Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    OGPackin's Avatar
    OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,022

    Talk about lucky...Skydiver survives 11,500ft plunge

    Shes one lucky SOB...

    OG

    Skydiver survives 11,500ft plunge
    Monday, August 23, 2004 Posted: 5:28 AM EDT (0928 GMT)




    Johannesburg South Africa - Hotel Rates
    Before booking a hotel, compare hotel room rates at Nextag.
    www.nextag.com

    SkyAuction.com: Bid on South Africa
    Auctions start at just $1. Coach to first-class international and domestic...
    www.skyauction.com

    Hotels near Johannesburg, South Africa
    Save up to 50% on hotels near Johannesburg, South Africa at Expedia.com; your...
    www.expedia.com

    Johannesburg Hotels and Inns
    Johannesburg hotels & inns provided by BestLodging.com - see pictures, then make...
    www.bestlodging.com



    YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
    South Africa

    Parachuting

    or Create your own

    Manage alerts | What is this?


    JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) -- A South African skydiver survived a 3,500 meter (11,500 ft) plunge after her parachute failed to open and lines broke on her reserve chute, a local skydiving club said Monday.

    Christy McKenzie was hurtling towards the ground at more than 200 kms (120 miles) per hour on Sunday when her parachute failed to deploy, Johan Mulder, the chief instructor at the Johannesburg Skydiving Club, told Reuters.

    "When it didn't open she tried to deploy her reserve parachute and it had a fairly hard opening. A couple of the lines broke and so it was not fully open," he said.

    This meant that her descent was still dangerously fast.

    Powerlines broke her fall and may have saved her life. She survived with a hairline fracture to her pelvis.

    "It's extremely, extremely rare ... it's unheard of that there are malfunctions in reserve parachutes," Mulder said, adding that the equipment was being sent to the manufacturer to determine why it did not work properly.

    The Johannesburg Star newspaper quoted McKenzie, an experienced skydiver, as saying from her hospital bed: "I'll jump again."

    The incident occurred at Carletonville, about 70 km (40 miles) west of Johannesburg.

  2. #2
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    The Johannesburg Star newspaper quoted McKenzie, an experienced skydiver, as saying from her hospital bed: "I'll jump again."
    Yet she will jump again. I guess she didn't smack the ground hard enough the first time.

    Count your blessings and take up another hobby! Ya think?

    ~SC~

  3. #3
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    man that would scare the **** out of me. Wonder what was going on in hear head during the fall

  4. #4
    drdeath613's Avatar
    drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    newport richey fl
    Posts
    1,931
    lol i hate flying first off but to jump out and it not open hell id have a heart attack befor i even hit the ground

  5. #5
    twosocks40's Avatar
    twosocks40 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    down south
    Posts
    653
    I'd jump again too. There is no substitute for a good adrenaline rush. No substitute!
    She is one lucky Biaatch though.


    -B

  6. #6
    max-it's Avatar
    max-it is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    553
    50% off hotels in south africa!!

  7. #7
    helios's Avatar
    helios is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    perdition
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by twosocks40
    I'd jump again too. There is no substitute for a good adrenaline rush. No substitute!
    Amen! Once I heal from surgery (no not sky diving related) Im planning a jump in september.

  8. #8
    dannyisaacs is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    Shes one lucky SOB...

    OG

    Skydiver survives 11,500ft plunge
    Monday, August 23, 2004 Posted: 5:28 AM EDT (0928 GMT)




    Johannesburg South Africa - Hotel Rates
    Before booking a hotel, compare hotel room rates at Nextag.
    www.nextag.com

    SkyAuction.com: Bid on South Africa
    Auctions start at just $1. Coach to first-class international and domestic...
    www.skyauction.com

    Hotels near Johannesburg, South Africa
    Save up to 50% on hotels near Johannesburg, South Africa at Expedia.com; your...
    www.expedia.com

    Johannesburg Hotels and Inns
    Johannesburg hotels & inns provided by BestLodging.com - see pictures, then make...
    www.bestlodging.com



    YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
    South Africa

    Parachuting

    or Create your own

    Manage alerts | What is this?


    JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) -- A South African skydiver survived a 3,500 meter (11,500 ft) plunge after her parachute failed to open and lines broke on her reserve chute, a local skydiving club said Monday.

    Christy McKenzie was hurtling towards the ground at more than 200 kms (120 miles) per hour on Sunday when her parachute failed to deploy, Johan Mulder, the chief instructor at the Johannesburg Skydiving Club, told Reuters.

    "When it didn't open she tried to deploy her reserve parachute and it had a fairly hard opening. A couple of the lines broke and so it was not fully open," he said.

    This meant that her descent was still dangerously fast.

    Powerlines broke her fall and may have saved her life. She survived with a hairline fracture to her pelvis.

    "It's extremely, extremely rare ... it's unheard of that there are malfunctions in reserve parachutes," Mulder said, adding that the equipment was being sent to the manufacturer to determine why it did not work properly.

    The Johannesburg Star newspaper quoted McKenzie, an experienced skydiver, as saying from her hospital bed: "I'll jump again."

    The incident occurred at Carletonville, about 70 km (40 miles) west of Johannesburg.
    i couldnt believe it. you see guys south african guys rock. cos they as hard as rock we like planks ha ha

  9. #9
    decadbal's Avatar
    decadbal is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Charlotte
    Posts
    11,924
    Death From Above Baby...rltw

  10. #10
    Pale Horse's Avatar
    Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ACLU headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    I think someone is trying to tell her to stop jumping out of perfectly good airplanes! I don't think I'd jump again after that one. I'd count my blessings and take up shuffle board or something!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •