chevy44 is offline Member

how do you get internet on two pc's w/ one modum..??

okay boys and girls... i just purchased a pc for my room, we already have a pc in the family room w/ cable high speed internet. now i was told to buy a wireless router so that both would have internet access. but i was also told that i need to purchase a wireless card (?? wtf is taht) so can someone help me out, im not exactly computer savvey.. and if there is another alternative that would be helpful too cuz the wireless card is about $70 (i heard) ....thanx for the help

Lady Legs is offline Female Member
    We had to do the same with our computers. Granted only one is up and running now. We just run the router we did not have to have anything additional. Just hooked it up. It should work just fine. Me and hubby had both computers running on a highspeed digital interenet access for almost 2 years.
    good luck.
    -LL

Granted ours was not wireless , But I really cant see what the difference would be.

decadbal is offline Banned
    u have to tape them together with duct tape

thanx...and bump

max-it is offline Member
    what operating system are you using. you may be able to get away with buying only one extra nic and using internet connection sharing.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Would running CAT5 cable to both computer be easy? If it is then Lady Legs idea with the router with a NAT built in would be the cheapest for you with the less amount of work. Lynksys and Netgear make nice routers and arent very expensive.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-it
    what operating system are you using. you may be able to get away with buying only one extra nic and using internet connection sharing.
    He would still need to run CAT5 to both machines and it would killl the bandwidth......... also, I haven't done ICS in a long time but I thought I only needed one NIC in each PC. But you are right that would be very cheap.

max-it is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    He would still need to run CAT5 to both machines and it would killl the bandwidth......... also, I haven't done ICS in a long time but I thought I only needed one NIC in each PC. But you are right that would be very cheap.
    ni with ICS you need two nics, it basically turns one machine into a router. As long as you have broadband you won't see a significant loss of bandwidth. Ideally, a wireless-G router and a wireless-G adaptor is best.

fitter-happier is offline New Member
    a standard cat-5 is no good. you need a "crossover cable" cat-5. only then will you be able to utilize the windows built-in ics feature. just know that in order to get net access from the secondary computer, the primary computer that's connected directly to the modem needs to be turned ON. pain i the rear, i know, but it's the only way it'll work.

as for alternatives to this setup, i'd personally go with a wired-router setup which basically looks like this:
    wall jack > modem > router > computer 1&2.

but if you prefer wireless, the premise is exactly the same. you'd still hook it up using the same configution scheme as with wired-routers, the difference being that you'd have to purchase two separate wireless network-interface-cards, or nic's. you can find them at newegg.com for reasonable prices. just run a search on "wireless ethernet adapters" and try to pick one out that is fully compatible with the wireless router you purchased. for example, if you have an 801.11g router, then go with a nic that has the same specs. otherwise, you might be capping your bandwidth which means slower than normal speeds. and obviously going balls out for a top of the line nic card that is capable of speeds your wireless router could never achieve is just a waste of money.

pm me if you'd like to know more.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    you dont need 2 wireless cards, just one. the back of a lynkys wireless router has ports for standard cat 5. Just make sure if you go with wireless get the 802G capable router/card. You should also invest in a booster for the router from lynksys it will extend your wireless range tremendously and dont forget to use a strong firewall with wireless!!! People can steal your info otherwise!

fitter-happier is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    you dont need 2 wireless cards, just one. the back of a lynkys wireless router has ports for standard cat 5. Just make sure if you go with wireless get the 802G capable router/card. You should also invest in a booster for the router from lynksys it will extend your wireless range tremendously and dont forget to use a strong firewall with wireless!!! People can steal your info otherwise!
    ahh, my bad. that's right. you only need one, since you figure at least one computer will be right next to the wireless router

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    u have to tape them together with duct tape
    Thats funny and you spelt it correctly.

wtf??? everything you guys just said meant absolutely no sense... i think im just going to go into the store tell them my situation and hand them my credit card...

TooSmall is offline Associate Member
    youll get fcuked in the ass if you do that.... no vaseline either

buy a "d-link home router" and some cat 5 cable with rj45 connector on the end (colour is usually blue, the jack is slightly larger then a phone jack)

hook up the wall cable jack -> cable modem -> router (there will be a WAN(wide area network) port, this is where the cable modem is hooked up).

There will be multiple ports on the back of the router, they will be numbered. most likely there will be 5 ports
    so hook up cpu #1 to the 1st, and #2 to the 2nd obviously

read through the manual there will be a dns address, you will have to connect to it in your web browser of one of the cpus hooked up to the router

here you type in the default password which is usually "admin", then your internet services login/pass as well as domain name and hit connect

BAM

your all set

any q's shoot me a PM

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Don't be a wussy, buy a Cisco 10000 series router.

That should work.

lol

its sad that i think im the only one who will get that

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy44
    wtf??? everything you guys just said meant absolutely no sense... i think im just going to go into the store tell them my situation and hand them my credit card...
    Find a nerdy friend and bribe him to set things up. Or

CompUSA will set up your whole rig if you can spare $70-100.
    This is hard to explain over a message board. You'll either have to teach yourself or shell out some cash.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    That would be sweet to have wires running all over your house. Up and down the stairs n stuff.

****.... i started to hook up the router today and i did it but for some reason the internet would not work... so i unhooked it. and i am back to step one... F U C K

****.... i started to hook up the router today and i did it but for some reason the internet would not work... so i unhooked it. and i am back to step one... F U C K
    Get some help from someone you know. It's going to be very hard to walk you through this on a bulletin board.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSmall
    youll get fcuked in the ass if you do that.... no vaseline either

buy a "d-link home router" and some cat 5 cable with rj45 connector on the end (colour is usually blue, the jack is slightly larger then a phone jack)

hook up the wall cable jack -> cable modem -> router (there will be a WAN(wide area network) port, this is where the cable modem is hooked up).

There will be multiple ports on the back of the router, they will be numbered. most likely there will be 5 ports
    so hook up cpu #1 to the 1st, and #2 to the 2nd obviously

read through the manual there will be a dns address, you will have to connect to it in your web browser of one of the cpus hooked up to the router

here you type in the default password which is usually "admin", then your internet services login/pass as well as domain name and hit connect

BAM

your all set

any q's shoot me a PM

listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about.

is that regarding a wireless connection? cuz the two pc's are far away from each other

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    is that regarding a wireless connection? cuz the two pc's are far away from each other
    yes but with a difference. i have the same set up as you. the key was the lan card and the router. i know nothing about computers so i asked a buddy of mine who is very good with computers. all he asked me to get was a zykel router, lan card and thats it.

i wil try to get the complete procedure from my bud. il be back

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    You will need a router, plus two additional CAT5 cables with the rj45 jacks.

Id reccomend the LinkSys BESFR41 router.

i wouldnt recommend you go wireless because its not even close to as fast as straight cable
    the novelty wears off quick anyways, i mean whats the point of being able to use your cpu anywhere in your house
    only place i use mine is in my computer room anyways

just my .02

and thanks spoon, 2nd year college for computer systems technology

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Broadband services generally dish out IP addresses for one and only one MAC address. If you already have a connection, hooking it up to a hub or router might not work until you give them a new MAC address. You can also use the computer you are currently using as a proxy server and run as many PC's through it as you wish.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    Broadband services generally dish out IP addresses for one and only one MAC address. If you already have a connection, hooking it up to a hub or router might not work until you give them a new MAC address. You can also use the computer you are currently using as a proxy server and run as many PC's through it as you wish.
    it wouldnt work for a switch or a hub, but it would for a router, since it will assign LAN IP addresses to every computer hooked up to it, and the router would take the place as the gateway pc with the WAN IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    You will need a router, plus two additional CAT5 cables with the rj45 jacks.

Id reccomend the LinkSys BESFR41 router.
    Follow this advice. Return the wireless router. Buy that router and call your ISP for further instructions.

good **** im gonna do it straight cable status ..thanx guys

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    just make sure you get the router... and not a hub....

the mac address that the isp will see is the router, which uses NAT (network address translation)... which makes your computers blind to the ISP..

just make sure you get the router.. not a hub.........
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im soo happy thanks guys

Thread Information