Beernutz is offline Member

Red face Face to face with a Sting ray......

So there i am last week on vacation in Italy swimming in the beautiful ocean. The shallow waters were getting pretty borning so i decided to swim out about couple hundred yards from the shore. So i slap on my googles and go under to find myself about 3 feet from a huge stingray about 4 to 5 ft wide with a 3 foot long tail. My first reaction was i was scared $hitless because ive never seen something like this in my life, but before i took off for the shore from fear i took a second look at it and relized how beautiful it was. It was swimming so graceful and smooth i decided to follow it for as long as i could before it got away. Thats one memory ill never forget. It has also made me look into deep sea diving which is something i deff would want to try after seeing that stingray. I would also want to know if anyone could tell me if following it like i did was stupid and dangerous. I have no idea if they could actually hurt humans.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I do believe they can sting, not sure though.

~SC~

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I do believe they can sting, not sure though.

~SC~
    maybe the name gives some sort of clue

seriously its their tail that you have to be careful of

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz
    So there i am last week on vacation in Italy swimming in the beautiful ocean. The shallow waters were getting pretty borning so i decided to swim out about couple hundred yards from the shore. So i slap on my googles and go under to find myself about 3 feet from a huge stingray about 4 to 5 ft wide with a 3 foot long tail. My first reaction was i was scared $hitless because ive never seen something like this in my life, but before i took off for the shore from fear i took a second look at it and relized how beautiful it was. It was swimming so graceful and smooth i decided to follow it for as long as i could before it got away. Thats one memory ill never forget. It has also made me look into deep sea diving which is something i deff would want to try after seeing that stingray. I would also want to know if anyone could tell me if following it like i did was stupid and dangerous. I have no idea if they could actually hurt humans.

Nice bro! Iv been diving for almost 20yrs now. ITs a whole other world down there. A stingray isnt dangerous although if he sticks u with his tail ur in for some pain. But all in all there pretty safe to swim around. I was diving in Maui once and swam with a mantaray. The thing was sooo friggin big it was awsome! Ur hooked now bro....

OG

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    they only bother you if you bother them. most singray "attacks" result from people stepping on them.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    maybe the name gives some sort of clue

seriously its their tail that you have to be careful of
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!

~SC~

palme is offline Rosie Member
    They are not dangerus to humans. They arent agressive either.

BabyGirl01 is offline Female Member
    Wow and Italy how long of a flight was that? Sea creatures are so beautiful. Its amazing..

BG

mustang331 is offline Member
    I was mean and killed sting rays in my early diving days...

I love em, but was just plain stupid!

alevok Guest
    well I used to live in St pete and there are millions of them living there, every fisherman in Fl probably catches at least one or two sting ray accidentally, they are not dengerous, they do not attack people, some of them carry a sting that you should not step on it, to avoid a sting you gotta shuffle while walking.

Spyder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGirl01
    Wow and Italy how long of a flight was that? Sea creatures are so beautiful. Its amazing..BG
    Hey Babygirl ... from Newark or LaGuardia, its approx an 8 hour flight into Rome.

Beernutz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGirl01
    Wow and Italy how long of a flight was that? Sea creatures are so beautiful. Its amazing..

BG
    the flight was about 8 hours there and about 9.5 hrs back, and yhea they are amazing creatures thanks for the responses.

Thread Information