Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    flitcher is offline New Member

Depressed about my height

First off this is my first post here, like the community.

I feel so ashamed of my height, technically I am above average - 5' 9" 3/4, but I just hate being average, it seems like its a reoccuring theme in my life. I just feel like I got cheated out in my genetics as my mom is 5' 9" and my dad is 6'. Most males today you see them above their fathers height, I rarely see anyone below. Plus, it seems like every other guy on my campus is 5' 11" +, and I even see some girls above my height; it just makes me feel less of a man (if that makes any sense?)

I guess it also stems from the fact that my cousins are freaking tall, and that we live together (thanks to our grandfather) in a college house. Their heights are: 6' 2", 6' 5", and 6' 7"!!! Why the f*ck do I have to be the small one. When we go out I always catch myself looking for something that has a reflection to see how my stature stands up next to theirs.

Does anyone else feel like this? It freaking bugs me so much, its basically all I ever think about now.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Im 5ft 8 and my dad is 5ft 10. Id love to be your height! Personally i dont care anymore about being 5ft8 or 3ft8. I dont even think about it. so youre not a giant, get over it and move on.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    **** I would love to be your height........... I'm 5'7" short

It doesn't bother me though....... I never had any problems with women, and at my height it's a lot easier to look heavier as I put on only a few pounds.

Be thankful for what you have bro.

JohnDoe1234 is offline Member
    Guy , I'm 5"7 and I never worry about that crap. Even though I'm short , people still refer to me as the "big" guy because of my build. I'd rather be my height and have the body that I do , than be some skinny 6'+ guy. Height is not everything, as a matter of fact in a poll in Maxim magazine most girls said they liked guys in the 5'7 - 6' range. I have never had my height be a disadvantage in life.

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    im 5,8 and so is my dad its cool being short think of it this way when we put on lots of mass we look really big when a tall guy puts on the same amount of mass as us he dont look as big

flitcher is offline New Member
    I just feel like I am to blame for my height. I am 20 now, but during the years of 15-19 I rarely if ever drank and milk or ate any dairy products. My dermatologist reccommended it because of my acne, she said my body could not take all the salt in the dairy products so she said I should avoid them. On top of that, after my parents divorced when I was 14 I went into a depression until about 18. I use to play competitive soccer up until 15, but after that I really never did any sports or exercissed; I still stayed in shape (metabolism I guess), but I always heard someone who eats right, exercises, and is happy in life has the best chances to grow to the maximum their genetics will allow. To me it seems like I am to blame for my demise?

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Mass is 3' 2"...and you think you have problems?

rev911apollyon is offline Junior Member
    **** man your depressed because your 5'9 3/4. Im 5'4, now thats depressing haha

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah im 5'9" it sucks, but hey what can you honestly do about it? nothing so why worry

mass junkie is offline banned
    fuk this thread and everyone in it

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcher
    First off this is my first post here, like the community.

I feel so ashamed of my height, technically I am above average - 5' 9" 3/4, but I just hate being average, it seems like its a reoccuring theme in my life. I just feel like I got cheated out in my genetics as my mom is 5' 9" and my dad is 6'. Most males today you see them above their fathers height, I rarely see anyone below. Plus, it seems like every other guy on my campus is 5' 11" +, and I even see some girls above my height; it just makes me feel less of a man (if that makes any sense?)

I guess it also stems from the fact that my cousins are freaking tall, and that we live together (thanks to our grandfather) in a college house. Their heights are: 6' 2", 6' 5", and 6' 7"!!! Why the f*ck do I have to be the small one. When we go out I always catch myself looking for something that has a reflection to see how my stature stands up next to theirs.

Does anyone else feel like this? It freaking bugs me so much, its basically all I ever think about now.
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcher
    I just feel like I am to blame for my height. I am 20 now, but during the years of 15-19 I rarely if ever drank and milk or ate any dairy products. My dermatologist reccommended it because of my acne, she said my body could not take all the salt in the dairy products so she said I should avoid them. On top of that, after my parents divorced when I was 14 I went into a depression until about 18. I use to play competitive soccer up until 15, but after that I really never did any sports or exercissed; I still stayed in shape (metabolism I guess), but I always heard someone who eats right, exercises, and is happy in life has the best chances to grow to the maximum their genetics will allow. To me it seems like I am to blame for my demise?
    Your height isn't the issue. You just have low self esteem period. I bet if you could change your height tomorrow you would find something else to be depressed about. I am 5'6" and height has no bearing on my self worth. Some people are shorter, some are taller, so what. Why are you putting so much importance on the outside? People really don't care about height unless you have a profession (modeling or basketball) that requires it. If someone teases you about it, they do it because they know it bothers you. Stop looking at it as a negative. You're average height. So what. I'm sure you have other skills that stand above average. What are you good at? Focus on that.

Steroids101 is offline Member
    Wow everyone on this board is short lol, Im 5' 8"!

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I'm 6'0 or just a little above that. I always wanted to be 6'2". I just think it's human nature to want "more" of everything. The good thing is the older you get(I'm 38) the more comfortable you get in your own skin. It's one of the few things that are a bonus of getting older. I understand where you are coming from but in the long run you will see that it is not as important as you imagine (I do not believe it's your fault because of lack of dairy etc.. for what it's worth)

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    im 5'7... be thankful your 5'9 lol

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    im 5'11 and a half. but i would lova to be 6'2". and if i was 6'2", i bet that i would want to be 6'4". you just have to accept what you cant change and live with it.

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member
    Flitch,
    Try not to let it bother you. MOST all guys feel the same way about one thing or another. Tall guys want to be shorter, Shorter guys want to be taller. Skinny guys want to be wider. Wide guys want to be skinnier. Its a complete circle. I'm bout 6 foot with long legs and thiner build. Hell, I've always wanted to be a little shorter and a wider build. On the other hand, my brother is shorter with a wider build. He use to tell me that he wished he was taller and thinner.
    One thing to remember, these **** media/marketing companies are always putting pictures of what they believe is the "perfect" person. Don't pay any attention to that stuff......... Peace out.

DADDYDBOL is offline Anabolic Member
    i know what you mean....well kinda....i'm a little over 6'1" but my dad is 6'5" and my brother is 6'4" so i was the short one....oh well at least old ladys don't ask you to get sh!t off the top shelf at the grocery store....

oh yeah....you know what we say....'watch out for those short fookers'.....

Tony Soprano is offline Associate Member
    I'm 5-9 and I could careless. I've always been one of the shorter guys growing up in school and what not, but I've always made up for it in tenacity. I played catcher in baseball and corner and safety in football.

plus I have a giant shlong, so that makes up for any 'shortcomings'

Physical_Specimen is offline Junior Member
    What a pathetic thread . . oh boo whooo . . I'm 5"8, many people in here are smaller in height then you . . get a grip buddy. No sympathy here, walk around in Timbalands or some ****, bring your height up a couple inches if it bothers you so much . . . . . People got much bigger problems then being 5"9 in height . . . .

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Physical_Specimen
    People got much bigger problems then being 5"9 in height . . . .
    Yup, like having no sympathy for someone merely posting his feelings.

You are not obligated to respond to threads you deem silly.

~SC~

Raven8264 is offline Junior Member
    Specimen, you obviously haven't a clue what you're talking about.

If you had watched the Seinfeld episode where George meets this chick in timberlands, then realizes he has to wear timberlands every time they see each other so she doesn't realize he's *adding height*, then you would realize the problems this would cause.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm a tad over 6', and lemme tell ya, being short has its advantages.
    First off, you shorter guys have a wider variety of clothes/shoes than us taller guys. Plus, we don't fit into a lot of cars comfortably (or at all). If you're over a particular height, you can't fly a military airplane. Shorter guys have advantages when it comes to lifting, too . . .

All that you really need are legs that are long enough to reach the ground. After that, it's all gravy. If you want to despair over your height, feel free, but it won't change anything. But if you do, keep in mind that there are distinct advantages to not being tall, and you have 'em. Not too tall, not too short. Just about right.

Relax, you're doing just fine . . .

-Tock

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    i'm 6'3"-6'4"ish

decadbal is offline Banned
    today is the whiny member day

Quote Originally Posted by DADDYDBOL
    oh well at least old ladys don't ask you to get sh!t off the top shelf at the grocery store....
    This is exactly my point. If people know it bothers you, they will make fun of you.

samax64 is offline New Member
    I have to be the shortest one here at 5-5 but hell had an issues with it when i was younger but you will grow out of that LOL!!!!

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Some of the most powerful people in History were short of stature, but huge at heart!!!

MJ

TooSmall is offline Associate Member
    i'm 6' and would rather be 5'7

want to trade?

Im 6'2 but have male pattern baldness... we all got our own issues, accept it and move on!

Tahq is offline Junior Member
    I'm 6'5" and will admit it is pretty **** good being taller...but it would also be nice being smarter, richer, better looking, healther, better built, hung like a horse, (Add your own here.), and so on. You take what you have and go with it, work on what you can improve, and accept the things you can't change because dwelling on them...well makes you depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    This is exactly my point. If people know it bothers you, they will make fun of you.

actually i was trying to make a point about how complaining about being 5'9" is about as trivial as complaining about me having to reach the top shelf for an old lady....you know i would never make fun of people....

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    i am the same height as my mother at 5'9 and dad shoots for 5'10....At one point i was uncomfortable or embarrassed to be the same height with mom sine most of my cousins and friend are a at least in 5’11+ range and taller than their dads….u can’t do nottn about it so i've come to live with it, plain and simple. If you are worried about women as u said “sizing themselves up” to you only thing u can do is go to a shoe store get yourself some tight azz pair of leather shoes/boots with a slightly medium heel already on them than go to a shoe repair shop and upgrade to a much thicker or bigger heel, wearing dress pants without cuffs or jeans will cover most of the shoe which will be unnoticed at all and u’ll add some height that way if u r that worried. In terms of women, my height is not an issue for me anymore primarily because of my nice size gains and taller bros wish they could look like me....

Buying heels isn't the answer. He said "I just hate being average, it seems like its a reoccuring theme in my life." That tells me it's more than just not liking his height. Flitcher needs to see a therapist to help him with his self esteem issues.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Huh.
    The average person in the US is only "average." But then again, 49.5% of everyone is below average, and another 49.5% is above average, leaving only 1% of the population to be "average." That's not very many people when ya look at it that way. So if you're in the 1% that's "Average," that puts you in a special group of people, even more exclusive than the top 2% of people who qualify to be in the MENSA Society (smart folks).

--Tock

talan is offline New Member
    I'm 6'˝ and I'm considered short here in sweden. I'm roughly 10 cm taller than my old man but yet, here I am still complaining 'bout me height. And it also bugs me alot. I wish I lived in china. There I would tower at least a few

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Im 5' 8" I think about it once in a while but not 99.9% of the time. Why worry about what you cant change.
    Maybe that's why I like to travel to Asia, I'm above average height there. LOL

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    2004 thread

hummerman is offline Associate Member
    Its not how tall you are..........Its how big your guns and HAMMER are!!!
    lol

Im 5"7 and love it.......
    Women..........no issue at all........ tapped over 50 of them in my 34 years

Id hate to be 6 foot.......... just looks plain uncomfortable........

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    lol at the old thread......but for information im 5.6 and never once in my life have i ever thought about being taller.....more muscular YES.....taller never..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information