DNoMac is offline Senior Member

Start personal training tomm....Advice???

I'm pretty pumped, but a little nervous at the same time. This is my first time formally training (trained friends and family), so I was just wondering if anybody had any advice.

I could def use some tips as far as training obese people and older people that have little experience. If you have any tips or links of excercises and routines I could use for reference I would appreciate it. Thanks all!

EastCoaster is offline Banned
    I've spent a lot of time in Ohio, where are you located.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    obese and old...compound full body exersizes

light weight higher reps

get them good and conditioned first

jchurch190 is offline New Member
    Know these people do not have the will, motivation or the need for the pain we endure (most of them). Bump to the lightweight and lots of reps. Even think about a circuit training routine (total body for heart rate) instead of body part focus.
    Make sure you cool them down to help break up the lactic acid so pain is at a minimum.
    Lastly, if you get a large obese person do not make them get into machines made with few adjustment settings. Scope out the machine settings, long before, you try to put them into the contraptions and expect their body to fit. (Note- problems are most common with old leg machines and machines made for pressing movements.)

Good luck on the first day and watch out for the horny old ladies who will come in just to show you their over tanned, leather like, droopy ass.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'm curious as to how you are starting to train people, but have no protocols lined up?

That just seems strange! It's like playin' in a band, u have a gig tomorrow and are a drummer, but you have no drum set.

Just curious!

~SC~

Thanks to all of the replys. Swole, I've done my fair share of research here on AR as well as other sites on the net, magazines, etc. However, as far as older people and obese people go, your analogy of a drummer isn't so far off. I figured I would keep it light, and maybe do 2 sets per body part and do a full body workout, however I'm always interested in new ideas especially from you bros on AR. Any other advice is appreciated, Thanks all!!

Oh and Eastcoaster- I'm in Columbus (OSU). Church- The horny old ladies is money in the pocket.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    your gonna train these ppl just from the research you have done on the net? Or did you complete some sort of training like ACE .....

Ndeita.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    cool

max-it is offline Member
    i found this site helpfull. keep mixing up their routine so they think you know every exercise in the world. oh, and tell them that you made up one of the more obscure exercises, they will think you are a genious.
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Thanks to all of the replys. Swole, I've done my fair share of research here on AR as well as other sites on the net, magazines, etc. However, as far as older people and obese people go, your analogy of a drummer isn't so far off. I figured I would keep it light, and maybe do 2 sets per body part and do a full body workout, however I'm always interested in new ideas especially from you bros on AR. Any other advice is appreciated, Thanks all!!
    Ahh, I see.

I'd say a total body workout 3 times per week is good. Cardio 3-5 days per week is great also. For older folk, I utilize low-gi carbs at ALL times, and even pwo in a certain manner as the older you are, them more blood-sugar issues you run into, have to avoid, etc. Utilize CLA, GT, ALCAR, TAURINE, as a natural fat burner of sorts, not needing any stimulants as most won't desire to take such things. (GT is not really a "stimulant", and has other healthy properties as well) Don't neglect oils/healthy fats, as at older age those become even more invaluable. Also give them a cheat day, because you have to live a little too!

Those are a few big keys right there, that if focused on, will make other aspects of the endeavor far much easier to employ and/or adjust.

~SC~

Thanks a lot bros! Max- that web site kicks ass

Thread Information