave a nasty scare??? I dont want to be scar'n the ladies when i drop my pants.
    Last edited by detroit; 08-03-2004 at 01:45 PM.

You get put under...the operation is about an 1 hour long.

My scare is barely noticable...great surgeon!

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Good luck bro...... get better soon

<<LMO>>

Thanks guys, ill give you a post-Op undate tomorrow. Later...Det

Blog Entries
    youll definately be under and messed up for awhile. My scar kinda sucks, it is around 2.5" in my manness area But it definately is less noticeable now than it was yrs ago.

Reason i asked about the mesh was there were some studies while back debating on the impact it had on your ureter or basically your ability to keep em shootin potent I dont think it is an issue, cause months ago, i apparently slipped one passed the goalie.... oh well

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member
    I had it done the old fashioned way also... Hurts like hell for a few days. Sore for a week... Does not feel right for a few more weeks.

Get lots of drugs. They DO help.

DO NOT RUSH THE RECOVERY.

In a few weeks you will be as good as new.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I go in for my appointment Aug. 10th. I think I have one, I am not sure though. The pain went away then came back when i had to shovel a few acres of soil. And now it's gone again. I wonder if i just tore an abdominal muscle, which I guess is a hernia, just i dont feel any intestines coming out.

Did you have a bump, or a lump, or did it just feel weird? And what were you doing when you got it, i noticed the pain while doing hip-sled.

Oh yea, I did have a hernia when I was eight and got surgery for it, its on the right side of my crotch. this is on the left. i dont notice a scar.

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    good luck, i hope your surgery goes well, and your recovery!

decadbal is offline Banned
    god bless and dont rush back into the gym...

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    I go in for my appointment Aug. 10th. I think I have one, I am not sure though. The pain went away then came back when i had to shovel a few acres of soil. And now it's gone again. I wonder if i just tore an abdominal muscle, which I guess is a hernia, just i dont feel any intestines coming out.

Did you have a bump, or a lump, or did it just feel weird? And what were you doing when you got it, i noticed the pain while doing hip-sled.

Oh yea, I did have a hernia when I was eight and got surgery for it, its on the right side of my crotch. this is on the left. i dont notice a scar.
    Mine is a small lump about about the size of your thumb to the first knuckle. But tis only out when im on my feet for long period of time, or if i strain. But it does not hurt a bit. Actually i dont even know when i got it. Just noticed it a few weeks back when i was pissing. Sometimes it feels like a dull ake but never painfull. Just a weird feeling when it push's thru.

Just got back home. So far so good. Im still a little numb, so im not in any pain and im walking fine. Going to get some Vik pills here in a little bit. Im sure ill be hurten after the numbness wears off. Thanks again guys/gals...

Sierra_Breeze is offline Female Member
    Glad to hear it, I'm glad everything went well so far, I wish you a speedy recovery I'm sure when that numbness wears off those pain killers will be your best friend!

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member
    Mine is a small lump about about the size of your thumb to the first knuckle. But tis only out when im on my feet for long period of time, or if i strain. But it does not hurt a bit. Actually i dont even know when i got it. Just noticed it a few weeks back when i was pissing. Sometimes it feels like a dull ake but never painfull. Just a weird feeling when it push's thru.
    This was my experience exactly. If anyone else thinks they have this... It can be very dangerous though if left untreated. The intestine can actually be pinched closed by the abdominal muscles. Like a clamp over a hose.

Detroit... Hope you heal up fine. My biggest complaint was every time I coughed or sneezed, it hurt like hell for a week. The pain will go away all together in about a week to a week and a half. Then it just won't feel right in the gym for a while.

What ever you do, take it really easy and don't rush the recovery. I had a friend do this a few years back, and he blew himself out again, and had to go back and get the process done all over. Needless to say, when he tore open the unhealed repair, it was a lot worse than the first time.

I only lost about five pounds of muscle throughout the whole recovery ordeal. It lasted maybe a month total before I was back lifting heavy again. I was back to my previous weight in about two weeks after working out heavy again. The trick is going to be to really watch your diet while you are not able to workout much so you dont put on a bunch of fat. Remember, you won't be burning too many calories the first week or two.

Good luck!

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Just got back home. So far so good. Im still a little numb, so im not in any pain and im walking fine. Going to get some Vik pills here in a little bit. Im sure ill be hurten after the numbness wears off. Thanks again guys/gals...
    What tests did they do to you to find out if it was a hernia? the old cough and look away thing?

thats good to hear. cause if i end up needing surgery it will be down at school, and missin a lot of school isnt going to go over so well.

The doc can tell

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    What tests did they do to you to find out if it was a hernia? the old cough and look away thing?

thats good to hear. cause if i end up needing surgery it will be down at school, and missin a lot of school isnt going to go over so well.
    He pretty much knew i had a hernia soon as he looked at it. If you think you have a hernia, chances are you do. Get it checked out though, the sooner you get it fixed the easier it will be on you.

He's is a little info my doc told me. Most men have a defect in the lower abdomen from when our testicles decend from out abdomen regin. When that occurs it dosnt totally seal back up and that creates a natural weak spot. When a hernia occurs here (where 70% of all hernia's in men occur) its called an "ingunial hernia" and if left untreated the herniated sac can decend into you scrotum. NOT COOL.

Got'er Fixed...

Well, incase anyone wanted to know what hurnia surgery looked like a day after surgery...here you go i just now took the dressing off.

Im actually doing good, walking fine, but slow. The biggest problem is laying down in bed, you really dont realize how inportant your abs are untill they hurt everytime you use them...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hernia surgery tomorrow-hernia-incision.jpg  

It looks clean...you shouldn't have any scarring issues. It will only be a slight line.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion

i had hernia

hernia's suck, it might take longer then 3 weeks to recover. i had mine a few years ago and it took me a while to recover fully and to be able to walk. godbless!

Blog Entries
    Im actually doing good, walking fine, but slow. The biggest problem is laying down in bed, you really dont realize how inportant your abs are untill they hurt everytime you use them...
    Glad to hear youre allright! You are **** right about the importance of your abs!! So, now how soon you think itll take to hit the gym hard?

illuzions is offline Associate Member
    hey whats up...i had mine on aug. 2nd....and tomorrow will be a week...the first couple days i was shot to death....could barely walk and everything hurt...especially the aber dabers...sleeping was a pain in the ass...im not used to sleeping on my back...so when i couldnt turn over i was going crazy....today though i was walking better than usual...still i look like grandpa walking hunched over...but i figure that will go away soon...i havent looked at the scar yet...wed. my doc takes it all off...he told me i have stitches that disolve...i guess u have the staples...i also had the mesh inserted...only diff here is that he told me not to hit the weights for 3 months...i guess ill have to take it day by day...i definitly dont wanna be back under the nice...do any of u guys know when it is safe to run or play basketball....i play in a couple fall leagues and i was wondering how long b4 i could do all this...if i miss the gym for a while its no prob...ill keep myself in shape through other ways....well best of luck on the recovery...pm me and let me know how the recovery goes det......

Well Fella's i got the staples out today, and it feels so much better. My Doc actually gave me the go ahead to start light physical activity. I actually cant believe how fast im recovering (its only been 8 days since surgery). The only thing that is painful is to pull my left knee up to my chest. Anyway, im going to the gym tonight, probably just run on a treadmill and do some cardio for a week. And next week hit the weights light...
    Later, and good luck with your recovery Illuzions.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i found the best thing was to constantly walk around

TheOak182 is offline Associate Member
    I had a hernia so i know how much it sucks! Its really bad for about a week after you first get it done, but definitely take it real easy the first couple of days, but you should definitely try and get up and walk as much as possible. I would also make good use of the painkillers they give you for it too!

TheOak182 is offline Associate Member
    And one more thing! Make sure they cut open the "RIGHT" side. I swear to God my Doc almost cut me open on the wrong side, luckly i wasn't that out of it yet!

illuzions is offline Associate Member
    wow that is sick...i cannot even imagine having them do the wrong side...today i feel alot better....my doc also gave me the go ahead to do some running...still he wants me to stay away from the weights for a while....but i have been walking alot, and now i can start doing some cardio....i didnt have staples, i had stitches...and now its just covered with lil band aids...**** it looks nasty...lol....good luck det, be careful not to lift to soon...u dont wanna have any more probs...

Ok fellas, its been two weeks since i had my surgery and i feel great, Monday i started hitting the weights again, and today i have a softball game. Recovery has been phenominal, in another month of so i may plan out my next cycle that i didnt get to do because of that **** hernia...Later, and thanks again everyone, Det...

Blog Entries
    Ok fellas, its been two weeks since i had my surgery and i feel great, Monday i started hitting the weights again, and today i have a softball game. Recovery has been phenominal, in another month of so i may plan out my next cycle that i didnt get to do because of that **** hernia...Later, and thanks again everyone, Det...
    Wow, that is amazing that you are already up and running!!! Thank your doc

Thread Information