Iowa is offline Banned

Zeno's stadium paradox

Another thread reminded me of this.....I'm sure most of you have heard this, but just in case you forgot...

It is impossible to traverse a stadium because before you cover the whole stadium, you must cover the half; and before you cover the half, you must cover the quarter; before the quarter, the eighth; etc. etc. to infinity. Therefore, to traverse a stadium is to traverse an infinite number of halves in a finite time. The same argument may be applied to any spatial interval.

Another way to look at it is this.

say im in a square room with my back against a wall and I want to get to the wall on the other side of the room. First, I half to walk half way there, then half way again from that point, then half way from that point...So I will never get to the other wall. Things that make you go hmmmm......

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    well he knew little about calculus it seems. as he approaches more half of halfs etc. the time it takes him to traverse that half goes to zero. of course, i think calc came a little after his time...but i dunno for sure

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    well he knew little about calculus it seems. as he approaches more half of halfs etc. the time it takes him to traverse that half goes to zero. of course, i think calc came a little after his time...but i dunno for sure
    I agree with you bro, his "paradox" is flawed. This site has some good explainations. http://www.jimloy.com/physics/zeno.htm Just wanted to get people to think about it.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    say im in a square room with my back against a wall and I want to get to the wall on the other side of the room.
    you get there by walking to the wall.

i also dont see the point in this post. yea, you cant ever reach a destination if you always travel half the distance.
    Last edited by Psychotron; 09-12-2004 at 10:06 PM.

the point is straight forward. Logically, you would never reach the wall. by observation, you know that you do reach the wall. hence the paradox.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    This problem is a common sense fallacy and was proven so after the invention of Calculus.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    the point is straight forward. Logically, you would never reach the wall. by observation, you know that you do reach the wall. hence the paradox.
    theres no paradox, all he said was you can never reach a destination by traveling half the distsance each time, thats a fact.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I'll reiterate. The key is the infinite number of iterations.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    This problem is a common sense fallacy and was proven so after the invention of Calculus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    theres no paradox, all he said was you can never reach a destination by traveling half the distsance each time, thats a fact.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    This boils down to time intervals and convergent and divergent series:

The series
    1/1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 .... converges at 2
    whereas
    1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 .... diverges to infinity

The first series represents the intervals travelled while crossing the stadium. Therefore we know he's traveling a finite distance. Assume he's traveling at a constant speed. Finite distance / constant speed = finite amount of time

No calculus needed (in the explanation).

but it doesnt answer the question. finite distance\constant speed perhaps equals a finite amount of time but it doesnt explain how he is able to cross the infinite number of halfs.

Thread Information