Pork Chop is offline Member

Personal trainers - do you believe in them?

Theres one i'm thinking of hiring.
    Never had one before. Dude has a pic of when he competed - jacked to high heaven.

I'm depressed about my shape (again) and wonder if a trainer would help.

My life experience proves you ask a question to 10 guys and you get 10 different answers about lifting. It's aggravating.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    No i do not...the only time i feel a trainer is an asstet is if you are competing and need someones opinion if you are on track and to keep your head of straight...but to get in general shape anyone can do it alone, all it takes is about 3 hours of research and you should be set...as for 10 different answers from 10 different people, well there is more then one way to lift and more then one way to diet...as a matter of fact there is proly 100,000 lifting techniques which all work some better then others, it's called a learning curve, you try as many as you can and see what works best for you, i try to change my workout routine ever 4-6 weeks, and i have been doing that forever, so you can imagine how many workouts i have gonne through, i know which once work best for me and what kind of a split etc...but i am always willing to try out a new work out...good luck...XXL

PS. I am available as a personal trainer for a small fee of 150.00/hr

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    There are very few people i would actually pay to train me for even a day let alone long term. Wouldnt have minded training with mentzer tho.

decadbal is offline Banned
    im a trainer and it depends on the type person u are, ppl who dont or cant stay motivated need em..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop
    Theres one i'm thinking of hiring.
    Never had one before. Dude has a pic of when he competed - jacked to high heaven.

I'm depressed about my shape (again) and wonder if a trainer would help.

My life experience proves you ask a question to 10 guys and you get 10 different answers about lifting. It's aggravating.
    Well, your frustration probably lies in the fact that you are focused on getting advice on LIFTING.

I'd suggest finding one who knows a plethora about how you really change how you look, NUTRITION.

Don't forget that aspect, it should actually come first.

~SC~

Pork Chop is offline Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Well, your frustration probably lies in the fact that you are focused on getting advice on LIFTING.

I'd suggest finding one who knows a plethora about how you really change how you look, NUTRITION.

Don't forget that aspect, it should actually come first.

~SC~
    I would like to mirror your lifestyle (food, workout and supplements).

I look at you and know you've figured out what works for you.
    I'm still experimenting. 10 years now i still haven't figured out what you know.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, it all depends on who's the trainer. Take the trainers I see at my gym.(any personal trainers reading this, this is my view only from my gym) But, These guys are skinny toothpicks. Even the women trainers are out of shape. I don't want someone who isn't big or in shape training me. I watch what they do to new clients and it scares me. I think sooner or later someone is going to have a heart attack. They push overweight people way to much in the beginning. I think they don't know what they are doing.

LoadeD_PistoL is offline Associate Member
    play around with weights and let the first month or two be the learning experience with various workout techniques...Diets differ because every1 is at different level with their weight and goals plus metabolism system is not the same for every1. Those 10 guys u speak of with different views are going by their personal experience and know their body well enough to know what workout methods best respond to them personally based on seeing mad results, they tell u what works for them, but not you. You must experiment on your own and go from there.......I know more info than many personal trainers out there simply by searching on the net and i would not trust some certified punk either because most have no clue....$150-$250 u can become a certified personal trainer by taking a multiple choice exam...............to get credible info is to RESEARCH on your own and make decisions from there.........

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop
    I would like to mirror your lifestyle (food, workout and supplements).

I look at you and know you've figured out what works for you.
    I'm still experimenting. 10 years now i still haven't figured out what you know.
    just tell him u thin hes cute, SC is used to gay come ons..

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    just tell him u thin hes cute, SC is used to gay come ons..
    did he turn you down decadbal

never... he wasnt awake, a milkshake and roof and i got me so swole alright..

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    personal trainers ive known are like doctors or car mechanics.....basically think they know it all, and are very stubborn to change opinions or admit there wrong

spkmania is offline Associate Member
    waste of money, do some research yourself and save some cash. just yesterday i saw a personal trainer showing this guy how to do deadlifts. the way the trainer was having this guy do the deadlifts so bass ackwards he would've thrown out his back if he had been lifting more than 20 lbs.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    few of the trainers at my gym are slobs. youd think that if you were trying to "sell" a new body youd atleast keep your own in great shape. dont get me wrong one of them prob would run circles around me cardio wise (seen him run at 7.0 for 1.5 hrs) but **** lose that beer gut!!!!

UnNaturalBuff is offline Member
    Personal trainers can be cool. The first on I used was a nutritionist too and he changed my workouts ever two weeks also to see what I liked the best. I don't use him anymore but he sure taught me alot and he's cool to bullsh*t with at the gym.

No..

shorty2big is offline Member
    I've been training people for many years now. No, I dont believe everyone needs a trainer. I wouldnt even hire the majority of trainers that I know or see. It's fairly easy to become a trainer and the majority of trianers that I see pretty much have no clue what the **** they are doing. To say that no one needs a trainer is dumb 2. I dont know about the gyms you guys/girls train in, but I would say at least 60-70 % of the people I see day to day are doing the most rediculous made-up exercises, are using complete wacked out form, have looked the exact same for years, etc. . A trainer can benefit you. If you do decide to spend money on a trainer, ask yourself these questions: take the time to observe them for a while, see how they interact with their clients, do they look lost as they take thier clients through work outs?, do they train every client the same, are they themselves in shape?, talk to thier clients and get some opinions, and finally ask them for thier credentials. See how long they have been working out and training people. Also make sure that your trainer has a good nutrional knowlegdge. That's 70% of the battle right there. You will also get different opinions from every trainer just like you will get different opinions for every joe schmoe you ask a question 2. No one knows everything. It's a constant learning experience in this field. If you are considering hiring a trainer at your gym yet no one there stands out in your eyes, dont waste your time or money.
    S2B

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Dont beleive in them...maybe for basic advice to a complete newbie...possibly..but for real info/advice/plans...heck no. Many PT's are internet trained...and for that reason, there is plenty of info out there on proper techniques, routines etc etc.
    Last edited by BamaSlamma; 08-31-2004 at 11:55 AM.

Thread Information