illuzions is offline Associate Member

Need Some Career Advice???

Hey whats going on guys...ok i need some good solid advice on where to take my career...here is the situation...i have a BA in English and my two options are:

1) Become a teacher through some connections that i have, will be taking the praxis test in sept., use the alternate route to get hired and get my certificate by completing some extra credit work...

2)Become a cop, there is a big test coming up, which could be my break, thus I have already taken a few town tests and also have some good solid connections in the police.

The problem is i like both, i am very much into physical work and agility, so the cop thing is something i really could see myself doing, also i like the whole authority thing ....BUTTTTT it isnt the safest of jobs, and the hours are not great at first.

Teaching is a good, safe, secure job with many great aspects...if i was a teacher i would go back to school and get my masters degree and hope to become a principal down the road...

So there u have it...please throw some opinions on what i should do...any one in the field that could give me some direction would be greatly appreciated...thanx

mass junkie is offline banned
    Become a teacher.......imagine all them 15 and 16 year olds you could nail

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Become a teacher.......imagine all them 15 and 16 year olds you could nail
    ya, R.kelly's your role model isnt he.

hahaaha come on now guys...i would be teaching anywhere from 4th to 8th grade....i dont wanna deal with assholes, like i was, in high school.....

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Teacher over a cop hands down and no contest!
    Think of all of the single lady teachers
    Think of not dealing with insecure ego maniacs (cops) 9 out of 10 guys that got kicked around in my high school are now cops...that sums it up

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    go as a cop.. put in your time... then turn teacher...

teach the cops.. get it.. best of both worlds..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

rocco78 is offline Junior Member
    Maybe a firefighter? That is active and along the same lines...

About becoming a police officer:
    I have known people to become cops with the best intentions. The problem is, that field is full of adolescent, power-tripping jerks. I remember an old friend, a guy I'd known since highschool, got into law enforcement to "keep drunks off the street and families safe from abuse"... a noble cause indeed.

However, about a year into it, we were out drinking and he was telling me about how much fun it is "to bust these lowlifes on probation on thanksgiving and christmas. Man, I just show up at thier house, because you KNOW they think it's ok to drink on Christmas, but I throw them in the back of my car and they're off to jail once again!" He started lauging a phony laugh. I found a reason to leave and haven't talked to him since.

The system had gotten the best of him, and in my opinion, he became a "pig" and a hypocrite. Keep in mind I used to do speed with this kid in high school. We never hurt anyone, but if a cop had been around, we could STILL be in jail.

There is NO reason to come to someones house on a holiday, embarrass them infront of thier families, and put them in Jail. If I did that to you, you would kick my a##. But if I was a cop, you'd have to shut up and deal with it. And if I HAD to do that as a cop, you can bet I wouldn't find it at all funny. But the system changes cops like it changes criminals, and both are worse for the wear.

Now, do I think some cops are good people? Yes. But it is hard to maintain your dignity when profiting off of the lowest element in society. It is even harder to not BECOME as low as your associations. (I have known more than one prison gaurd to MARRY an inmate)

Profiting off of education is far more noble. You get authority that comes from actually being more intelligent, and enhancing peoples lives. Sounds like a better way to go to me.

And to all you good cops out there - Keep it up and no offence to you. If you exist to "protect and serve" rather than to "harass and imprison", then you've got my support.
    Last edited by rocco78; 08-16-2004 at 06:57 PM.

I also say teacher...

That is truly the greatest profession on earth.

You could not pay me enough to be a cop...

Red

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    Become a teacher -- you can always movr into a different career or move into administration if you desire. You can even move from being a teacher into the corporate world if you want to. Once you become a cop you are stuck doing that forever.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco78

I have known people to become cops with the best intentions. The problem is, that field is full of adolescent, power-tripping jerks. I remember an old friend, a guy I'd known since highschool, got into law enforcement to "keep drunks off the street and families safe from abuse"... a noble cause indeed.

However, about a year into it, we were out drinking and he was telling me about how much fun it is "to bust these lowlifes on probation on thanksgiving and christmas. Man, I just show up at thier house, because you KNOW they think it's ok to drink on Christmas, but I throw them in the back of my car and they're off to jail once again!" He started lauging a phony laugh. I found a reason to leave and haven't talked to him since.

The system had gotten the best of him, and in my opinion, he became a "pig" and a hypocrite. Keep in mind I used to do speed with this kid in high school. We never hurt anyone, but if a cop had been around, we could STILL be in jail.

There is NO reason to come to someones house on a holiday, embarrass them infront of thier families, and put them in Jail. If I did that to you, you would kick my a##. But if I was a cop, you'd have to shut up and deal with it. And if I HAD to do that as a cop, you can bet I wouldn't find it at all funny. But the system changes cops like it changes criminals, and both are worse for the wear.

Now, do I think some cops are good people? Yes. But it is hard to maintain your dignity when profiting off of the lowest element in society. It is even harder to not BECOME as low as your associations. (I have known more than one prison gaurd to MARRY an inmate)

Profiting off of education is far more noble. You get authority that comes from actually being more intelligent, and enhancing peoples lives. Sounds like a better way to go to me.

And to all you good cops out there - Keep it up and no offence to you. If you exist to "protect and serve" rather than to "harass and imprison", then you've got my support.

good post.....gave your opinion and gave references for your opinion. I like it!!

My wife is a teacher....just about finished with her masters in admin also....she loves what she does.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I also say teacher...

That is truly the greatest profession on earth.

You could not pay me enough to be a cop...

Red

And you don't get paid enough to be a teacher. LOL

D

worldtraveln is offline Associate Member
    removed
    Last edited by worldtraveln; 04-27-2006 at 05:41 PM.

oxymorone of the day....."good lawyer"

that's kind of like "intelligent liberal" isn't it.

just kidding....not all lawyers are bad either....I guess.

Sicofit24 is offline Female Member
    Be a cop..
    and then use your degree to teach criminology.. what a great class that was.
    Im seriously considering changing my major to criminology. I would like to be a cop or a parole officer..
    then I can pat guys down.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig

that's kind of like "intelligent liberal" isn't it.

I would take offense to that if I didn't know you. LOL

D

Spyder Guest
    Illuzions.. your from NJ? me too ... listen, where is this cop test for? local city level right? im looking into state PD, but they arent taking applications until January some time.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    between the two i would choose a cop....dude, u get a real gun/handcuffs/car/police radio/batch/partner to chill with while crusin the city and etc.....teacher is lame with weak pay, but at least a cop can use his status for discounts on gym memberships and weed, ain't nottn better than free weed....

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Get into graduate school.

well i thank you all for your opinions...i took them all into consideration....i especially like the long post by rocco, i have to say that both careers spark an interest in me, however i feel that i am more drawn to becoming a cop...i do understand that there are many bad cops out there who abuse their authority....but i on the other hand will not allow myself to go that route...if at any time i feel that i am being pushed in that direction i would quit asap...i have many friends that are cops and they tell me the same thing...there is good and bad...you see i am intrigued by becoming a cop...i dont have a passion to be a teacher, rather i know its a safe and secure job...i do like the post on becoming a cop and then teach criminology...and hey if i dont like the cop thing i always have that degree, which i can use to become a teacher...

also i forgot to mention...as with a teacher there are also many doors that can open with a cop...you can climb the ladder up to sargent, chief, lietenant, SWAT, detective...the list is endless....hence i would not be just a cop, i would try my hardest to get ahead and above the rest....and to spyder, yea the test is in sept. and oct. it is for all the counties...its the big one...and the state police just had a test....but that is a great job...so i would take it if you could

Spyder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by illuzions
    ....and to spyder, yea the test is in sept. and oct. it is for all the counties...its the big one...and the state police just had a test....but that is a great job...so i would take it if you could
    Thanks man, i just read on the website that im too late for that one, even if i was interested. it says ...

"Open Job Announcements
    The tentative test dates for the next Law Enforcement Entry-Level examination (LEE) are September 18th, October 2nd, and October 16th. Only applicants who submitted there application before March 31, 2004, which was the job announcement closing date, will be mailed a specific test date."

Oh well. ....im still waiting for the State PD one however. It's hard bro. It's like volunteer incarceration. This just gives me enough time to tone up for the Physical Fitness part of the interview process.

hey spyder check your emails i sent u a message

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    I would take offense to that if I didn't know you. LOL

D

I thought you might find humor in that....

helios is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco78

AMEN BRUTHA!

Tony Soprano is offline Associate Member
    Be a cop and then if you want to make some big bucks, by all means, join the NARC unit. They get to profit from all the drugbusts and vehicle seizures.
    Plus you are ridding society of some real scumbags-crack, H, and meth dealers.

Just be sure to look the other way when you see the juice!

rocco78 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illuzions
    well i thank you all for your opinions...i took them all into consideration....i especially like the long post by rocco, i have to say that both careers spark an interest in me, however i feel that i am more drawn to becoming a cop...i do understand that there are many bad cops out there who abuse their authority....but i on the other hand will not allow myself to go that route...if at any time i feel that i am being pushed in that direction i would quit asap...i have many friends that are cops and they tell me the same thing...there is good and bad...you see i am intrigued by becoming a cop...i dont have a passion to be a teacher, rather i know its a safe and secure job...i do like the post on becoming a cop and then teach criminology...and hey if i dont like the cop thing i always have that degree, which i can use to become a teacher...
    Hey man, I respect your decision. There are good police out there, and I'm grateful as hell to have them on the streets.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    I say again, go to graduate school. Don't let 40,000 a year blind your judgement. With a masters were talkin' DEA, FBI, ATF bro.

in reference to tony soprano--im definitly feeling u there...i dont want to be just a cop...i wanna climb the ladder and get into different fields, thats what intriges me most..rocco---thank you for the post...i will not allow myself to become a crooked cop...now a days, or at least where i live, crooked cops are getting caught left and right...and finally to the last post by inheritmylife--- u have a good point there...and if i see that i need to get my masters in order to better myself in the law enforcement field than i will not waste my time and do so....thanx to all the posts...

RJM03 is offline Senior Member
    I have a BA in sociology and now I wholesale mutual funds for a company you definitely know. I couldnt imagine doing anything else to be honest, I basically took and entry level job with the firm 3 years ago, and busted my ass to get my name out and jumped at the opportunity for something better. I make good money but you got to want to sell.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Being an eduicator is not all that it is cracked up to be...w/just a BA in English-a certification/state endorsement is still needed..plus qualifying PRAXIS 1 and 2 scores..some states require the subject matter specific test. I would get a job and get a license plus a Master's- pay jump is well worth the work and time.
    You must also decide-Elem/Mid/HS...different endorsements. Try for both-cop/teacher...also remember only 20% of those with an education actually teach after 4 years..

bamaslama ur right about the test that have to be taken....i have decided that for now i am going to pusrue what i have wanted to, which is becoming a cop....i have family members who seem to like the teaching gig more, but in my own eyes i have to be content, and if i am going to live with myself than i have to do what i think is best for me...at least then if i dont like the police field than i can say well i did try...if all else fails i will not waste any time and get into teaching...thank you

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Good to hear that you are following your gut and doing what you want-
    Down the road, try teaching at summer school or sub'ing before you go full time- it can be an eye opener!

you are definitly right...thats the only way ill know if its my calling or if it was just a nice thought...thanx.......

Thread Information