Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Originally Posted by GS from AF

My name is GS, and I'm an Anabolic Freak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted at AnabolicFreakz, by myself

Thought I would address a topic that I think many of us battle with, yet I've never seen anyone talk about it.

When I began serious weight training, some 7+ years ago, I had many hobbies, and many things I enjoyed doing.

I was an avid hunter, loved camping, and loved the outdoors. I was one of the biggest sports nuts you would ever find, and I spent the majority of my time honing my fantasy football skills. I kept in close contact with the majority of my "good" buds that I grew up with. Spoke to them often, and always hung out with them and their wives, and kids, etc.

In the year 2000, things began to change. Ive never admitted it to anyone, not even my wife, but I think they have changed for the worse. Things I used to enjoy mean nothing to me now. I haven't pulled my bow out and went deer hunting in 3 years. I've spent less and less time in the woods since I started using AAS. I've began to care less and less if I see an old buddy or not. I tend to get an attitude now and again that makes it not very fun to be around. I don't speak to my parents NEAR as much as I used to. I don't like to be inconvinenced by anyone, not even my own kids.

Why?

The only thing that seems important to me now is my own body, and how big and strong I can be. I wake up, walk right to the bathroom, and look in the mirror. I plan cycles that I'll never do. I continually beat myself up over the fact that somewhere, in some gym, there is someone that is stronger, and more intimidating than I.

When I first got into this, I said "20lbs is all I want". That was countless amounts of gear ago, and I'm still not where I think I should be. I'm not shy to admit it, but this AAS use, and weight training has consumed my life, and is driving away those who care about me most.

I need to make changes. Not sure how, not sure when. But I do need to change.

No, I'm not going anywhere. Even if I ever did go clean, I'd still be here to support my brothers and sisters in the iron game. But, I just wanted to lay this on the line, in hopes that those newbies who get into this with the mind set that they can get where they want - it most likely won't happen.

There are more important things in life than this - we all know that. So if you are new, don't let the same things happen to you that have happened to me. Because if I sat here and told you that AAS use is NOT addictive, I'd be a liar. I'm living proof.

Sincerely - GS

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    This was a really great and honest post about something most
    of us never want to admit too... There's been alot of great
    replies to it on anabolicfreakz IMO a thread worth reading...

http://anabolicfreakz.com/forum/show...&threadid=9306

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I came across this post over at WCB and thought it was a point that many of us never stop to think about. AS use, just like alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc., is truly an addictive lifestyle if you let it spin out of control. Just like any other addiction it can cause financial problems, marital issues, legal trouble, and sometimes tragedy.

Let's look at it, not only from the physical aspect, but from the psychological aspect as GS stated. First cycle you are just looking for that edge to push you through a plateau, or to pack some muscle onto a skinny frame. After the cycle you see what the effects of a diet, excercise, and AS regimine can really do to the human physique. The feeling of boosted self-esteem, confidence, energy, and overall well-being that normally accompanies a cycle. This is where the addictive seed is planted.

I for one can speak from personal experience, that guys who run a cycle and say this will be my only one are only fooling themselves. It happened to me many years ago and I have seen it happen to countless others. Now, with anything there are always a few who can walk away and only do one, but those individuals are few and far between. Then comes the next cycle, the change in priorities, the alienation from family and friends, and the obsession with the physique and how you are perceived by others.

I guess the point I want to make, is what GS was trying to get across. If you step foot into this game, then be prepared for it from an emotional standpoint. I do believe that if you are conscious of the situation, then it is much easier to control for most. If you ignore it, then you are setting yourself up for a crash of reality eventually. Be aware and be safe!

Doc M

BDTR is offline Retired
    I'm there and been there for a long time.

Recently at my gym, someone came in who was stronger than me, in return i went home and doubled my dbol dosage and upped my test, I'd call that a problem.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Post of the year in my opinion.

It doesn't get ANY more real than this.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    My name is GS, and I'm an Anabolic Freak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted at AnabolicFreakz, by myself

Thought I would address a topic that I think many of us battle with, yet I've never seen anyone talk about it.

When I began serious weight training, some 7+ years ago, I had many hobbies, and many things I enjoyed doing.

I was an avid hunter, loved camping, and loved the outdoors. I was one of the biggest sports nuts you would ever find, and I spent the majority of my time honing my fantasy football skills. I kept in close contact with the majority of my "good" buds that I grew up with. Spoke to them often, and always hung out with them and their wives, and kids, etc.

In the year 2000, things began to change. Ive never admitted it to anyone, not even my wife, but I think they have changed for the worse. Things I used to enjoy mean nothing to me now. I haven't pulled my bow out and went deer hunting in 3 years. I've spent less and less time in the woods since I started using AAS. I've began to care less and less if I see an old buddy or not. I tend to get an attitude now and again that makes it not very fun to be around. I don't speak to my parents NEAR as much as I used to. I don't like to be inconvinenced by anyone, not even my own kids.

Why?

The only thing that seems important to me now is my own body, and how big and strong I can be. I wake up, walk right to the bathroom, and look in the mirror. I plan cycles that I'll never do. I continually beat myself up over the fact that somewhere, in some gym, there is someone that is stronger, and more intimidating than I.

When I first got into this, I said "20lbs is all I want". That was countless amounts of gear ago, and I'm still not where I think I should be. I'm not shy to admit it, but this AAS use, and weight training has consumed my life, and is driving away those who care about me most.

I need to make changes. Not sure how, not sure when. But I do need to change.

No, I'm not going anywhere. Even if I ever did go clean, I'd still be here to support my brothers and sisters in the iron game. But, I just wanted to lay this on the line, in hopes that those newbies who get into this with the mind set that they can get where they want - it most likely won't happen.

There are more important things in life than this - we all know that. So if you are new, don't let the same things happen to you that have happened to me. Because if I sat here and told you that AAS use is NOT addictive, I'd be a liar. I'm living proof.

Sincerely - GS

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Ive noticed this too, its all about my own body, i dont even like icehockey that much anymore...
    All i think about is good clean food, new routines, gear (alot) and sex. The gear has made me care less about others.
    Most friends ive lost contact with if they dont train with me in the gym or dojo, its like i cant be bothered with them.

GeoQuadzilla is offline Senior Member
    this post holds so true to my life. I might get in deep about it later.

DADDYDBOL is offline Anabolic Member
    its just human nature....if it wasn't this it would be something else and to be quite honest....this is a heII of a lot better for you than many other vices....if this makes you drive loved ones away then you most likely had problems before hand.....

as pbnyc said 'this is what we do...its who we are'

i do give him props for being upfront about personal struggles but in all my life has gotten better in the last 4-5 years because i stopped a couple of habits that were nothing more than self destructive and really dedicated myself to a better body/lifestyle.....my family and i couldn't be closer....now on the weekends instead of sleeping off a hangover i'm at my moms or dads helping them around the house or going to the beach with friends....

decadbal is offline Banned
    its all worht it to me

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    its all worht it to me
    so looking great/but having it consume your life is more important than having relationships with friends/family and being just happy with who you are?

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badcamaro
    so looking great/but having it consume your life is more important than having relationships with friends/family and being just happy with who you are?
    yea, whats the diff in being a drunk or psycho soccer parent, or workin to much, its all the same...

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Great post DOC. Made me think about things a lot.

statuZ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badcamaro
    the key to bodybuilding is to keep it in moderation, you have to know when you are going overboard and when you need to stop have fun and pay attention to family and friends. atleast for me i see it that way, you need to find a balance between working out and leading a regular life!

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I noticed this too, and that's why I posted awhile back that I'm clean now and never going back to the gear.

There are more important things in life.

Trainhard is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DADDYDBOL
    its just human nature....if it wasn't this it would be something else and to be quite honest....this is a heII of a lot better for you than many other vices....if this makes you drive loved ones away then you most likely had problems before hand.....

as pbnyc said 'this is what we do...its who we are'

i do give him props for being upfront about personal struggles but in all my life has gotten better in the last 4-5 years because i stopped a couple of habits that were nothing more than self destructive and really dedicated myself to a better body/lifestyle.....my family and i couldn't be closer....now on the weekends instead of sleeping off a hangover i'm at my moms or dads helping them around the house or going to the beach with friends....

Very well put, all in all this has been a great thing for my life. I like who i am now... good post

Thread Information