OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member

Talk about lucky...Skydiver survives 11,500ft plunge

Shes one lucky SOB...

OG

Skydiver survives 11,500ft plunge
    Monday, August 23, 2004 Posted: 5:28 AM EDT (0928 GMT)

Johannesburg South Africa - Hotel Rates
    Before booking a hotel, compare hotel room rates at Nextag.
    www.nextag.com

SkyAuction.com: Bid on South Africa
    Auctions start at just $1. Coach to first-class international and domestic...
    www.skyauction.com

Hotels near Johannesburg, South Africa
    Save up to 50% on hotels near Johannesburg, South Africa at Expedia.com; your...
    www.expedia.com

Johannesburg Hotels and Inns
    Johannesburg hotels & inns provided by BestLodging.com - see pictures, then make...
    www.bestlodging.com

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
    South Africa

Parachuting

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) -- A South African skydiver survived a 3,500 meter (11,500 ft) plunge after her parachute failed to open and lines broke on her reserve chute, a local skydiving club said Monday.

Christy McKenzie was hurtling towards the ground at more than 200 kms (120 miles) per hour on Sunday when her parachute failed to deploy, Johan Mulder, the chief instructor at the Johannesburg Skydiving Club, told Reuters.

"When it didn't open she tried to deploy her reserve parachute and it had a fairly hard opening. A couple of the lines broke and so it was not fully open," he said.

This meant that her descent was still dangerously fast.

Powerlines broke her fall and may have saved her life. She survived with a hairline fracture to her pelvis.

"It's extremely, extremely rare ... it's unheard of that there are malfunctions in reserve parachutes," Mulder said, adding that the equipment was being sent to the manufacturer to determine why it did not work properly.

The Johannesburg Star newspaper quoted McKenzie, an experienced skydiver, as saying from her hospital bed: "I'll jump again."

The incident occurred at Carletonville, about 70 km (40 miles) west of Johannesburg.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    The Johannesburg Star newspaper quoted McKenzie, an experienced skydiver, as saying from her hospital bed: "I'll jump again."
    Yet she will jump again. I guess she didn't smack the ground hard enough the first time.

Count your blessings and take up another hobby! Ya think?

~SC~

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    man that would scare the **** out of me. Wonder what was going on in hear head during the fall

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    lol i hate flying first off but to jump out and it not open hell id have a heart attack befor i even hit the ground

twosocks40 is offline Member
    I'd jump again too. There is no substitute for a good adrenaline rush. No substitute!
    She is one lucky Biaatch though.

-B

max-it is offline Member
    50% off hotels in south africa!!

helios is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twosocks40
    I'd jump again too. There is no substitute for a good adrenaline rush. No substitute!
    Amen! Once I heal from surgery (no not sky diving related) Im planning a jump in september.

dannyisaacs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    Shes one lucky SOB...

OG

Skydiver survives 11,500ft plunge
    Monday, August 23, 2004 Posted: 5:28 AM EDT (0928 GMT)

Johannesburg South Africa - Hotel Rates
    Before booking a hotel, compare hotel room rates at Nextag.
    www.nextag.com

SkyAuction.com: Bid on South Africa
    Auctions start at just $1. Coach to first-class international and domestic...
    www.skyauction.com

Hotels near Johannesburg, South Africa
    Save up to 50% on hotels near Johannesburg, South Africa at Expedia.com; your...
    www.expedia.com

Johannesburg Hotels and Inns
    Johannesburg hotels & inns provided by BestLodging.com - see pictures, then make...
    www.bestlodging.com

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
    South Africa

Parachuting

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) -- A South African skydiver survived a 3,500 meter (11,500 ft) plunge after her parachute failed to open and lines broke on her reserve chute, a local skydiving club said Monday.

Christy McKenzie was hurtling towards the ground at more than 200 kms (120 miles) per hour on Sunday when her parachute failed to deploy, Johan Mulder, the chief instructor at the Johannesburg Skydiving Club, told Reuters.

"When it didn't open she tried to deploy her reserve parachute and it had a fairly hard opening. A couple of the lines broke and so it was not fully open," he said.

This meant that her descent was still dangerously fast.

Powerlines broke her fall and may have saved her life. She survived with a hairline fracture to her pelvis.

"It's extremely, extremely rare ... it's unheard of that there are malfunctions in reserve parachutes," Mulder said, adding that the equipment was being sent to the manufacturer to determine why it did not work properly.

The incident occurred at Carletonville, about 70 km (40 miles) west of Johannesburg.
    i couldnt believe it. you see guys south african guys rock. cos they as hard as rock we like planks ha ha

decadbal is offline Banned
    Death From Above Baby...rltw

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I think someone is trying to tell her to stop jumping out of perfectly good airplanes! I don't think I'd jump again after that one. I'd count my blessings and take up shuffle board or something!

Thread Information