Thread: Public Speaking

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member

Public Speaking

I have a speech class which is close to 150 people. We have 10 speeches druing the year and the professor picks something like 20 or so people to present any given speech. Now I'm a extreamly shy, intravert person. Speaking in front of 150 people is going to be immpossible.. anyone ever had to do this? How did you prep and hendle it..? I'm thining of having a shot or two before class... and yes it is a dumb idea...

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    I have a speech class which is close to 150 people. We have 10 speeches druing the year and the professor picks something like 20 or so people to present any given speech. Now I'm a extreamly shy, intravert person. Speaking in front of 150 people is going to be immpossible.. anyone ever had to do this? How did you prep and hendle it..? I'm thining of having a shot or two before class... and yes it is a dumb idea...
    So thats why you are so outgoing on this site, usually the way it works i guess.

Here is the best piece of advice you can have on giving a speech!! Seriously, I had a great public speaking professor. Practice, practice, practice. The better you know your speech the easier it is to give it. Because you will have so much confidence in what you are saying, it becomes a lot easier. That is seriously the number one way to get rid of some anxiety, i promise! Also, try to have a power point or some kind of powerful visual aid, this way the focus is off you and on the visual. Take your time and breath regularly while giving the speech. If you feel like you are getting nervous up there, flex your entire body for several seconds and then release, that helps calm you down. But first and foremost, practice your speech over and over and over again in the mirror. good luck bro.

Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    So thats why you are so outgoing on this site, usually the way it works i guess.

Here is the best piece of advice you can have on giving a speech!! Seriously, I had a great public speaking professor. Practice, practice, practice. The better you know your speech the easier it is to give it. Because you will have so much confidence in what you are saying, it becomes a lot easier. That is seriously the number one way to get rid of some anxiety, i promise! Also, try to have a power point or some kind of powerful visual aid, this way the focus is off you and on the visual. Take your time and breath regularly while giving the speech. If you feel like you are getting nervous up there, flex your entire body for several seconds and then release, that helps calm you down. But first and foremost, practice your speech over and over and over again in the mirror. good luck bro.

thoes are some very good ideas. thanks however i'm a very confident person in real life.. some may even say im cocky.. however when it comes to speaking infornt of large crowds.. i reather die then give the eulagy..

brian11 is offline Member
    thoes are some very good ideas. thanks however i'm a very confident person in real life.. some may even say im cocky.. however when it comes to speaking infornt of large crowds.. i reather die then give the eulagy..
    public speaking is the number one fear among americans, more so than dying.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Find yourself a nearby Toastmasters group. After you give your first talk (just an introduction of yourself to them), you can practice your school speeches on them.
    They're incredibly supportive, and they are the best public speaking education you'll ever get.
    Good luck,
    -Tock

Elysium is offline Productive Member

Ive given a ton of speechs, to be honest im a very social person, like to be the center of attention so im not fussed with talking in front of lots of people.

Tips?

Focus on one or two people, talk to people dont talk to the crowd.

150 aint alot of people man, i mean u know most of them right?

the few days before, just practice on ure friends and that

get someone you know well to come along

decadbal is offline Banned
    just drink a little before u give it..lol

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    thats very true.. I have SAD and i turn red talkin infront of 2 people... but im very ok on here cause you cant see me... hum!

good luck Ellie... whatever you do, dont go tell the teacher cause then she/he WILL MAKE you read one of them... atleast this way you have a 33% chance of not being called to

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I have many, many times but I actually like public speaking. If the thought of it freaks you out just pretend you are speaking to little children and remember that 90% of them are there only becasue they have to be and are probably thinking about what they're having for lunch. Prep? Practice, or it's something you aer naturally good at.....personally, I like to ensure I have **** near mastery of the material I'm speaking of.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have had these classes. I had to do these things in highschool too. I was shy back then, but now I'm a stripper. But anyway, I understand. At first it seems like the worst thing. I would have rather been beaten to near death by gang memebers than talk in front of class. I hated it. I would get a nervous knot in my gut, the whole time in anticipation. I would feel the poop urge in my intestines. My diaphram even semed to quiver. But basically all i can say is, after you do it 2 times, it gets better, and better. Your just gonna have to deal with your nervousness for a couple of talks, maybe 3. After that, the last 7 or so won't make you that nervouse. Infact, you might actually like it! Weird, i know. But this class is an excellent persoanal growth experiance for you. Think about all the things you will be able to do once you complete this class. You will have conquered the number one fear in americans. Everything after this will be a breeze.
    It's just one of those things you just gotta throw yourself into man. I't's like...you know that set of calf raises are gonna suck, but you don't concentrate on that negativty, you just do it.

Hers some things to remember. First of all, if your like me, you don't pay attention in class when somebdy is talking, whether it be the teacher or whatever. Alot of kids are like that. So basically, just pretend nobody is listening, cuz they aren't. They don't care. You are boring to them, no matter how good your speech is. So so what if you are boring? As long as you don't make a fool of yourself it doesn't matter. Give yourself permission to be boring, especially on the first speech. Even if you do look like an idiot up there for some reason, don't worry. People might laugh a little, but it won't make them dislike you, in fact, it will make them like you more! Cuz then that just makes their speech look better. So don't worry about people not liking you after your speech or thinking you are a loser. They won't. They will have positive feelings towrds you if you suck, as well as sympathetic ones. Most of the time people only hate the guy who blows everybody away with an awesome speech. Ya know?

And just think of Arnold and how well he talks. Pretend your him.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Good points, I agree that finding a spot or two in the room to focus on at the rear on both sides will allow you to look through the crowd as if you are looking right at them. Know your speech by heart. Take your time and pause, most people can't do that because the silcence scares them. If you think you've got a good one start with a joke about your topic, it will loosen up everything a bit. Lastly who the **** are they anyway? They are all as scared as you take some solace in that.

thanks guys.. a lot of helpful advice.. im a see how the first one goes.. and then reconsider my drinking..

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    i took 6 shots of vodka before i went up on stage.. it worked pretty well for me! ahahaha

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    thats very true.. I have SAD and i turn red talkin infront of 2 people... but im very ok on here cause you cant see me... hum!

good luck Ellie... whatever you do, dont go tell the teacher cause then she/he WILL MAKE you read one of them... atleast this way you have a 33% chance of not being called to
    me too but the shots worked like a **** charm for me.. i can do stand up if i am a little tippsy! hahahah i had them rolling.

chris64 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    If you think you've got a good one start with a joke about your topic, it will loosen up everything a bit.
    I agree with Victor. Getting a quick laugh has always put me more at ease. Just make sure your joke doesnt suck.

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    I had this class last term and i wasnt to happy about doing it either, but what was KEY for me was to know my content inside and out. I'd have a note card with the main points i wanted to hit and then id just start talking and since i knew it so well it just kinda flowed out. It worked out fine

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    what helped me

1) knowing the topic well. speak extemporaneously, but have really well wrote out notes

2) dont stare at your notes

3) look around, i get more comfortable by looking around at people and seeing their reactions. keep lose, use soem body language

4) remeber, eveyone hates speech class

5) less than 10% actually gives a **** what your speech is on besides the teacher.

6) dont talk to the audience, talk to a group of friends that your telling a story to

keeping them all in mind, i did very well and i hated public speeking. its not too bad for me now.

Thread Information