Thread: Chow chow's

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member

Chow chow's

I'm currently in the market for a dog. I want to get one from a shelter for a few different reasons. I live in a condo, so I can't get a big dog. I went yesterday and they had this new litter of about 6 chow chow puppies. They were about 2 months old and looked like cute little balls of fur (there's that word cute again). I have heard that sometimes they have a temperament problem and might attack strangers etc. Does anyone have any experience with these dogs? Or know about the average temperament? I have a small yard, but will obviously need to take him/her for a walk every day. I was also considering a beagle, or a wiener dog. Any input would be appreciated.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    american cocker spaniels r the schitttt and they do not shed at all unlike chowchow.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytone36
    I'm currently in the market for a dog. I want to get one from a shelter for a few different reasons. I live in a condo, so I can't get a big dog. I went yesterday and they had this new litter of about 6 chow chow puppies. They were about 2 months old and looked like cute little balls of fur (there's that word cute again). I have heard that sometimes they have a temperament problem and might attack strangers etc. Does anyone have any experience with these dogs? Or know about the average temperament? I have a small yard, but will obviously need to take him/her for a walk every day. I was also considering a beagle, or a wiener dog. Any input would be appreciated.

Heeeey he said "cute" lol I didnt have a chow, but my friends neighbor had one and the friggin thing looked like a lion it was so big, and mean too. IMO though, its all how they are raised. U might consider a smaller dog since u live in a condo.

OG

Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    Heeeey he said "cute" lol I didnt have a chow, but my friends neighbor had one and the friggin thing looked like a lion it was so big, and mean too. IMO though, its all how they are raised. U might consider a smaller dog since u live in a condo.

OG
    yeah, i know i need to consider a smaller dog. I just need to be patient. They had a 160lb Mastiff that had a bigger head than me. I would love to run around and wrestle with that dog

yeah, i know i need to consider a smaller dog. I just need to be patient. They had a 160lb Mastiff that had a bigger head than me. I would love to run around and wrestle with that dog

LOL, ya me too. My uncle used to have Great Danes(sp). One was an obese Great Dane. The friggin thing was so big u could ride it like a horse. He had another real big one that got lose one day and killed a baby calf. My uncle killed it after that happened.

OG

cb25 is offline Banned
    I used to have a chow/husky mix...thing was freaking enormous - like 90 lbs. He was one of the most loyal and sweet dogs i've ever had the pleasure of being around.

However, he had a history of attacking other dogs. He lived in a house with a ferret no problem, but any time another dog came near (while out walking) he'd snap. Same thing with old people - i still can't figure that one out.

Very sweet at home...but very big potential for danger. it's a lot of how you raise him and whether or not you're able to accept the liability of owning a dog with a possible temperment.

Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    I used to have a chow/husky mix...thing was freaking enormous - like 90 lbs. He was one of the most loyal and sweet dogs i've ever had the pleasure of being around.

However, he had a history of attacking other dogs. He lived in a house with a ferret no problem, but any time another dog came near (while out walking) he'd snap. Same thing with old people - i still can't figure that one out.

Very sweet at home...but very big potential for danger. it's a lot of how you raise him and whether or not you're able to accept the liability of owning a dog with a possible temperment.

yeah, the whole thing is probably not worth the risk, I work part time and start grad school next summer, so it would be just another thing to worry about.

Sierra_Breeze is offline Female Member
    I, don't think a chow would be the right choice for a condo, may wanna find a smaller dog.

Also don't flame me please but I have never met a chow that I liked they are very ill tempered. family member had one and it bit several people, my land lord had two and they tried to attack me while I was trying to pay my rent some years ago. Every one I've come in contact with has been overly aggressive.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I'm currently in the market for a wiener .... Any input would be appreciated.

thats disgusting.

WEINER dogs are WICKED .. I had 4 ... sammy, elly, max and bobbin. Wicked little buggers.. elly lived till she was 19 years old .. had a foot long tounge (easy mass) and couldnt see sh*t (mass stop pm'ing me... shes dead ok !!?) geesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    thats disgusting.

WEINER dogs are WICKED .. I had 4 ... sammy, elly, max and bobbin. Wicked little buggers.. elly lived till she was 19 years old .. had a foot long tounge (easy mass) and couldnt see sh*t (mass stop pm'ing me... shes dead ok !!?) geesus.

HA, i KNEW someone was going to point that out, but i wasnt sure on the spelling for dachshund...........(is that right)

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Lol.

I own a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, his name is Charlie. Beautiful dogs, very strong and loyal dogs too.

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Lol.

I own a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, his name is Charlie. Beautiful dogs, very strong and loyal dogs too.
    Yeah, I was checking those out on the net. Seemed like a good match for what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Lol.

yep .. TOTALLY UNDERATED in your points .. and overrated in all other negatives.

What a shame.

I have a American Pitbull Terrier. A blue, named Harley. You may have seen her in Sexy Kitties avatar. I'll get some more pics of her soon taking down tree branches ... shes a wicked dog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chow chow's-greyeeey.jpg  

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    i used to have a chow as a kid, and i recall it being a "disgrunteled" animals at times

yep .. TOTALLY UNDERATED in your points .. and overrated in all other negatives.

What a shame.

I have a American Pitbull Terrier. A blue, named Harley. You may have seen her in Sexy Kitties avatar. I'll get some more pics of her soon taking down tree branches ... shes a wicked dog.

awwww....cute little puppy....and yes i said "cute" again....

OG

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    awwww....cute little puppy....and yes i said "cute" again....

OG
    its okay bro, it is a pretty little puppy

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    OG said packin'!!!! That's so....xxxxxnope!

Dally my wife's here and she said your pups cute...

SID

Quote Originally Posted by ripsid
    OG said packin'!!!! That's so....xxxxxnope!

Dally my wife's here and she said your pups cute...

SID
    Whud i do...

OG

****! I can't even joke right tonight!!!!
    Well it's can't be funny anymore but what I meant to say was:
    OG said CUTE...especially since my wife had just said the same thing...
    God D*mn I'm a tool!!!!!

OH well....wide right on that one eh!?

SID

Quote Originally Posted by ripsid
    ****! I can't even joke right tonight!!!!
    Well it's can't be funny anymore but what I meant to say was:
    OG said CUTE...especially since my wife had just said the same thing...
    God D*mn I'm a tool!!!!!

OH well....wide right on that one eh!?

SID

hahaha...thats ok bro. The boys have been bustin my balls all day since i said "cute" in a earlier thread.....F'um all i say....

OG

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I've had 2 chows growing up. They are not aggressive dogs, but very stubborn. Training takes a bit of work. They remind me of cats. When you call them, sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. But they are affectionate and playful, and very protective of their owners.

I forgot to add ... if you don't want your chow to shed every where it takes a lot of grooming. I used to drop my dog off every other week so that is an extra expense you have to consider.
    Last edited by Carlos_E; 08-24-2004 at 08:21 PM.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I used to be a dogcatcher, and my experience with chows hasn't been pleasant. It seems that they're fine up to about 5 years, then their middle age crisis usually sets in, and they're trouble. One guy brought his in to the shelter after it chewed up his face.

I used to train German Shepherds in the military, they're pretty cool dogs, but they're prone to hip problems. Actually, a lot of the breeds have health problems . . . probably the healthiest dog you can get will be a mutt.

If I was gonna get a dog, I'd go for a Cairn terrier (Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz). I trained one for drug sniffing, and they're lots of fun. Inexhaustably playful, extraordinarily intelligent (they're like little kids, and some of 'em will try to talk to ya), cheerful, independant, and they're happy in apartments. Just brush 'em once or twice a week, and don't over feed 'em, and that's about it.

Of course, you should really decide what you want in a pet . . . English Bulldogs are suited for living the life of a couch potato, Afghans need lots of acreage to run and run. Pekenese will want to sit in your lap, many of the smaller terriers will be more interested in staying busy. Just depends on what you want, how much time you have to devote to your dog. Some crave attention and will self-destruct if you work long hours, others will be glad to see you when you open the door, then all they'll want is supper.

Check out the various breeds, know what you're getting, what they need. It's no good to get a dog that doesn't suit your lifestyle.

-Tock

decadbal is offline Banned
    get a small one u can beat up easlily

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    temperment is bullS### i have a pitbull they say there one of the worst dogs to own mine now going on 5 years old 60 pounds and she plays whit cats acts like a cat and she gets along with other dogs and people can come up to her and pet her if im there its all how u treat them u can never yell at them beat them thats how they turn bad

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    I used to be a dogcatcher, and my experience with chows hasn't been pleasant. It seems that they're fine up to about 5 years, then their middle age crisis usually sets in, and they're trouble. One guy brought his in to the shelter after it chewed up his face.

I used to train German Shepherds in the military, they're pretty cool dogs, but they're prone to hip problems. Actually, a lot of the breeds have health problems . . . probably the healthiest dog you can get will be a mutt.

If I was gonna get a dog, I'd go for a Cairn terrier (Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz). I trained one for drug sniffing, and they're lots of fun. Inexhaustably playful, extraordinarily intelligent (they're like little kids, and some of 'em will try to talk to ya), cheerful, independant, and they're happy in apartments. Just brush 'em once or twice a week, and don't over feed 'em, and that's about it.

Of course, you should really decide what you want in a pet . . . English Bulldogs are suited for living the life of a couch potato, Afghans need lots of acreage to run and run. Pekenese will want to sit in your lap, many of the smaller terriers will be more interested in staying busy. Just depends on what you want, how much time you have to devote to your dog. Some crave attention and will self-destruct if you work long hours, others will be glad to see you when you open the door, then all they'll want is supper.

Check out the various breeds, know what you're getting, what they need. It's no good to get a dog that doesn't suit your lifestyle.

-Tock

good post, thanks for the info

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    I've had 2 chows, they make really good watchdogs. You have to socialize them alot when they are puppies, like take them out for walks to meet people or else they will be nasty to people when they come in your house. You also have to keep them from snapping at you when they are puppies you smack their jaw shut after they do.

If you have small children I would say just get another kind of dog. I think the males are less tempermental than the females. There is another problem with chows tho. If you have a pedigree one they tend to have problems with their eyes. My first chow I had to get surgery done on his eyelids because his eyelashes were growing in towards his eyes and it scratched his corneas.

My first chow would turn and snap at you if you came up behind him grabbed him. I got bit in the face twice that way, the second time I needed stitches, but aside from that they are great dogs.

Thanks for all the input fellas, after much deliberation, I'm not going to be getting the cute little chow. I'm going to keep going back to the shelter looking for a small beagle, or anything relatively small that sparks my interest

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Cool . . .
    Here's a website that gives a bit of info on the various breeds:
    http://www.terrificpets.com/dog_breeds/

. . . and a list of Rescue organizations where you can get dogs in good condition:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rescue.htm
    . . . there might be one in your area. They'll charge a bit more than the local pound, but they'll have been taken better care of, and will probably need less upfront $$$ at the vet's office when ya get 'em. And they probably won't have fleas, either . . .

Another helpful group is at:
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm
    These folks take unwanted dogs of whatever breeds they're familiar with, and find new owners. These are quality organizations; they don't adopt their dogs out to just anybody; they interview prospective owners carefully to make sure the dog is gonna be a good fit. Sometimes they even do site visits. But if you get one of these animals, you can rest assurred you're getting a healthy, happy, well cared for dog. And if things don't work out, these folks will generally agree to take the dog back and find another owner (so you don't have to abandon 'em on some lonely rural road, or take 'em to the pound to be put to sleep). Oh yah, they'll charge a bit more than the local pound will, but the $$$ pretty much goes for quality care. Worth it, IMHO.

Best,
    --Tock

Bro Beagles are good dogs except that there sniffer gets them in big trouble! They'll follow a scent until they're in another state!
    I tell you there's some great dogs out there, my 2 boxers are just awesome! And depending on where you are you can rescue one or another type of breed, infact my bud's neighbor rescues English Bulldogs.
    Goto www.petfinder.org and they have all sorts of dogs from all over the country! Check it out! They have links to rescue organizations as well!

I rescued my male, Ali aka Al (funny a boxer name Ali eh?!) and he's just awesome! If he's eating you can put your face right in his and he'll lick you as opposed to growling or bighting you...

Check it out..good luck!

SID

Hk45USP is offline New Member
    Get an American Pitbull Terrier, you won't be dissapointed, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hk45USP
    Get an American Pitbull Terrier, you won't be dissapointed, trust me.

I seen and alot of friends have dogs..

The American Pitbull is one of the best in terms of loyalty, affection and discipline.

They are not as bad as they are made out to be... thats for sure. I will never own another breed of dog.

Hk45USP is offline New Member
    I seen and alot of friends have dogs..

The American Pitbull is one of the best in terms of loyalty, affection and discipline.

They are not as bad as they are made out to be... thats for sure. I will never own another breed of dog.

Nice looking pit, Dally. Like the collar. I have a male chocolate rednose at home that I love to death.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    thats disgusting.

Seriously fvcking funny!. Only true doggie lover I know on the board is Rak_Ani
    I'm useless with them.

Thread Information